Single install with multiple languages

Single install with multiple languages

by Beth Cummings -
Number of replies: 2

We are currently using Blackboard Basic which allows us to install one langage pack (Japanese).  The navigation allows for the student to select the preferred language from the login page, then the entire GUI displays with kanji.  Faculty have uploaded their PowerPoint & Word files plus they have a couple of areas where they copied and pasted the kanji directly into the course. 

As an alternative to Blackboard, I need to reproduce language support features  within Moodle. From various forum postings and the documentation, it looks as though this is definately possible.  I have looked at a number of courses as a guest and I am very relieved that a solution is out there.  Its time for me to get a server ready and begin the installation.

What is unclear to me is how many languages are available to a student?  If we decided to add other Asian languages in addition to Japanese, will Moodle support that?  (login page displays icon/link for Japanese, Chinese, and ...) Or, should I be prepared to have a dedicated Moodle install for Japanese and another for Chinese?  The courses we are hosting are intended for native speakers so I need the entire GUI to be translated.  What do you think is the best way to accomplish this with Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beth Cummings

Re: Single install with multiple languages

by Robert Brenstein -
You can have as many different languages loaded in Moodle as you want. Users can set their preferred language in their profile. Teachers can set a specific language for their course. At your site, users can choose the session language from the popup menu, just like you see it on moodle.org. If you visit courses in other languages in moodle.org, you can see that all is running at the same time with no problem. Welcome to Moodle smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)