Installation problem on Linux

Installation problem on Linux

by Divya muvvala -
Number of replies: 6
Hi, I have a problem in installing Moodle 1.9.5+ pack ( standard Moodle paackages) on Linux machine. I am getting an error for Data Directory path. I tried to create a new folder moodledata under /opt/lampp but stil this error appears.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem. The website is
http://samsa.tvu.ac.uk/moodle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Divya muvvala

Re: Installation problem on Linux

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Can you confirm this directory exists and is writeable by your webserver?
In reply to Jon Witts

by Divya muvvala -
Thanks for reply Jon. Now I am getting another error after I select language from first page. Below is the error:

Notice: Undefined index: dirroot in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 136

Notice: Undefined index: dirroot in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 137

Notice: Undefined index: dataroot in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 138

Notice: Undefined index: admindirname in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 139

Notice: Undefined index: wwwrootform in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 143

Warning: require_once(/lib/adminlib.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 148

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/lib/adminlib.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/install.php on line 148

I read many forums and checked for lib/adminlib.php, looks fine. but still dont know y i am getting this error. Yesterday when i tried this error did not appear. but now when i tried to install moodle today this new error is appearing. Can you please tell how i can solve this...

by Divya muvvala -
Its strange... After awhile the above posted error diappeared and I successfully accessed second page of Moodle and successfully connected to database. But now I m getting error in server checks. can anyone please tell me how to solve this problem. And i m not sure if can carry installation with this warning?????
Name Information Report Status
php_extension xmlrpc docs.gifshould be installed and enabled for best results

Installing the optional xmlrpc extension is useful for Moodle Networking functionality.

Check
unicode
docs.gifmust be installed and enabled OK
database mysql docs.gifversion 4.1.16 is required and you are running 5.0.41 OK
php
docs.gifversion 4.3.0 is required and you are running 5.2.2 OK

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This php extension is only used for Moodle Networking, so if you are not going to use that part of Moodle you can ignore that warning. However, if you have direct access to your server it is very easy to turn this extension on...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Divya muvvala -
Thank you for your reply. I hav direct access to server. Is it necessary to turn it on??? anyway i ignored it and successfully installed Moodle1.9.5 on Linux now... thank you for all your help. smile. Next i will try adding Activity_Locking plugin to Moodle and see if it works.

by Jon Witts -
I would recommend installing it. What distribution of Linux are you running? On Debian or Ubuntu you can install it typing: "sudo apt-get install php5-xmlrpc".

Jon