Quiz

Request Entity Too Large

Picture of john gardiner
Request Entity Too Large

When I try to initiate a multiple choice or any quiz for that matter in 'Create a New Quiz' I get the following message.

The requested resource
/moodle/moodle/question/question.php
does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.39 Server at gahs.ca Port 80
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Request Entity Too Large
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
This is a known problem, which is lucky, because the error message is decidedly unhelpful.

The problem is that we have a parameter like ...&returnurl=http://your.domain/moodle/question/edit... in the URL. Apache has a security setting (that is off be default) to reject all requests of that form, because it is a theoreticl security risk (the worry is that someone might construct a malicious URL of the forum ...&returnurl=http://evil.hackers.site/rob/you, and if Moodle's PHP code did something stupid, then it would be a security risk.

Please rest assured that what Moodle does here is secure.

If at all possible, you need to turn off that Apache configuration option.

I'm sure I looked at this before, and there was some reason why I could not just change the form of the URL to ...&returnurl=question/edit... and have Moodle fill in the http://your.domain/moodle bit automatically. However, I cannot remember what that reason is now. Also, I am sure there is a tracker issue about this, but I cannot find it.

Picture of John Shaver

I'm having the same issue except I have moodle running on MS Server 2003.. Have any suggestions?

Dance

Jan 23 2010.
Hi. Has there been a resolve or workable workaround to this issue? I am experiencing the same error with trying to create quizzes.
"The requested resource
/moodle/question/question.php
does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit."

"Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.37 Server "

I do not know how to turn off a configuration setting on my internet servers Apache. Error does not occur on my Local machine. Version Apache/2.0.63

I am a bit frozen. I can import quizes, just not edit them or create new ones in moodle without this error. Any help would be great.

PS: Moodle 1.9.6+ (Build: 20091104)

Dance

Adding to this. Here are the images. To test it I just did a clean install of the weekly 1.9 in a new subdirectory. Set up a dummy course > went to create a quiz> Then when choosing a type of question for the new blank quiz (a true false). BANG. Same thing. Below are the image responses.
Seems strange such a basic function can't be utilized, don't think I can alter the Internet web server at all. Has anyone beat this problem with moodle yet?

Dance

the error msg