Moodle not showing correct version number after upgrade from 1.9.4 to 1.9.7

Moodle not showing correct version number after upgrade from 1.9.4 to 1.9.7

by Frank Claessen -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all,

I am running a moodle testing environment on my local webserver.
I am running Ubuntu Karmic and Apache 2.2.12

I ran an update through cvs, following the instructions from the upgrade documentation, however, moodle did not do any updating or upgrading of tables after this operation ?!?

Something must have gone wrong only I don't know what.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Frank
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Claessen

Re: Moodle not showing correct version number after upgrade from 1.9.4 to 1.9.7

by greg mushial -

Frank -

We did this update about a week ago - 194 to 197. Did you do that last step of updating, ie, (copied from update document)

----

The last step is to trigger the upgrade processes within Moodle.

To do this just visit the site administration block admin page (or http://example.com/moodle/admin) and the "Notifications" link.

Moodle will automatically detect the new version and perform all the SQL database or file system upgrades that are necessary. If there is anything it can't do itself (very rare) then you will see messages telling you what you need to do.

----

When we did the above we got screens and screens of output. [This is assuming you renamed the 1.9.4 directory to moodle-194old, created a fresh moodle directory and installed/updated into it, then copied the old config.php back in on top.] this is also assuming you didn't do the initial 1.9.4 install via "apt-get install moodle" - if you are like us and did (we made that mistake), you'll potentiall have db versioning problems and have to start a-fresh. [the apt-get moodle, at least 2 weeks ago had been hacked and had the wrong version id in it, so that when one started 1.9.7 it thought it has been back-leveled and not upgraded. If you did, you might see the thread we created w/re this http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=145662 ]

greg

In reply to greg mushial

by Frank Claessen -
Thx Greg,

I started the process all over again and did a manual install. Regretfully things went wrong at the database setup (see my new post on "1050: Table 'mdl_course_categories' already exists")

Regards

Frank
In reply to Frank Claessen

by greg mushial -

Frank,

Assuming (I know, always a dangerous thing to do wink  ) either a) you don't have any content in the db yet worth saving, or b) you've made backup copies and will be able to restore such later...  log into mysql and "delete" the moodle database.

-fire up a terminal session, enter mysql via "mysql -u root -p", enter the mysql root password; then "drop database moodle;" then recreate the database per the install instructions, and then "exit;"

Then clear the moodle directory, reunpack the .tgz file making a new moodle directory and then use the browser to call install.php...  then you should be good to go. It took us a couple three tries to get everything cleaned up from 194 and 197 installed clearnly...  but now we're seriously happy campers.

good luck - greg