Another visual improvement to gradebook

Another visual improvement to gradebook

by Jim Rehmann -
Number of replies: 10

What I'd really like to see, and I don't know if this is the right place to put it, is a gradebook that more easy to read quickly so the user can tell their status with a lesson at a quick glance... something like that mock up which is attached that has a green light / red light metaphor.

Attachment gradebook.jpg
In reply to Jim Rehmann

Re: Another visual improvement to gradebook

by Nicolas Connault -
Interesting idea, Jim. Do you think it would be sufficient if the Percentage and/or Grade letter was coloured in red/green, depending on whether it has reached the gradepass threshold?
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Robert Russo -
I think that coloring the grade would be acceptable, but it may be an accessibility issue, whereas a separate column of pass/fail icons colored in red and green would satisfy both requirements.

Good idea btw.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Nicolas Connault -
Ok, then let's drop the colour altogether. Why not have a "Pass" or "Completed" column with a tick mark for each passed grade? That shows the same information, but even more clearly and succinctly, without the accessibility issue.

Optionally, we could also put a percentage or a progress bar, representing how far the student has gone towards fulfilling each requirement. That could even go above 100%, or the bar could overflow past a "marker" of some kind, for students who achieve more than the required passing grade.

by Jim Rehmann -
I really like the color option... It won't affect that many folks... and those that it does will probably not see much of a difference.  Just my two cents.

by Jim Rehmann -

It would definately be an improvement... A number of folks are red/green colorblind, so either way it would be done, they would see it in a shade of gray instead of red/green.  (It's most prevalent in men).

Regardless... It would be an improvement!

Jim

In reply to Jim Rehmann

by Marcus Hoberg -

Hi Jim,

this is what I was asking for yesterday (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=118653). The coloring function is the first step, and it already works on the teachers overview.

But it would also be helpful to have this for the student. Students have two different lists; one for the course results, and on for all courses. If we can add this colouring, or better trafic light visualiation, to these lists, that would be great!

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Hoberg

by Paul Vaughan -
I think the text colouring option is a good one (despite the colour blindness issue) but worry that on a large gradebook (and I'm sure there are a lot out there) the distinction could get lost in columns full of text. I like the red/green dot more (as I work very visually) and a coloured barchart too would be a good visual indicator.
In reply to Paul Vaughan

by Elena Ivanova -
just in case, those dots should differ in shape. So they can be red cross and green checkmark instead, like in a quiz.