Moodle 1.9: Students Can't Peer Edit

Moodle 1.9: Students Can't Peer Edit

by Melanie Mason -
Number of replies: 14
Hey everyone.

I just started messing with the Workshop function today and I'm experiencing an issue.

I want students to be able to assess a sample, assess their own work, and do at least 1 peer edit.

I have two student submissions.

They've assessed the sample.
I've assessed the sample.
And they've assessed their own work.

However they can't see each others work to do their peer assessments.

The submission end date is AFTER the assessment start date so they can still submit and get started on the peer edits. This also gives them time to make corrections.

I'm using Moodle 1.9

I've attached a screen shot of what one of my students sees in their window. But there are other students who have submitted assignments for peer review that this student cannot see. How can he peer edit??

Thanks for any help!
~~Melanie~~
Attachment small.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Mason

Re: Moodle 1.9: Students Can't Peer Edit

by Wouter Baars -
I am affraid it is broken. i hope 2.0 will fix the issues.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Melanie, in Workshop 1.9, students are able to start assessing peer's submission only after a certain time defined as $CFG->maxeditingtime. That is the same time that applies for editing own forum posts or glossary entries, for example. By default, this is 30 minutes. Peer submission should appear after this period. Please re-try and report.

Thanks, David
In reply to David Mudrák

by Melanie Mason -
Is it 30 minutes after a student has posted their work?

Or 30 minutes after the workshop submission deadline?

by Greg Wathke -
Hi Melanie,
I had trouble getting this to work also. The following are the conditions that I had to have set in order to get peer assessments to work correctly:

1. The "Start of assessments" date/time must come after the "End of submissions" date/time. In other words, submissions must be closed before peer assessment can begin.

2. The "Start of assessments" date/time must be at least 30 minutes after the "End of submissions" date/time.

3. The "Number of Assessments of Student Submissions" must be greater than 0.

If you look at the discussion in this thread, you will see that David states that the Beginning of Assessment period CAN be started before the End of Submissions period, but in my (admittedly limited) testing, I could not get it to work if I had the dates overlap.

I hope this helps,
Greg
In reply to Greg Wathke

by Melanie Mason -
I tried this and the other students essay is still not available for peer editing. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Would it be somewhere other than their main page when they go into the workshop?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Try to increase the Overall allocation setting in Workshop setting form.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Frédéric Hoogstoel -

Hello David.

Please, could you explain what the "Overall allocation setting in Workshop setting form" is and how it may allow submission and assesment periods overlapping ?

I use Moodle 1.9.9 Wokshop module.

In reply to Frédéric Hoogstoel

by Frédéric Hoogstoel -

Sorry : I found the Overall allocation setting in Workshop setting form. I didn't find the corresponding field in the french setting form because the translation is not "direct".

When I set the value 1 for this setting, with the same value for the number of assessments, the submission and assessment periods overlapping works !

In reply to Frédéric Hoogstoel

by Frédéric Hoogstoel -

When I set back to 0 Overall allocation setting, overlapping still works ! Hard to understand...

In reply to Greg Wathke

by Frédéric Hoogstoel -

Hi,

I get the same behaviour as Greg : the submission and assessment periods can't overlap.

Thank you Greg.

Frédéric

In reply to David Mudrák

by Melanie Mason -
So it's been thirty minutes and the screen has changed slightly.

It is now showing files under "Assessments of Work By Your Peers" section. But the only files showing up is the students own submission, and the teachers sample.

The student still can't see other student submissions.
Attachment small2.jpg
In reply to David Mudrák

by Chris Tusa -
This fixed the issue for me. I set the edit time back to 30 minutes, and problem resolved.

Thanks.

Chris