Repeat names in Gradebook

Repeat names in Gradebook

by Robert Chapman -
Number of replies: 9
Is there a way to repeat student names in the gradebook? I would like to be able to repeat the names every few columns. Also is there a way to automatically have Moodle organize categories from newest created grade to oldest or vice-versa? Thanks.
In reply to Robert Chapman

Re: Repeat names in Gradebook

by Doug Baleshta -
I have not been able to find a way to repeat the names. However, if you create categories for your grade items, you can collapse the items into a category which then reduces the width. Moodle also allows you to click on an area around the name/row (but not on it) and also click the column in the same manner with the small hand (upper left of the column). This then colours both the row and column which gives you an intersection to place the marks. You can also create a grade item, that is text based only. Although I haven't found a way to enter the text, you can place the person's name in the feedback. When you move the mouse over the area in the Gradebook, you get a pop-up saying Feedback with the name displayed. You could potentially move this item around in the gradebook which allows you to see the name in the adjacent column.

Doug

by Ben Davis -
This would be a great item to improve in moodle gradebook.

my school district uses X2 Aspen for their SIS, and they just updated the gradebook feature to use AJAX... it is great, because you don't submit every value in the gradebook any time you hit save changes...

would be nice to see.

by David Fountain -
There is a small hack which repeats the name down the right http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12132 and I think if you look in the tracker there is a proposal to stick names to the left side of the screen ala 'freeze frame' that you can vote for.

I also have hacked grade/report/grader/lib.php line 836 to make the input box a lot narrower (the bit in red was 6)
$studentshtml .= '<input size="1" tabindex="' . $tabindices[$item->id]['grade']

and used the css for IE to make the grade names go vertical.
In reply to David Fountain

by Robert Russo -
Our gradebook at LSU has a feature called sticky tabs, which enables a locked (left right scrolling only) user names and idnumber column. Let me know if you're interested.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Vicki Dunnam -
Yes, I would be very interested in the sticky tabs that enable locks username and id column in the gradebook.  I am just now getting back to this issue.  smile 
In reply to David Fountain

by Vicki Dunnam -
I am interested in the names being on the right and the vertical alignment.  Can you send me the information? 
In reply to Vicki Dunnam

by David Fountain -
Add this to your css for vertical text (in Internet Explorer only)

.grade-report-grader table#user-grades .catlevel2 {
writing-mode: tb-rl; filter: flipH() flipV();
}