ALL Course grades versus Course total: bug?

ALL Course grades versus Course total: bug?

by Steven A -
Number of replies: 3
Here's what I want: students should be able to use the gradebook to see their grades for all individual assignments, but they should *not* be able to see the Course Total.

So I go into the gradebook, simple view, and poke Course Total in the eye. But doing so also pokes the entire course in the eye removing from sight ALL course grades! Yikes!

From what I can gather, it's all or nothing. I've tested this on my production site 1.9.5, my localhost 1.9.7, and the Moodle demo site, and all behaviour is the same.

The screenshot shows clearly what I'm talking about. The two eyes are either open or closed; closing one closes the other, opening one opens the other.

Is this a bug? And if not, how do I remove Course total from view without affecting the visibility of other course grades?
Attachment moodleGrades.png
In reply to Steven A

Re: ALL Course grades versus Course total: bug?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steven,

This does indeed seem to be a bug in Moodle 1.9.5. Please vote for MDL-19704 if you'd like it fixed. The discussion Cannot hide course total (separately) in 1.9.5 includes some workarounds for the issue.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Steven A -
Hi Helen,

Thanks. Voted. Just to be clear, this is happening not only in 195 but also 197. The screenshot above is from the Moodle Demonstration Site as of today.
In reply to Steven A

by Neil S -
Since you are using 'mean of grades' - try this....

For the 'Moodle features demo' category click on the edit icon...

Set the option of 'grade type' to 'none'... Save it...

Set your categories to 'visible' again...

Check to see if that achieves the desired result...

see also:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19178