404 error when adding a Resource to a Course Topic

404 error when adding a Resource to a Course Topic

by Grahame Gerstenberg -
Number of replies: 7

I've waded through a lot of similar posts but can't find a solution that works for me - hence yet another "404 error" post!

Uploaded Moodle (1.9.4+) onto hosted website running Apache 2 and PHP4.4.8.  Installation via install.php went OK after minor issues with database name/access (resolved with hosting company tech support).

Moodle directory sits at:   /var/virtual/web/user/html/moodle

Moodledata directory sits at: /var/virtual/web/user/moodledata

Logged in as Administrator & started creating courses - uploaded course files from home server into directories under moodledata. I can link to a file via "Add a resource", but when I try to dsplay the file I get the 404 error.  I can display a directory OK.

Have checked permissions on moodle and moodledata directories. Moodledata is currently 777 (while I try to fix this problem).

I don't have access to host server so tried adding .htaccess file to Moodle directory with "AcceptPathInfo On". No change with 404 error.

I notice the PHP config for my website (host server) includes the line: "arg_separator.input  =  &" which makes me wonder if the server can't interpret the slashes Moodle uses in its path variables - but then I'm grasping at straws here and could be way off base.

So, before I log another call with the web host tech support people I thought I'd try my luck here. Any suggestions/ advice would be greatly appreciated smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Grahame Gerstenberg

Re: 404 error when adding a Resource to a Course Topic

by Albert Ramsbottom -
What permissions have you set on the actual files that you are trying to access?

Paul

by Edward Dudley -
I'm having the same problems but on a Windows server.

How could I check / set my permissions on the moodledata folder?
In reply to Edward Dudley

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Right click the folder, choose properties, then click on the security tab...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Edward Dudley -
Thanks.

The security tab has everything granted to EVERYONE.

Any other ideas what this problem could be?

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You need to grant the IUSR<machine name> account read write access to the Moodle data folder.

Is there an entry for IUSR<machine name>?

by Edward Dudley -
Found the problem - the slash settings needed to be changed for my server.

Server > HTTP > Untick use slash arguments in case it helps anyone else!

by Richard Enison -
GG and other Moodle newbies reading this thread from now on,

No, the arg_separator has nothing to do with path variables. The default is & for both input and output, according to http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php, and that should be okay. Now that more than half a year has passed and you are no longer enrolled, hopefully ED's solution worked for you as it did for him.

RLE