Hide/Show Items in group mode

Hide/Show Items in group mode

by Jet Hall -
Number of replies: 2
I am setting up a course with 18 groups. Each group has its own instructor. We want these instructors to be able to grade the students within their groups without the ability to edit the basic structure of the grading system (this is a core course and must be consistent across all sections). We have this set up and it is functioning well already.

I would also like these moderators to be able to hide/show grade items so that they can reveal grades to their students when desired (independent of other groups). I have set the permissions for the moderators to allow "Hide or unhide grades or items". However, it appears that this function will only work if I also allow them to "Manage Grade Items". This is a problem because we don't want the moderators to change the grade items.

Is there anyway to get the hide/show grade function to work within separate groups without allowing the moderators to also manage grade items?

FYI -- the link for "Hide Show/Hide Icons" does appear if we only allow the"hide or unhide grades or items" permission. But it does not do anything.

We are using Moodle 1.8+

Thanks in advance for you help.

- Jet
In reply to Jet Hall

Re: Hide/Show Items in group mode

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Jet,
Are you sure you have 1.8 and not 1.9? From the description it sounds like you have 1.9+.
We have 1.9.5. If I set the permission "hide or unhide grades or items" to Allow, then moderators can hide/unhide individual grades of individual students.
Go to the Grader report > Click Turn Editing on > Click Edit icon near a grade for a student > Check Hidden checkbox > Save changes.
I am afraid, though, that it can be done only on the individual basis.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Hide/Show Items in group mode

by Jet Hall -
Hi Elena,

Thanks so much for your reply. I checked again and I was indeed in Moodle 1.9. I just upgraded to 1.95+ to see if it would help with this issue and it hasn't.

I have the permission for "Hide/unhide grades or items" set for
allow. I see that I can edit the hidden check box under each grade item, but I was hoping our moderators would be able to use the open/closed eye icon so they could give a quick grade and keep it hidden. If that is not possible, perhaps its something they could consider for future upgrads of Moodle.

Thanks for your help. I learned a lot in the upgrading process and feel better there is a way for the moderators to hide grades.

- Jet