thinking to role moodle/course:managefiles

thinking to role moodle/course:managefiles

by Daniele Cordella -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I am the admin of my first child class collaborative site. http://www.25sorrisi.it
Inside the courses we use resources like "display a folder" to share documents (Minutes of meeting and so forth).
Up to today I was the only one with the right to upload files.
Now, the class "parents representative" (I don't know this name in English, sorry) is asking me the capability to upload files.
I duplicated the student role, I called the copy: "parents representative", I changed the role moodle/course:managefiles to "allow" and I assigned the "parents representative" to this new role. Now he is allowed to upload files to the "displayed folder" resource **BUT** he is allowed to delete backup or email attachments too. This is not what I was expecting!!!
Where am I wrong? Am I wrong? Is this matter for a new moodle feature request?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniele Cordella

Re: thinking to role moodle/course:managefiles

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Daniele,

As you've found, the capability moodle/course:managefiles controls access to the whole of the course files folder. As course backups, forum attachments and other course files are all stored in this folder, a user with moodle/course:managefiles allowed can delete any of these files.

To be able to restrict the parents representative to a particular subfolder, I think you'll have to wait for the file handling improvements in Moodle 2.0. In the meantime, perhaps you can just ask your parents representative not to delete anything from the course files folder.

PS Just moving this discussion to the roles and capabilities forum...
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: thinking to role moodle/course:managefiles

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Ciao Helen and thanks.
We had the same "strategic" idea to guarantee the site security!!!! sorridente