What is the current status of IIS and the slashargument variable?

What is the current status of IIS and the slashargument variable?

by Anne Nicolson -
Number of replies: 7

Has anyonewith IIS managed to get both, relative paths, and images visible?  I've read the forums and it looks like a big sticky point.

(Mark Brandish has a 'recipe' which possibly works but we were unable to follow. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9757#47103)

Currently we run IIS5, moodle 2.4 and php 5.0 on a NT box.

So assuming the worst - it will never work with IIS - can we run apache and IIS on the same server? Will we need a new box?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Nicolson

Re: What is the current status of IIS and the slashargument variable?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, this is a complex issue. It is my understanding that it is resolved in PHP5 but I haven't had a chance to confirm or deny this - I have a "test" windows server set up for Moodle. I take it you have discovered that it isn't fixed in PHP5?

I would maintain (and doubtless others will disagree) that if you are talking about a proper, production installation of Moodle then you need to run it on a LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP) - well certainly a Unix derivative anyway. Last time I looked Apache does not recommend windows for a production system as it is not heavily tested on that platform for security problems.

You can run IIS and Apache together, but you must run them on different TCP/IP ports. This may or may not be a problem depending on where your users are and what your firewall arrangements are.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Tony Hursh -
It definitely works great on OS X, which is a strong point for schools that already have a Mac support team. They may balk at using Linux if they don't have a Linux guru on staff.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
seconded! I too find it works well on OSX - which if course is, for our purposes, a Unix derivative smile
In reply to Howard Miller

by Anne Nicolson -
thanks Howard and Tony, I wish that there was a rush of people disagreeing with you! Like most other NZ secondary schools we run windows and that is unlikely to change. We may seek external hosting.

by Tony Hursh -
Any chance that you can run Apache rather than IIS, at least? I had decent luck using Apache under Windows for one of our early Moodle servers, although we're using OS X and Linux now.

Have you seen this thread?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8930

Edit: missed the earlier post where you specifically asked about running both IIS and Apache. That works, too. For a while I had a Windows machine that was running IIS, Apache, and ColdFusion's own proprietary web server. I finally managed to get rid of all the IIS-specific stuff, and now it just runs Apache and ColdFusion.

As Howard noted, you need to use different ports if you're going to do this. In practice that means that the URLs for your secondary server will have a port number appended to them, e.g., http://yourserver.example.com:8080

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Anne Nicolson -

Feeling braver about windows, I've put the choices of seperate server or running two webservers together to our technical people.

The above link amazed me - clever clever (and generous) people working on this project.  I couldn't resist trying to load moodle onto my pen drive. It didn't work in the short time I had available, but I did get it onto my 'c drive' without a hitch in about 5min! Thanks

by Mike Jackson -

Have you had any luck getting this to work? I too am running Moodle 1.4.3 on Windows with IIS and can't get relative links to work properly. Images and other files in a subfolder do not seem to work.

I would appreciate any suggestions.