Cannot hide course total (separately) in 1.9.5

Cannot hide course total (separately) in 1.9.5

by Teresa Gibbison -
Number of replies: 10
Hi there
We have several courses where the teacher does not want to display the course total in the gradebook (because not all assessment is within Moodle).

Pre-1.9.5 we were able to hide the course total and the students could see their grades with no tally at the bottom of their User report.

Now when we hide the course total all grades appear to be hidden. Is there a way around this? We would like the behaviour to remain as it was in 1.9.4 where hiding the category didn't hide the items within it. Just to clarify the User Report does shows fine when we do NOT hide the course total - only we don't wanna do that!!

Cheers
Teresa
P.S. Sorry for the large screenshot, wanted to include as much as possible (some has been cropped!)

EDIT: have created MDL-19704
Attachment hiddenCourseTotal.gif
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Re: Cannot hide course total (separately) in 1.9.5

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Teresa,
We had some discussion about this here: MDL-18083, and as far as I understood Nicolas, this is not going to be fixed soon.
Because of that we have developed a patch locally which allows our users to hide the course total column via Settings. Another solution that everyone can use is weighting (Q#7 here). I guess you can try to shuffle all of your graded items in the the category with 0 weight. Course Total row will still show for students, but will be empty "-".
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Teresa Gibbison -
Many thanks for this Elena
Cheers
Teresa

by Mary Beth McKee -
Here's a work around that I have suggested for our faculty.

1. In the grader report, turn editing on, and hide the course total column.
  2. Go to the Categories & Items tab, and click the hide icon to unhide the course total.
When you click to unhide the column in Categories & Items, it reveals the column but marks each student's individual course total as hidden. Basically, this process saves teachers the step of turning editing and clicking each student's course total to hidden. It works on our 1.95+ build. (20090624)
In reply to Mary Beth McKee

by Mike Brinkman -

This did not work for me. We have 1.95 build (20090708), so if you want to use this work-around, you probably shouldn't upgrade your build version. surprise

In reply to Mike Brinkman

by Mary Beth McKee -
My earlier suggestion was not clear, try this option and see if it works.

1. Hide the Course Total in the Grader Report.(Controls line)
  2. Go to Categories & Items and click to reveal the Overall Course, not the course total icon.
  3. Return to the Grader Report and see if the column is revealed but the individual scores are all hidden.
Attachment Hiding_Course_Total3.png
In reply to Mary Beth McKee

by Allisun O'Connell -
Thanks for this workaround!!! I tested it on Moodle 1.9.5 (Build: 20090518) & it works.
In reply to Allisun O'Connell

by Mary Beth McKee -
Glad it worked for you! I have since discovered that you can do both clicks (hiding the course total and revealing the overall course) all within the grader report - no need to change tabs and go to the Categories and Items tab.

The trick does not work if there are no grades entered in the gradebook, though someone could set the Grade Type to No Grade to prevent displaying an overall score.
In reply to Allisun O'Connell

by Allisun O'Connell -
Turns out the Build # I mentioned is wrong, we are on a newer one but I don't know the exact #.

by Rod Spears -
Teresa,

I think the simplest way to do this would be to edit your main category and change the grade type to "None". Individual grades should still be displayed inside the sub-categories, but the Course Total would not be displayed.
In reply to Rod Spears

by Elena Ivanova -
Nice tip, thank you smile))
(will not work for SUM, but does for other aggregation methods)