Enroll Students into Moodle

Enroll Students into Moodle

by Mary Ann Hudson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I am trying to understand Moodle and unfortunely have a very short time to do that in.  Through reading the Lounge and through my own attempts, I have found out that a migration between Blackboard (WebCt) Campus Edition 6 is virtually impossible.  So I have to get 200 courses online with Moodle by August 1st, the old fashion way. 

But my main question today is: what is the process that is used to enroll large numbers of students into the courses?  I have tried to read the comments in the Lounge, but there are so many and are more advanced than my simple question.  I feel like I am just spinning my wheels and getting very frustrated.  Is there a particular database format that I need to enroll them from?

Is there a particular comment in the hundreds of comments about this topic that someone can point me to?

Please help

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Ann Hudson

Re: Enroll Students into Moodle

by Paula Clough -

Mary Ann,

If you have admin rights, on the Front page is the Admin box.  Go to Users, Accounts, Upload Users.  Click in the yellow question mark next to Upload Users and a pop up window will come up and show yout he fields that have to be in your spreadsheet file.  If you can get your user list with important info into a spreadsheet file such as Excel, you can manipulate it into the fields and then upload.  When everything is ready, save as a Comma Separated File and upload.  If you are like me, it may take a little work with the file until you get it just right, but even with that, it takes much less time than putting in users individually. 

Paula cool

In reply to Mary Ann Hudson

by ben reynolds -
Hi Mary Ann,
You want to get out of the lounge and into Using Moodle.

If you've got 200 distinct and individual courses, you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

When using a .csv, remember that excel will sometimes do odd things w/ both numbers as text and special characters. So, before uploading a .csv to Moodle, eyeball the thing. Also look for blank cells that shouldn't be blank.

I've made a csv by hand. A brute force approach is to follow Paula's instructions and just use something like Excel to populate the coursename and type.

Our format look like this:
username password FirstName LastName email idnumber course1 type1 course2 type2 course3 type3
123456 ******** CHARLES BARKLEY charlesbarkley@hotmailcom 123456 STU-MAT 1 NAMS-091A 1 PP-091A 1

This file uploads a student into three courses, and in each of those courses, he is a student (type = 1).
In reply to ben reynolds

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just moving this discussion from the Lounge to the Enrolment plugins forum in Using Moodle...