1.4 upgrade problems?

1.4 upgrade problems?

by Andy Hawkins -
Number of replies: 3

Win2K, IIS.

Upgraded to 1.4 (2004083100) from 1.3

Looks good but unusually we seem to have a few problems ..

1 - Categories show 0 courses (as admin with editing on and off). Admin cannot even search for a course.

As a user the existing courses show in block on front page. In coruse list no courses show in each category and you have to search to find one. (they do exist)

2 - the front page news has disappeared - shows 0 posts (should be 3). Admin is asked to post a new topic.

3 - All our existing resources now open in the same window rather than a frame - ie not backward compatible without visiting each resource and ticking same window option (my colleagues are not happy about this)

4 - Upgrading the logs timed out suggesting it was going to take over 8 hours just for the first one. We will not bother unless it is critical.

Is anyone else experiencing similar behaviour?

Quite possible we have some conflicting settings (now there seem to be more of them wink ) and any help tracking them down would be appreciated - esp a global resource same window setting.

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Hawkins

Re: 1.4 upgrade problems?

by Andy Hawkins -

Thought I'd repair the sql database in case there was an issue.

All Ok except:

moodle.mdl_user_adminsrepairerror13 when fixing table
moodle.mdl_user_adminsrepairerrorCan't copy datafile-header to tempfile, error 9
moodle.mdl_user_adminsrepairstatusOperation failed

Might this be relevant? (If not I'll post as separate topic.)

Now when logging in as admin configuration block is missing.

Direct admin url tells me it cannot create an admin user.

phpmyadmin cannot access the user-admins table:

SHOW KEYS FROM `mdl_user_admins`

MySQL said:

Can't open file: 'mdl_user_admins.MYI'. (errno: 144)

Think we are in trouble.  Not sure where to go next - cannot seem to find this problem when searching forums.

Any help gratefully received.

TIA

In reply to Andy Hawkins

Re: 1.4 upgrade - SQL corrupt from pre-upgrade backup

by Andy Hawkins -

I think we have an underlying MySQL issue, arising from the time of the Moodle upgrade.

When we 'exported' our moodle database (using phpmyadmin), as per upgrade instructions, the process timed out and hung.

Theory: this may have left the my sql temp folder, or file(s) within it locked open, or alternatively it ran out of space(though the hidden temp file it was using must have grown enormous).

Intermittent/periodic subsequent access to this folder/file(s) causes a problem - or possibly because the temp file has outgrown space available.

This is supported by a similar error in our Mambo CMS.
If these ideas are impossible, we welcome correction of our understanding.

Steps taken so far:
PHP - in php.ini:

• increase script timeouts to 90 and memory_limit to 64M
  • !question - is there a rule of thumb how big these values should be? (ideally, simultaneous user x applications x database tables / 'magic number' - but I realise there are many other variables)

Moodle -in lib/settings/php

• set memorylimit to 48M (based on http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=11959 discussion)
  • !question - a) should this be smaller than php.ini limit so Moodle does not hog all PHP memory resources? b) am I right in assuming moodle uses this value rather than php.ini value?

MySQL

• stop MySQL service
  • change mySQL configuration from medium to large (see mysql sample config files)
  • create new filesystem folder to act as temp folder for mysql
  • set filesystem ACLs on this folder to same as old one.
  • change settings in environment variables (and also service start parameters) to point to new folder
  • restart mysql

phpmyadmin

• repair users_admin in moodle database
  • result - cannot find users_admin myd! This is now critical to managing moodle. All help gratefully received.

Good news -

• Moodle (and Mambo) performance now seems improved.
  • Front page posts seem to have returned
  • Course listings seem to have returned in categories, even for admin.

Incidental: In discussion http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=11959 - have now seen comments re: 16M being adequate. I will tune down the settings.php in line with this comment.

[Martin/moderator - now we have dug deeper, perhaps the title of this topic should change (if possible) to 'SQL error during pre-upgrade backup' to help others. I will search again about user_admins, now that seems isolated, and post separately if necessary about that. TIA]