Gradebook Help.

Gradebook Help.

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 24
Hi There Everyone!
I am new to Moodle, and I was hoping I could have someone help me with some questions I have about the gradebook.

1. In the gradebook, when entering grades, is it possible to show at the top where the assignment name is, how many points it is worth? When I add multiple assignments and go to mark them, I forget how many the assignments are worth, as it only shows the assignment name.

2. Is it possible to Export the grades so that I have a nice spreadsheet format like the grader report itself? I find when I export it into excel, its all crammed up and hard to read so there is no point in posting the grades for my students. I would love it if it could be exported so it looks just like the grader report.

3. Is there a way to print student progress reports that show an individual student, all of their assignments, scores, and overall mark?

Please let me know as I am very interested.
Thank you so much.
Justin
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Gradebook Help.

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Justin,

1. You cannot display it there without some programming, but Grader report usually has a Range raw at the bottom, which shows min and max possible for the assignment.
If you do not see it, check out My Preferences area. Show Ranges needs to be set to Yes.

2. Export should provide you with a nice-looking speadsheet. There can be different reasons on why the export fails for you. What kind of issues the files has? Does it happen in every course?

3. Go to View area of the gradebook > User report.
Then select the name of the student from the drop-down menu at the right to see and print report just for one student.

Attachment 15Scr_Mar._28_07.15.jpg
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Deleted user -
Hi There!
Thanks for the reply.

With the student report, is there a way to print it off without printing the whole interenet page?

Also, I am attaching what my exported grades look like, and I will reply again with what I want them to (SOMEWHAT) look like.

Awaiting your reply,
Justin.
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
Here is something close to what I would like.
I know it would not be this detailed, but this is nice and spread out.

PS. Is there also a way to change the way that the gradebook sees empty scores instead of zeros.
When I add an assignment, and dont put any grades in, I dont want it to be counted as a zero. I want it to be counted as exempt until I enter a grade.
Is this possible?
Please let me know,
Thanks!
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
Try setting the category in which the assignment resides (or the course category if you don't have sub-categories) to exclude empty grades. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Deleted user -
Thanks!
Now are you able to tell me how to fix the way it exports the grades?
I uploaded what they look like and how bad they look.
Awaiting reply,
Justin
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
I guess the best way would be to work within Excel. You could use Excel formulas for rearranging the exported data in another worksheet formatted in the way you want. smile

by Deleted user -
And there is no place to exclude empty grades. sad
Could you upload a screen shot of where you are looking at?
Please let me know,
Thanks!
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -

by Deleted user -
Hi there again.
I have that option checked, and still all of my students are failing because I have not entered marks yet.
I cant have that as it is an incorrect reading, and they should be exempt until I give them a zero or something.
Please let me know how to fix this.
Thanks.
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
You can hide grade items in the gradebook until you complete their grading and ready to release the grades. For instance you can hide the course total until the end of the course and it won't appear in the student's grade report. Alternatively you can have all the relevant grade items locked in the gradebook and once you complete the grading for a certain activity you unlock the corresponding grade item so as to transfer the grades to the gradebook. Again, if the course total is locked it will remain empty until you unlock to update it. smile

by Deleted user -
Hello again!
Got it all figured out, I had to change the way it calculated the grades from sum to weights.
Now, could you explain 2 things to me please? smile

1. How do I get it so that when Im in the grader report, I can see how many points the assignment is worth, because If I have 10 assignments, I cant remember what each specific one is worth.

2. How to work within excel to change the grader report, so its not so messed up. Have you taken a look at the one that I uploaded for you. Also, is there a way to print the student progress report?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Justin
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
1. One simple way is to add the number of points to the assignment name.
2. That may require a bit of juggling with Excel formulas. Basically the idea is to have the data exported from Moodle in one worksheet (or workbook) and the template of your desire report in another. Then you can use 'Lookup & Reference' formulas to read data from the export into the template.

smile

by Deleted user -
Hello again.
Thanks for the reply.
2 more questions. smile

1. How can you print the user report without printing the whole page?
2. In the exported data, how do I show the assignment scores as points, and the course total as percent and letter like the gradebook shows?

Please let me know,
thanks!
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
1. If by "without printing the whole page" you mean without the header, then the report already takes care of that. So for instance if you display user report for all users and print, the header will be the first page, the footer will be the last page, and the report of each user will start in a new page.
2. It appears that this can't be done through the current UI. I'll see if I can come up with a quick scriptaround for creating a csv of the grades from the grader's report.

smile

by Deleted user -
That would be amazing!!
Thank you so much.
Look forward to hearing from you,
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
Try this:
  1. Use Firefox. (I haven't checked whether it works on other browsers)
  2. Download the attached text file.
  3. Edit the file and replace the string XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX with the link location of the grader report of your Moodle course.
  4. Add a hidden web page resource on the main page.
  5. In the Full Text box toggle to HTML source (toggle).
  6. Paste code from the text file into the editor and save. (Do not switch back to WYSIWYG mode)
  7. If you need to make changes to the url, modify the text file and repeat steps 3-5.
  8. Display the web page resource.
  9. Your grader report should be appear in the top section.
  10. Enter the row number of the headers line (assignment names) in the designated box. (First row of the table is 0)
  11. Enter the row number of the first details row in the designated box.
  12. Click 'generate CSV'.
  13. With some of luck a csv of the grader report will appear in the textarea at the bottom section.
  14. Create a text file.
  15. Copy the csv code from the text area, paste it into the text file, save and close.
  16. Change file type of the text file to csv.
  17. Open the csv file.
  18. With some luck the details of the greater report will appear in the worksheet.

See image below for illustration.

No guarantee.

Good luck! smile
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -

by Deleted user -
Thanks so much for everything you have done.

Another question. If I needed to change the software a bit, what files do I have to edit?

Please let me know,
Thanks!
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
If by "the software" you mean this scriptaround then all of it is in the gp2csv file. smile

by Deleted user -
Thanks!
Now say I wanted to edit the grader report, which file would I have to look at for that?
Please let me know.
Thanks!
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
What do you mean by "edit the grader report"? smile

by Deleted user -
I wanted to change the wording of 'range' to points, and then have it say the maximum points instead of minimum to maximum.
Awaiting your reply, smile
In reply to Deleted user

by Itamar Tzadok -
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. You should probably go over the gradebook docs to see what you can and cannot show in the grader report. Then play a bit with the options and report preferences to see how they work. smile