New gradebook interface - ID Numbers and Calculations

New gradebook interface - ID Numbers and Calculations

by Elena Ivanova -
Number of replies: 4
I was extremely concerned by the necessity for instructors to enter ID Numbers manually for every single activity which needs to be included in a calculation later.

My idea was to:
- Make sure that those IDs are added automatically by some kind of computer magic (Do we have a ticket for this, by a chance?)
- Then, after chatting with LSU folks, I have realized that one can just disable calculations altogether for an installation, and use familiar looking categories to aggregate grades. Loved it, will do that! At least for now.

Any thoughts?
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: New gradebook interface - ID Numbers and Calculations

by Matt Campbell -
MDL-13933 is probably the closest to any suggestion of automatically adding idnumbers, and that's for synchronizing it with an external database.

But I can see how having idnumbers automatically created (when the activity is created?) would simplify things if you're using calculations, whether or not you're wanting to hook into a Student Information System.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Thomas Brown -

I do not follow the logic of the Calculation feature. It seems very non-intuitive to me. For example, to add three grades I must say this:

=sum(Q1quizQ1labQ1CMap)

...which returns an "invalid formula" complaint from Moodle -- I don't know why.

Would it not be easier and more intuitive to say:

(Q1 + Q2 + Q3)

And then once I get the "sum" function syntax correct, I still have no clue as to how to do simple division and multiplication on the sum.

My preference would be for simple mathematical formulas as in Excel

This is my first semester using Moodle, and so far the Gradebook is by far the most frustrating and difficult component to learn and use.

In reply to Thomas Brown

by Suzanne Faber -
Thomas,
The calculation feature does work in a similar fashion to Excel. The only thing different is that you need to make sure the items you are grading are surrounded by brackets. You also need to make sure you place commas between the items as well. Your sum formula would look like this:

=sum (Q1quiz, Q1lab, Q1CMap)

To multiply or divide on that you would use / for divide and * for multiply.
In reply to Suzanne Faber

by Nicolas Connault -
Moodle actually thinks that your double brackets are links (a bit like wikipedia). I'm printing the formula here

=sum ([[Q1quiz]], [[Q1lab]], [[Q1CMap]])