Login problems

Login problems

by Jeffery Watkins -
Number of replies: 4

Since I have upgraded I have a old problem made new again.

When I try to login, nothing happens.  The screen refreshes but does not log me in.  If I disable my firewall, then I am able to login.  Now what is interesting about this problem is that I do not have to disable the firewall to login in here.  What is really interesting about this problem was that until I recently reformatted my hard drive and reloaded everything, the problem was in reverse.

I could login to my Moodle installation without disabling the firewall, but could not login here without disabling.

Any ideas?  Martin and I have talked about this before and I figured it was something stupid on my computer... it just seems odd to be occurring now in the reverse.

Jeff Watkins

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: Login problems

by Thomas Caswell -

Jeff:

I am unable to log-in to my implementation of Moodle 1.0.9 at http://www.ohs-web.com/digitalohs unless I disable my PC's firewall.

I am running Windows XP Pro and Norton Internet Security 2003 (includes Norton Firewall and Norton Antivirus).

However, when I log-in here at http://www.moodle.org, I do not have to disable my Norton firewall.

What gives?

Thanks in advance,
Thom

In reply to Thomas Caswell

by Jeffery Watkins -

I am also running Windows XP with Norton 2003 products.

I have reset my IE permissions and Norton permissions to their lowest settings with the same problems.  Only thing that works is closing the Firewall.

Jeff

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Timothy Takemoto -

One of the options in the detailed settings of the moodle set up is something called "secureforms:" for which the default is "yes", but it should be set to "no" if you are using personal firewall products "like zonealarm". I am using Zonealarm, I set "secureforms" to "no" and I am having no problem.

You can hange secureforms aftwer setup by turning off your firewall, logging in as the administrator and clicking on the top lefthand link (Configure Variables). Secureforms is the last option on the second page.

Here are the instructions for how to set secureforms.

Moodle can use an additional level of security when accepting data from web forms. If this is enabled, then the browser's HTTP_REFERER variable is checked against the current form address. In a very few cases this can cause problems if the user is using a firewall (eg Zonealarm) configured to strip HTTP_REFERER from their web traffic. Symptoms are getting 'stuck' on a form. If your users are having problems with the login page (for example) you might want to disable this setting, although it might leave your site more open to brute-force password attacks. If in doubt, leave this set to 'Yes'.

Tim