Show progress - left TOC

Show progress - left TOC

by Sebastien M. -
Number of replies: 7
Hi All!

I'm thinking to display the progress of the student as they go through the lesson either with a bar graph at the top of each question page (which, I guess, could be easilly done) or with a left TOC highlighting the title of the current question page... (inspired from SCORM?)

At first glance, would that second option be easily faisable ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Seb

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sebastien M.

Re: Show progress - left TOC

by Michael Penney -
Hi Seb, we've implemented this for branch tables, it's in 1.5 CVS. The current branch table hilights in the left menu.

We didn't do it for questions because this conflicts with the clustering code also in that version of the module (not to mention random unseen page lessons). However, it shouldn't be a big deal to add questions into the left menu if clustering & random jumps are not used.

You can download a zip from here and see docs if you don't want to get it from CVS.

http://learn.humboldt.edu/course/view.php?id=21

Note that this version requires to styles in the theme (example in the Formal white zip there). The CVS version, the left menu styles are internal to the lesson module.

We also have ongoing score display option in the form of 'this is a 20 point lesson, you have earned 5 of 10 points attempted so far'), which also gives some idea how far a student has progressed.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Sebastien M. -
Hi Michael,

Great work!

Thanks you for sharing the information (and the code!) I installed the latest CVS on my server and tested the redesigned lesson module. So far I find the improvements very interesting. Since I’m not a developer, I’m not used to the CVS versions: What is the probability that this code be included in the next stable releases? If I want to include this new code into 1.4 should I proceed manually (running the SQL command into phpMyadmin)? Finally, I'm not sure I understand the idea behind the clusters, could I ask you to provide a little example?

This lesson module is becoming more conceptual as it evolves…

Regards,

Sebastien
In reply to Sebastien M.

by Michael Penney -
Hi Sebastien, you should be able to install the CVS version of lesson into a 1.4 install, visit your admin page, and watch it run the db upgrades. Back up everything first of course, but that should work fine. Let us know if you have any troubles.

This has a few bug fixes and feature enhandements over the zip on the download site.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand the idea behind the clusters, could I ask you to provide a little example?

Clusters appear as a single question page to the navigation system, but when you link to a cluster, a page within the cluster is chosen at random. This makes it easy to make variations of your questions so that students get a different question each time they take the lesson. This also makes it pretty frustrating for students to try and cheatsmile (esp in a random unseen page lesson, which will choose clusters at random order).

So you add a cluster, put some questions in the cluster, and then add an end of cluster. Link a page to the cluster, and it will choose a question at random, then go where that question tells it to depending on the answer.

by Sebastien M. -
The left TOC (CVS version of the lesson module) is a REALLY NICE improvement and save me days and days of work!

At line #911 of locallib.php I changed:

if($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']==$link) {

To:

if($page->id == $_REQUEST['pageid']) {

so the left TOC highlights the proper table branch title as we progress through the lesson.

QUESTION:

Do we need to close the table branches in the lessons?

Seb
In reply to Sebastien M.

by Michael Penney -
Hi Seb, you shouldn't need to close the branch tables unless you are using random unseen within branch or random in branch jumps. The end of branch there tells the randomizer where the branch starts and ends.

by Athail Pulino -

Dear Michael:

Congratulations! Your improvements on Moodle are remarkable!

The book module is very very good.

Now, I am prepared to enjoy the new lesson module (not yet installed on my distribution.

Athail Pulino.

In reply to Athail Pulino

by Michael Penney -
Thanks Athail but I didn't develop the book mod, I just use it alot (because I agree, it is very very goodsmile.

Hope you like the new lesson as wellsmile.