Translation request - password salting

Translation request - password salting

Helen Foster - келді
Number of replies: 9
Core developers қатысушының суреті Documentation writers қатысушының суреті Moodle HQ қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті
Dear multi-lingual Moodlers,

To greatly reduce the risk of password theft, we're encouraging all Moodle site admins to set a 'password salt'. Please see the password salting documentation for details.

A password salt will be set automatically for all new 1.8.11 and 1.9.7 installations (due for release very soon) and admins will be strongly recommended to add a password salt manually when upgrading to these versions (source: Moodle 1.9.7 release notes).

To ensure everyone understands password salting, it would be great if you could help by translating the password salting documentation into your language. To create the page in the documentation wiki for your language, simply use the URL

http://docs.moodle.org/xx/report/security/report_security_check_passwordsaltmain

and replace xx with your language code. For example, for French (fr), the URL would be

http://docs.moodle.org/fr/report/security/report_security_check_passwordsaltmain

You need to make sure you are logged into your documentation wiki then you can translate the English documentation as it appears here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/report/security/report_security_check_passwordsaltmain.

A link to the password salting documentation will be provided on the notifications page in Moodle 1.8.11 and 1.9.7 and also in the security overview report. Thus French Moodle site admins will be provided with the link http://docs.moodle.org/fr/report/security/report_security_check_passwordsaltmain.

If you'd like to help translating the password salting documentation, but are confused about what to do, please let me know by replying to this discussion so I can provide further explanation (or perhaps someone else can describe things better!)

Thanks to Iñaki for translating the documentation into Spanish already, and to everyone else who is able to help out. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Translation request - password salting

Andrea Bicciolo - келді
Helen,

the page is now translated also in Italian language: not sure about the name of the page, probably I did something wrong?
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

Re: Translation request - password salting

Helen Foster - келді
Core developers қатысушының суреті Documentation writers қатысушының суреті Moodle HQ қатысушының суреті Particularly helpful Moodlers қатысушының суреті Plugin developers қатысушының суреті Testers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті
Andrea, thanks for translating the information into Italian. I've renamed it to http://docs.moodle.org/it/report/security/report_security_check_passwordsaltmain (you'll notice I had some fun in doing so knipoog). When you upgrade your sites you'll find the exact link on the notifications page and in the security overview report.
In reply to Helen Foster

જઃ Translation request - password salting

Dr. Amitkumar Mali - келді
Helen,
I tried to translet it by login to the doc.moodle.org and just edit it. I think I made all the changes in original english documentation. If I did so, please accept my apology...
I replaced xx in the link given by u with my language Gujarati (gu), but as I didn't translate moodle documentations in gujarati it may not be available. Guide me about how to translate password salting document.
Regards

In reply to Dr. Amitkumar Mali

Re: જઃ Translation request - password salting

Helen Foster - келді
Hi Amitkumar,

Thanks a lot for your willingness to help and no need to apologise - the Gujarati language is beautiful to look at! wide eyes

There are documentation wikis in lots of other languages though unfortunately not Gujarati.

As I notice you are the Gujarati language pack maintainer, I suggest you add additional text from the password salting documentation to the security overview report interface within Moodle by adding additional text to the gu language string 'check_passwordsaltmain_details' in report_security.php and perhaps also the string 'upgrade197salt' in admin.php.

Thanks again for your help, and for everyone else (Nicolas, Séverin, David and Gisela) who has translated the information. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

Bente Olsen - келді
Testers қатысушының суреті Translators қатысушының суреті
Hi Helen

I remember a couple of years ago you removed the links from local Moodle installations to the Danish docs.moodle.org wiki because it did not contain any pages in Danish and did not redirect to the English pages. Is the wiki now functioning like the language packages, so that you get the English version if no translation on your local language is available or is that why you suggest Amitkumar add text to one of the files within Moodle?

Bente
In reply to Bente Olsen

Helen Foster - келді
Hi Bente,

If a wiki page is not yet translated, a message is displayed encouraging you to translate it and also providing a link to the English version of the page. Thanks to Moodle developer and Czech language pack maintainer David Mudrák for figuring out how to do this (MDLSITE-90). (Source: Links to English version of documentation blog post)

If you'd like a Danish Moodle Docs, please see the documentation Starting Moodle Docs.