Can I create weighting and marks for a "programs and terms"?

Can I create weighting and marks for a "programs and terms"?

by Carvell Fenton -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all, me again,

Let me give a little explanation. In our institution, we have the following structure:

• Several Programs.
  • A Program has a group of courses that all students in that program take (no electives etc.)
  • Courses are organized into programs by terms.
  • As a group of students progress through a Program, they are tracked with a session number (e.g. these students are session 0001 taking Program A).

Students get marks for courses, and I understand that gradebook can easily handle all the marking options for a course. However, the students also receive a term mark that is weighted by courses in the term, and a Program mark. Don't ask me why, I am just the software guy wink

So, my question is, would there be a Moodle recommended way to generate the overall marks for the terms and programs?

For example, would I have to make the programs and terms "courses", and then some how make the actual subjects/courses activities of the program and term that can be "graded"? Is it even possible to make a course an activity of another course, and link in the final grade?

I am doing some experiementation with metacourses, but it is not clear to me yet if that is the answer.

Thanks, and have a great weekend,
Carvell

In reply to Carvell Fenton

Re: Can I create weighting and marks for a "programs and terms"?

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Carvell
While I can't provide an instant solution for you I can explain that the metacourse only deals with the enrolments. Those enroled in a child course automatically receive access to the metacourse. The gradebook only calculate and weights the graded activities from that one specific course so I guess there are a few things you could do,
  • if each session is only a small component you could have one course for the term with each session as a topic section (and if required a grade category can be used to organise and calculate the session's graded activities with the appropriate weighting)
  • create new course for the term and manually input the final grades from the individual session courses into the gradebook (which has the relevant weightings)
  • use an external means of aggregating and weighting the grades
I hope this is a little helpful for you smile
Cheers
Teresa