Is peer assessment anonymous?

Is peer assessment anonymous?

by John O'Sullivan -
Number of replies: 4

I've set up a basic workshop and it's up and running. A student has asked a fair and rather predicatable question: is peer assessment anonymous?

Obviously, the answer to this question would have a strong bearing on how students assess each other's work. Although the help files discuss anonymous peer assessment in general terms, they do not seem to indicate how to implement it, or whether this is the default condition. Nor is it obvious from the workshop setup screen.

Any help very much appreciated.

John O'Sullivan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John O'Sullivan

Re: Is peer assessment anonymous?

by Ray Kingdon -
The answer is yes and no wink. Obviously if the work contains the author's name the student will know whose work they are grading but the workshop does not give the author's name. The student assessment is anonymous, the student being assessed by another student wouldn't know which student did it. The teacher's assessment are labelled as the teacher's assessment (it may have the teacher's name either on the assessment itself or the email about the assessment), so the students are able to distinguish between assessments done by peers and those done by the teacher. The teacher gets to see names when doing their assessments so from the point of view of the teacher the grading is not anonymous.

The only option is the one to show or hide student names on the list of best work. That's the "League Table" which can be shown at the end of a Workshop.

I would add that the current situation in this area is a bit arbitrary and possibly could use one or two more options to make the whole workshop totally anonymous or totally "named". That would put the onus on teachers rather than me approve.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ray Lawrence -
If Word files are being used then don't forget that user details often appear in the "properties" of the document i.e. File>Properties>Summary tab even when there are no obvious identifiers in the text or file name. This can be very revealing about the original source of all sorts of documents. wink
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ray Kingdon -
Excellent point. If you also want to see if Office files have been, eh, copied, take a look at the creation dates and times. That property is read-only and recorded to the nearest second. If two documents have the same creation date and time someone's been, well, "naughty"...
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by John O'Sullivan -
Thanks for that very clear feedback. Just what i wanted to know!