How to show groups in gradebook?

How to show groups in gradebook?

by James Ripps -
Number of replies: 7
Hi, I teach 5 periods of chemistry, and I'm using moodle to grade my student's homework online.

I've got the students seperated out into groups, one for each period. But when I click on the gradebook, all students across all periods are presented together. I've tried clicking on "Hide/Show group" but nothing seems to help.

What do I need to do?
In reply to James Ripps

Re: How to show groups in gradebook?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You need to have your course set to groups in course settings. If you have set your groups up correctly then there will be a drop down box offering you a choice of groups to select to mark
In reply to James Ripps

by Dakota Duff -

Make sure that in the Site Administration settings you have Grades -> Report Settings -> Grader Report -> Show Groups set to "Yes" (checked). The default is "No" and this prevents the Grader Report from respecting groups.

BTW - I've requested a similar "feature" for the User Report. Currently, even teachers who only see their own group in the Grader Report can see any user's User Report. If you'd like to vote for it, it's MDL-18119 in the Tracker.

In reply to Dakota Duff

by Red Morris -

I've set Show Groups to Yes, but I still don't see a drop-down for Groups, even as an admin. The course has groups enabled. Assignments have groups set to Separate, Available to Group members only. Grouping is set to a grouping. In the report Show Groups in set.

Am I missing something obvious here?

In reply to Red Morris

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Red,

I guess that the reason why you don't see a groups dropdown menu is because you have assignments set to a particular grouping only. This is part of the wider issue of the gradebook not considering groupings functionality - see MDL-13868.
In reply to Red Morris

by Dakota Duff -

A few things to check, Red. I'm going to go through each one, so forgive me if you already said you'd done this:

1. Groups are enabled for the course (Course -> Settings -> Groups: Group Mode = Separate Groups)
  2. You have one or more groups in the course (Course -> Groups)
  3. Each group has at least one member (Course -> Groups)
  4. You've enabled Show Groups in the Grader report settings (Site Administration -> Grades -> Report Settings -> Grader report -> Show groups)
  5. When viewing the Gradebook you have the group visibility properly set (Grader Report should have a link that says "Hide groups". If it says "Show groups" you need to click it.)
In reply to Dakota Duff

by Red Morris -
It seems that to fix this I had to go snowboarding! I went away and when I came back I copied the live database to the dev server, and I was able to select the Groups type within the course again. *shrug* I'm happy with that fix though, and will use it whenever possible
In reply to Dakota Duff

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

These steps have worked for me to get groups to show up in my gradebook.

HOWEVER, when I set any of my courses to Visibile or Separate groups, then students who are grouped in these courses cannot see their final grade -- it displays as " -- " and this is not resolved until I change the Course setting back to No Groups. So for now I am forgoing having the groupings appear in my grade book until I can figure out how to ensure students can see their course grade with the Course set to a grouping mode.

But again, thanks for your clear steps!