View Submitted Assignments without Grading

View Submitted Assignments without Grading

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 1.9.4

I have a course where I'd like a staff member to be able to see the grades of students for assignments submitted and the feedback that has been provided by teachers. (but there's a twist, see below)

To do this I have edited the site permissions for this user so that they can:

- see user activity reports

- view the grader report

- view course activity reports

- view course participation report

- view grades of other users

- access all groups

- view user profile

- view assignment

and have prevented them from grading assignments

The above settings achieved my initial requirements. My staff member can see the files the students have uploaded to the assignment by visiting the activity report 'complete report' for the student, and the feedback of the teacher, in the students activity report 'grade' or the grader report - which prevents them from editing the grade.

(and now the twist)

However, my member of staff needs to be able to open the students uploaded file, so that they can evaluate the feedback and grading that the teacher has made.

My settings prevent this from happening.

Is it possible to achieve this through editing role permissions or any other method.

Many thanks for your assistance.

In reply to Peter Ward

Re: View Submitted Assignments without Grading

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Peter,
I believe that at the moment grade assignments capability includes both of those things: "view assignment submissions" and "grade assignment". Cannot think of any other non-intrusive method, other than providing student files manually, or allowing staff to grade via assignment tool, but asking them not to sad
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: View Submitted Assignments without Grading

by Peter Ward -

Hi Elena,

Many thanks for your advice. I too thought that setting the permission to "view assignment" and NOT allowing "grade assignment" would give the desired effect. However when the staff user selects to open the student uploaded file they receive the message 'Access not allowed'.

Is "view assignment submissions" an option in later moodle versions? If so I'll upgrade.

I'd be interested to know if others are able to achieve my desired result on their moodle.