confirmation emails not being sent

confirmation emails not being sent

by Max Dashu -
Number of replies: 5
I have many would-be students who fill out the Create New Account form, are promised an email "immediately" in the standard Moodle text, and it never arrives.

I read about this problem in the archives and am disappointed to see it is still here. What can i do to fix it? I have three students who made it through and succeeded in registering, but most can't. When they try to go back and create another account, it tells them they already have one. So they can't go forward and can't go back.

I'd also like to know how to customize the "Is this your first time here?" page so that it contains contact email for the site administrator. The text tells students to contact the site admin but nowhere does it inform them how to do that.

please help. thanks in advance,
Max Dashu
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Max Dashu

Re: confirmation emails not being sent

by Laine Phillips -

Hi Max,

I had a similar problem and it was that the primary user account email, which was set up when Moodle downlioaded to our server, being assigned for another role on our server also for adminstration purposes. Sorry, I cant tell you how it was changed, as I had someome else look into it, but that might start the process.

For those students who did not get the email they may still have an account if you go into users>accounts>browse list of accounts and then if they are there but got no email there will be a column on the right of the table with 'confirm' Click this and they are will have access.

Smiles

Laine

In reply to Laine Phillips

by Max Dashu -
Hi Laine,

The same email is being used for admin and teacher, it's all me. There's no other email, unless Moodle is plugging something in.

I did manage to get into users>accounts>browse, found a list of people who had tried to subscribe, and clicked confirm on all of them. A couple came through and were able to get it work, most still were not able to receive the confirmation email and link.

I deleted these remaining accounts and asked them to try again. Only one got through.

I'm at wit's end, this software is the most arcane and non-user friendly of any i've worked with. I've been struggling with it for weeks and the course is due to start tomorrow.

Help!

Max
In reply to Max Dashu

One other problem: sales tax

by Max Dashu -
How can i access the page (as admin) that has the Paypal button?

I need to redo the button's code because it is charging California residents sales tax, but this course is a service, not goods.

PayPal wasn't able to help because the button is being generated within Moodle and i couldn't tell them anything about the code.

Max
In reply to Max Dashu

by Laine Phillips -

Im new to this game as well so cant help futher along that line. Do you have an IT person at your college who can help?

It might be easer if you go to the accounts>add users and enter each student yourself. That way you know they will have access for tommorrow. If you put in the basics the students can upgrade their profiles one they log in.

Laine

In reply to Laine Phillips

by Max Dashu -
No, i'm not at a college. This is a small operation out of the Suppressed Histories Archives, an independent project on global women's history.

I came to the same conclusion as you did, and am doing this where i can. In some cases where they've already created accounts, even after i've deleted them and then added them manually after receiving payment directly through paypal, Moodle then tries to block them until it gets payment. So that has been tricky too.

M