Students cannot post a reply to a forum post

Students cannot post a reply to a forum post

by Steve McGuire -
Number of replies: 5
First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum and if this has already been answered. I did do a quick search.

I added a forum activity and posted a message I wanted students to reply to, but when students logged on they did not see the option to reply. I tried all the various variations on the activity (simple discussion, Q&A, etc.), and those have the same problem. I also tried overriding permissions so students could reply to messages and post new ones, but this did not seem to change anything.

I do not have this problem in other courses on the same server using the same version of Moodle (Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090923) so it may be because when I first created the course, I set up two groups but then changed the name of the groups after students had enrolled themselves for the courses.

My question is how do I get forums working with two classes that are in progress without losing other information (they've taken some quizzes and I would like to keep the group data separate).

Again, apologies if the solution is simple or if I haven't explained this very clearly,

TIA. --Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve McGuire

Re: Students cannot post a reply to a forum post

by alison hannon -
This happened to me too and it had something to do with groups. I wanted both my groups to see the same forum , but I wanted their responses separated.
I read on the this forum that you Had to give permission or assign it to each group.... And that's where I got lost. Where do I do that ? I ended up giving up and taking my groups away. That's not how I ultimately want things, though.... So I, too need the answer.
In reply to alison hannon

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Does the answer given to 'Why can't students in separate groups reply to a forum discussion started by a teacher?' in the Forum module FAQ help at all?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Steve McGuire -
Thank you for the suggestion. I did look through the FAQ but this didn't catch my eye, and in checking, it turns out that the settings were OK.

I think I have the forums working the way I want. I'll find out tomorrow whether I really do or not (the proof is in the inputting).

Q: How did I do it?
A: I'm not sure. I tinkered and didn't write down my steps. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but it seems to have worked. In the end I believe it was

1) I changed the settings for the course (from settings) to visible groups, not forced (I had had forced before)
2) Within the forum activity itself, I set it for separate groups, not visible.

Thanks for the quick reply.

TEWYL. --Steve
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve McGuire

by Simon Robinson -
Hi

I've had a similar problem. I have 2 forums, one now 'closed' and one current. I wanted students to be able to review posts in Forum 1 while being prevented from adding more posts so I overrode permissions in forum 1 to prevent reply to posts for students.

Checking forum 2 I saw that the reply option had been removed there too!

I went back to forum 1 and undid my override - this did not work! Still no reply option in either forum 1 or 2!

Your post provided the answer in that I changed forum 2 from visible groups to hidden and back again and now the reply option is available in forum 2 (but not in forum 1 which is what I wanted - but odd as the overrides say reply is inherited?)

I'll be asking my more technically able friend to look at this tomorrow as in the last version of Moodle (we're currently on 1.9.6+) I used overrides all the time to control forum posts according to course timescales.

Thanks for posting and for helping me out of a hole smile
In reply to Simon Robinson

by Jim Shaffer -
Not sure if this will solve your issues or not, but I used this to fix mine.

I set up two groups, enrolled myself in each, then posted a forum question that I wanted both groups to answer separately. I discovered that students couldn't reply to my question in EITHER group.

After a bit of tinkering, I discovered a somewhat obvious solution in our version of Moodle. When you create the discussion post in Moodle, if you select the group from the "seperate groups" pull down menu in the top left instead of "everyone." It solves the issue. The only problem is that you will need to post the question separately for each group (in my case I had to cut and paste the post for the second group).

I hope that helps.