Using Lesson as an determing factor for activities in a course

Using Lesson as an determing factor for activities in a course

by October Smith -
Number of replies: 2
Hello!

We are putting together an online course of tools and programs that our district offers and can be used in the classroom. Upon completion of the 5-6 online portion, there will be a f2f component and at that time participants will receive a laptop to use while employed with us.

Included in the content of this course will be activities, quizzes and information regarding programs such as Office 2007, our email system, all things Google, Movie Maker, Photo Story, and more. While many of our staff needs all the help they can get, there are those that are proficient enough and don't need the basic training.

***Ideally*** I would like to create a sort of "pre-test" for each section that determines if they need to go through all of the information on that program (section).

My question is this...Can I use the lesson module to do that? If so, how?

I was thinking that maybe the choices would either lead them to [instructions for] activities/information set up in the course OR if they choose correctly the instructions at the end would ask that they skip x, y, and z activities. Done this way, is there a way to review the choices to see that they did not go back and change their answers?

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you so much!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to October Smith

Re: Using Lesson as an determing factor for activities in a course

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi October,
No and maybe smile In general, Moodle does not have an "if, then, else" conditional/dependency settings, or conditions/dependency based upon a range of scores.

There maybe several ways to use lesson but I am not sure they will be satisfactory. Sad to say some teachers cheat and if this is a concern, Lesson is not going to work.

I was thinking of creating a lesson with custom scoring, one attempt per question, creating a series of pretest questions, with content and more questions placed after the pretest. In the pretest, the last question's answers would have their all jump set to the end of lesson (one would receive a score). In the pretest I would give no feed back to any answer. The key would be to heavily weigh the pretest questions and/or heavily penalize a wrong answer (use negative scores), so if I answered all of them, I would "pass". But if I fell short, I would not and would be told to retake the Lesson (see lesson settings) and not take the pretest (honor system). The student (aka teacher) who chooes to take the content and not the pretest, would be asked more questions each worth less than a pretest question. However the sum of the "content" question scores would make it possible for a "passing" score in the gradebook.

The simple way would be to have a single course, each subject (Google, email and so forth) would be in a topic. The teacher is required to get a passing grade in the Quiz that is recorded in the gradebook. Other activities and resources in the topic are geared to help the teacher pass the quiz. Lesson would be one such aid. I would make sure each quiz used random questions drawn from a larger pool of questions in several question categories on each subject. You could use a Lesson for a pretest

There are contributed modules that might be of interest. I would suggest using the Certificate module in the above example. Here the teacher would have to pass the quiz to get the certificate. You could have a "pretest" quiz to help the teacher decide if they wanted to spend the time on taking the quiz that leads to the certificate. You could use the same question categories, just ask 2 or 3 questions (random or specific) instead of 10 from each category. The certificate module might also be useful in other ways in your district.

Other contributed modules might be Activity Locking (which I also use) or Hotpot (which I am told has range of scores conditional links). And do not forget the Questionnaire module for your own feedback from the teachers on your blended presentation.

More than you wanted to know. It is what I do, who I amsmile

Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Using Lesson as an determing factor for activities in a course

by James Walker -
Chris,
It sounds like October wants to do a testing-out function, I also want to do this. Each "Chapter" will start with a review and assessment. If the student can get 95% they know the material and can go onto the next "Chapter". I have read about the Conditional module in Moodle 2, but if I read you correctly there is no good way to do this independently now. I can set up a quiz and the teachers receives a grade report for the assessment and then directs the student to the appropriate chapter.

Jim Walker