Ability to mark someone as late or no show

Ability to mark someone as late or no show

by Scott Karren -
Number of replies: 6

Francois

I had a thought last night when looking over the cancellations for some of my classes.  What would it take to add different attendance options to the take attendance screen.  It would be nice to be able to mark people as Attended, Late, No Show, Excused, or Cancelled so that you can get better statistical reporting of students.

I would envision different checkboxes on the take attendance screen, those that cancel their attendance would automatically be marked as Cancelled.  The instructor would manage the other options after class and mark appropriately if the student attended, was late, didn't show up, or was excused.

Just some random thoughts.  I don't know if I have the PHP expertise to actually do this right now but wondered what other people thought of this.

Scott Karren

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Karren

Re: Ability to mark someone as late or no show

by François Marier -
Hi Scott,

It sounds like a good idea.

UI-wise, it could also be a drop down where the teacher would mark people as "Attended", "Late", "No show" or "Excused" (the "Cancelled" one being tracked separately). I'd probably tend to use a drop-down instead of multiple checkboxes since all of the options are mutually exclusive.

On the backend side of things, you could either use different numbers for things. e.g.

- grade of 0 for no-show
- grade of 60 for excused
- grade of 50 for late
- grade of 100 for attended

Or (a better solution), you could use a custom scale with these labels.

Cheers,
Francois
In reply to François Marier

by Scott Karren -
Francois

Thanks for the feedback. The UI sounds easy enough to implement just by adding the dropdown list to the take attendance screen. I am not sure how I would link that to a custom scale though.

The scale itself is easy enough to create, but I haven't played with scales enough to know how the integrate into the grading system and how I would point the face-to-face code to look at the custom scale. The other thing I am looking at that is a known issue is the fact that a person can only sign up for one session in a face to face. I would like to be able to code it such that if grade = 0 then allow user to sign up for another session but still keep the grade in the existing session.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Scott Karren
In reply to Scott Karren

by François Marier -
Hi Scott,

Allowing users to signup to two different sessions within the same Face-to-face activity is a bit tricky because we designed the Face-to-face module with the idea that all sessions have the same contents.

Based on that assumption, it makes sense to have only 1 grade and to prevent students from signing up to multiple identical sessions.

Also, we use a grade of 0 for people who haven't attended a session yet, so you'd probably need to check other things. Perhaps:

- the session is in the past
- the grade for that session is 0

But then again, it might be better to remove the student's signup...

Francois
In reply to Scott Karren

by Aaron Barnes -

Hi Scott,

Looking through the tracker I noticed your feature request. What you ask is now possible with version 1.6 of the Face-to-face module.

We have implemented signup status, and currently have the possible attendance values of "Fully attended", "Partially attended", and "No Show". They are selectable on the take attendance page via a drop down, and due to the way it is coded it would be trivial to add more options.

The new module also allows a user to signup to another session if they are marked as a no show.

The only tricky part I could see would be adding the code to set grade for the new values (although that wouldn't be that hard). Partially attended currently equals a 50% grade, and fully attended a 100% grade.

Cheers,
Aaron

In reply to Aaron Barnes

by Ronald Balhan -

Is it in multiple days events also possible to take attendance for each date and set/calculate passed grades accordingly?

It seems that you now take attendance for the whole f2f session whether it is a single date event or a multiple days event.