Teacher who cannot directly edit grades in grader report

Teacher who cannot directly edit grades in grader report

by Paul Ortman -
Number of replies: 3
A professor notified me today that he could no longer directly enter grades into the gradebook (v1.9.4+). Turning on editing mode for the gradebook showed the various icons, but grade fields still were text and not input fields. He can, however, enter grades through the assignment "quick grader" or individual submission "grade and feedback wizard." Additionally, this bug is present for every course the professor is teaching or has taught. In each course he has the standard "editing teacher" role.

No capability overrides are applied that I can find at the system, course or user contexts (as shown viewing through the web browser).

I've unenrolled the professor and re-enrolled him -- no change. If I enroll a different account with the same "editing teacher" role in the course, that new account has all the standard behavior that one would expect for the role.

Clearly something got flipped for this professor's account or course enrollment, but I'm at a loss to figure out how to correct it. I've quite comfortable in code debugging and database mucking so if anyone has an idea as to how to figure this out (how to dump a user's capabilities or what tables to query for an explanation of user capabilities) I would love to hear it. Thanks.
In reply to Paul Ortman

Re: Teacher who cannot directly edit grades in grader report

by Nicolas Connault -
Paul,

Can you check if this teacher has disabled the "Quick grading" setting in the grader report preferences page? This will remove the input fields, leaving only an edit icon (hand with pen) next to each grade. Grading is still possible by clicking these icons, but probably quite tedious.

The report preferences are user preferences, so they only apply to a particular user, regardless of roles and enrolments. They all affect the User Interface or the display of grades.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Paul Ortman -
Wow, don't know how I missed that. Thank you.

This is probably me looking for a scapegoat, but I think some terminology and location of the various settings could deserve some review.

"My report settings" seems to denote settings that only affect this one report; i.e. scope of page. If the settings have a user gradebook scope, would the name better indicate that... "My gradebook settings"

Thanks again for your help. Now I have to figure out how/why this prof changed that setting.
In reply to Paul Ortman

by Nicolas Connault -
Paul,

The settings on the grader report preferences page (the one you refer to) only affect the grader report. Other reports are not affected. Thus it would be incorrect to call it "My gradebook preferences".

Due to the plugin nature of gradebook reports, each of them can have their own preferences, but they do not know anything about each other's preferences.