meta course auto enrollment.

meta course auto enrollment.

by Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Number of replies: 10
Question : I have a course A which is a parent course (meta course) , and Course B and Course C are child courses of Course A , now is it possible if a student registers at Course A and automatically gets enrolled in all other courses like Course b and Course C ??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravishankar Somasundaram

Re: meta course auto enrollment.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No it's the other way round. Child courses have the students and they get automatically enrolled into the metacourse. So your students in Course B and C will go automatically into course A.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Yeah i saw that, its a situvation i want the above mentioned manner to happen sad

and one more thing is if somebody is registered in Course B he automatically gets enrolled in Course A but not Course C sad

what am trying to do is i have set of courses inside a meta course , if the user gets enrolled into a single course he should be able to access all other courses inside the meta course ( and the meta course itself if he didnt enroll in meta course first )

Is this possible in existing moodle ? or i need to develope hacks ?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Ravishankar,

Maybe it's just the vocabulary of "parent" and "child" courses which is the problem - it certainly doesn't seem intuitive to me.

If I understand what you want to do: you want all your students to be automatically enrolled in Course A, Course B and Course C.

First create a "Home" course as a normal course. Enrol all your students in the "Home" course. Then create Courses A, B and C as meta courses. In Course A, and in Course B, and in Course C, select the "Home" course as a child course and all the students in the "Home" course will be automatically enrolled in Courses A, B and C.

For example, all your Year One students need to be enrolled in French, English and Maths courses. Enrol all your Year One students in a "Home" course. Then create the French, English and Maths courses as meta courses, and select the Home course in each as a child course.

Several different "Home" courses can be enrolled in the same meta course as child courses. In my case, I teach English to different groups of students, say, chemistry students, medical students and psychology students. Each group has a "Home" course : English for chemistry students, English for medical students, English for psychology students where they carry out tasks relating to their field of studies. However they all have similar grammar problems and pronunciation problems. I've created a Grammar Exercises Course and Pronuciation Exercises Course as meta courses in which they're all enrolled, though not necessarily for the same dates. I mean, the chemistry students can do the Grammar Exercises Course in January and February, and the medical students in February and March.

Hope this is clear,

Glenys

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Dear Glenys,

First of all thank you for taking time to reply to my question.

Yeah i completely understood how meta courses work, and the scenarios you put for explaining is great,

But if i perform as you have said il get an hierarchy like this

........................................Home course
...........................Course A _ _| | |_ _ Course C
.................................................|
..........................................Course B

whereas the hierarchy i wanted is this

........................................Home Course
................................................|_ _ _ _ _ Course A
................................................|_ _ _ _ _ Course B
................................................|_ _ _ _ _ Course C

Course A, Course B , Course C should be child courses of Home course.

and i want to implement the auto enroll feature here, editing core files is the only way i can do this ?

Re: meta course auto enrollment

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Further to Glenys' great explanation, please see the documentation Metacourse.
In reply to Helen Foster

Awesome, came to a clear conclusion on how i need to proceed,Scenario 2 is what i need to look at.

Hearty thanks to all for replying

OMG, seems i cannot assign roles manually to a meta course sad

i want to assign students to roles in a metacourse.

how can i make this happen ?

by Leela ram -
Hi

I want to enroll the student in meta course so that the student are enrolled in child courses too..

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Metacourse

from the above URL scenario 2 works for me.. but how to enable auto enrollement(I am using paypal as my enrolment option)

Regards
Ram
In reply to Leela ram

by Leela ram -
enrol_into_course()

the above function performs the enrollment in course..

I hacked the above function to enable auto enroll in meta course

Implementing meta course

by Deleted user -
Courses
-> Excel Training
> Pre Evaluation test(A)
> Video Stream(B)
> Excercises(C)
> Assignments(D)

I have a course 'Excel Training' which is a parent course (meta course) ,
If an user scores 80% in A, then B should get visible or else invisible.
If an user scores 80% in B, then C should get visible or else invisible.
If an user scores 80% in C, then D should get visible or else invisible.

Could anyone help me how to do this coding in moodle