Translation changed by Moodle!

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
A few strings causes me troubles in ver 1.9.7
It is the two strings in moodle.php:
$string['updatethis'] = '$a-indstillinger'; and
$string['updatinga'] = '$a-opdatering';
which used to be shown as 'Modulename-indstillinger' and 'Modulename-opdatering' (in Danish: eg. Forum-indstillinger, Lektion-indstillinger). But Moodle automatically change the strings in moodle.php to '\$a-indstillinger' and '\$a-opdatering' so $a will not be recognised as a variable, it will be displayed as '$a-indstillinger' and '$a-opdatering'.

I can correct this in an extern editor, but next time I edit the file in Moodle, the string will be changed again.

In fact I would prefer a translation to 'Modulenameindstillinger' (eg. Foruminstillinger), that would be correct Danish, but '$aindstillinger' gives an empty button to click at.
Another possibility would be 'Indstillinger for modulename', but this is not possible, the module name will be displayed with a capital letter as first letter, which is not correct Danish.

I am using Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20091130)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Translation changed by Moodle!

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Bente,

that may be a regression of my recent fix of the language translation tool. Please try to use
{$a}indstillinger
which should give you the results as requested. I will review the recent fix again. Thanks for the report.

David
In reply to Bente Olsen

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, I can confirm. This is expected behaviour as $a-something is likely to be typo of $a->something. If you need a placeholder followed by minus sign, use
{$a}-something
or if the minus sign is not what you want, use
{$a}something
In the future, we plan to have curly brackets as mandatory wrapper of the $a placeholders.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thank you very much. This is super, now I can translate to correct Danish big grin