New to Moodle and need a solution for writing

New to Moodle and need a solution for writing

by Monique Gaudin -
Number of replies: 7
Hello Moodlers smile
This week I shall try to install a Moodle server for our independent study program to provide a collaborative online environment of support. Our students recieve paper packets and books and are expected to teach themselves, and then test out on the subject with our teachers located all over the district. My vision is to provide support for all subjects through Moodle. We have had a email system with a student forum in place now for two years and it just isn't enough. For those of you outside the USA we have the thorn in education called No Child Left Behind, which has our program on the 5th year needs improvement ( we are an alternative HS with a constantly revolving population so I dar say we will always be on that list). Anyway, the restructuring commitee got wind of my plan of suport and has now written it into the restructuring plan for this August. One of the components that needs to be in place is a Eglish Language one for structure , writing and interpretation of literature. So my very long winded question is: are there any plug and play programs that can be used in Moodle to write and score language assignments. (free or otherwise) Any other words of wisdom will also be welcomed. I am doing this all by online tutorials and a few purchased books, and I also don't write code...yet lol
Thanks
Monqiue
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monique Gaudin

Re: New to Moodle and need a solution for writing

by Marc Grober -
NCLB only impacts your program by way of your state's adopted standards, which in most states are so minimal as to be virtually obscene.... That aside, are you asking whether there is prefab instructional material you can grab and use for free? Unlikely. I cAn tell you from experience that a literacy remediation/credit recovery model based on self instruction through moodle is an uphill battle for a variety of reasons. Pounding the same nail with a different hammer (sorry about the analogy) is not the answer to your problems.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Monique Gaudin -
The content doesn't have to be for free. Is there anything that will integrate that cost that you know of?

by Ryan Chadwick -
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you require by write and score language assignments? I may have something available shortly that would suit what you are looking for.
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Monique Gaudin -
Hey Ryan
What are you working on and will it be ready in the next month?
As it is an independent study program the students currently test out on all content with multiple choice paper test on a scantron. We want the students to demonstrate proficiency in their ability to write. Because the students currently do not need to write any assignments we have no way to assess their needs or proficiency in writing. As our program is set up where one teacher tests in multiple areas allowing all students in attendance to test in different subjects simotaneously, the grading of any writing assignment would have to be computer program generated. For example, when writing in word you can set the preferences to indicate spelling and grammar errors. The program would then need to give the assignment a score based on structual writing areas, and posibly a score based on whether an essay hit some key concepts that could be programed in.
Thanks
Monique

by Ryan Chadwick -
Hi Monique,

What I'm working on doesn't do automated marking so it probably won't do what you need.

I'm not actually aware of any program that automatically marks essay type material. (though I must admit I haven't done any specific research into it either)

If you decide to do manual marking however my activity will be ready in about 3 - 4 weeks and I'll have a website up shortly where you can find out more.

- Ryan
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Monique Gaudin -
Great Let me know when you get the site up Ryan smile