Server Error when adding questions

Server Error when adding questions

by Graeme Starke -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem with quizzes right at the basic level.

As soon as I try to add a question it gives a server error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@homelearn.com.au and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.5 Server at homelearn.com.au Port 80
It does this with any question type. Am I doing something wrong or is there a configuration that I need to fix?
Regards
Graeme
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graeme Starke

Re: Server Error when adding questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, first you need to persuade your web server to give you the real error message. That may be as simple as turning on Debugging.

Once we have the real error message, rather than some generic notice from the web server, we will be in a better position to help.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Graeme Starke -

Hi Tim and others

I have turned on Debugging to developer mode (which should give the most detailed reporting) and Display Debug Message, but get exactly the same error when trying to add a question. Does this imply that I need to refer this to the apache host administrator or is there anything else I can do at the moodle admin level?

Regards

Graeme

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I guess so. As the on-screen error says, the extra information may be in the apache error log. Do you have access to that?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Graeme Starke -

Hi Tim

All I have access to is the server error log, which shows a "file does not exist" error for "500.shtml". The log is showing a number of similar errors, though, whenever I do anything on the moodle site but which do not appear to affect functionality. I think I will have to refer this back up to my host admin. I'll come back if they see something that is moodle and not site related.

Regards

Graeme

by Chris Potter -
I am seeing this problem from off campus, but not on our internal LAN. I too have little information to provide from what's already listed. It would be great if we at least knew why. Is there something that apache doesn't like and is rejecting? I haven't been able to figure it out exactly. We provide our faculty with VPN access and by doing so, this doesn't cause the error. DNS? Firewall? Maybe the little bit of information I've provided will help narrow it a bit.
In reply to Chris Potter

by Graeme Starke -

I've passed this issue up to my domain host admin who is working on the problem.

When he finds a solution I will post it here.

Regards

Graeme

by Graeme Starke -

Hi

For the benefit of all, our domain host (newsprout.com.au - who have provided awesome support) have sorted the issue for us.

This is their details of what was tried and done:

"At first as I mentioned before, it could have been something to do with the PHP limits. I increased those for you:
php_value memory_limit 16M
php_value upload_max_filesize 20M

But as we know that didn't fix it, and it's not something an end user can fix.

We checked a few other things and found that mod_security seemed to be breaking it. One of our system administrators needed to make some changes to the mod_security config."

Hope this helps others too.

Regards

Graeme