Additional Info: attempt quiz closes allows student to reenter

Additional Info: attempt quiz closes allows student to reenter

by Bill Kopf -
Number of replies: 3

Student reports quiz set for 20 minutes closes on its own. It allows her to reopen but then does not have enough time to complete the quiz. The quiz is set for "no" on adaptive mode.

Student email response to inquiry of what happened exactly is:

Let me clarify some of the questions you and Paula had. Last week, I took the test at work on my work laptop. The only other site open on my computer was Course Smart, where I had the ebook open. However, I wasn't really in it; it was minimized on my screen. I was on question 12 and had about 9 minutes left on the timer. When I tried to answer question 13, it wouldn't allow me to click the answer. It just froze. Then the screen went balck and it kicked me completely out of moodle. I logged back into moodle and went back to the test. Once it opened, there was a place to "resume previous attempt." I clicked on it, and it took me back to the test. However, all my answers were gone, and I had about 3 minutes left on the timer.

Last night was the exact same sitaution. However, I was on my home computer with completely different internet access. I didn't have anything else open on my computer. I was on question 6 when it froze and then kicked me out. By the time I logged back in (and it did let me do that) I only had a little over a minute to answer all 20 questions. Needless to say, I couldn't even read them all to answer them correctly.

Any thoughts?

Holly

Logs seem to indicate she opened other areas of course then returned to quiz. No other students have reported similar instance of quiz closing. I have enclosed the students report log. She tried test week one on one computer and test one did the same thing. She changed to work computer for week two test. Quiz two closed.

Quiz report shows she took 20 minutes 5 secs on a 20 min. test. She claims extra time was due to quiz closing and having to re-open.

would the quiz time-out due to inactivity (if she were spending time looking up answers)?

We are using 1.9.5 Build 20090515

2.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Kopf

Re: Additional Info: attempt quiz closes allows student to reenter

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I take it that all the questions are one page.

I don't know why the student's browser would freeze like that, however, it is not a good idea to work on something for 15 minutes without ever saving. I wouldn't. (On a multi-page quiz, whenever you go to the next page, it does a save, otherwise you have to click the save button.)

You should definitely investigate what the session time-out on your server is - if that is anywhere close to 20 minutes, you need to worry.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bill Kopf -

we have our time out sesssion set at 4 hours:

Timeoutsessiontimeout

4 hours3 hours2 hours1.5 hours60 minutes45 minutes30 minutes15 minutes5 minutes
Default: 2 hours
If people logged in to this site are idle for a long time (without loading pages) then they are automatically logged out (their session is ended). This variable specifies how long this time should be.
Since starting Moodle several years ago I have had only a few students reporting  similar occurances. Is the best answer to student just to save more frequently?
In reply to Bill Kopf

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, saving more frequently is sensible.