Gradebook Terms

Gradebook Terms

by Casey Mynott -
Number of replies: 4
Hello all,

Is it possible to weight sub categories? I teach in a school that uses 3 terms to get to a final mark. I have attached a screen shot. I am trying to weight the terms to get to a final mark and also weight the sub categories, assignments, quizzes, and participation to get to a term total. Thanks for any info!

Casey

screenshot
In reply to Casey Mynott

Re: Gradebook Terms

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Casey,

Yes, you can weight sub categories. You need to edit the Category totals (the default grade item name - unless you edit it).

If you click on the "edit" icon next to the Category total you will find a screen where you can edit the weight of the category and rename the grade item to Term 1/2/3 etc.

Screen-shots attached for clarity.
Attachment demo.jpg
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

by Casey Mynott -
Hi Barry,

Thanks so much for the reply. Do you know if it is possible to weight the sub-sub categories. For example, our terms are 20, 30, and 50% for the year. So, I can "weight" these parent categories. The terms have weighted components as well, assignments - 45%, quizzes - 45%, and participation 10%? It does not seem like I can weight the categories inside the parent categories. What you showed I see in changing one of the assignment totals for example. Like if I wanted to change what the general safety quiz is out of. I maybe missing something? Thanks a ton for any info!

Casey
In reply to Casey Mynott

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Casey,

You're welcome.

I use simple mean of grades for all my grade categories. You can set the maximum grade of each quiz (45), assignment (45)& participation (10) category total according to your desired weighting. I attach a screen-shot of where I would make what changes.

You could try using formulas instead of my method. You have to give each grade item an ID number and then use a formula to calculate your desired result.

To use formulas:

1. Click on the Calculator icon next to the category total of the item you want to change in the Categories and Item screen.
2. Give each grade item an ID number
3. At the bottom of the screen click on "Add id numbers"
4. Use the ID numbers you created to enter a formula in the Calculation area of the same screen and click save changes.

Here are a couple of simple formulas you could use: (copied from the help file)
Hope this helps

Attachment Screenshot-1.png
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

by Casey Mynott -
Hi Barry,

Thanks again for the info. I have TOTALLY figured out my courses and the setting I need for my application.

The Terms are set to > weighted mean of grades
The sub categories are set to > Sum, becasue of the parent category I now have a weight for the sub category.

Works great! Just thought I would pass this on. Thanks again!

Casey