Totals not showing

Totals not showing

by Suzanne Faber -
Number of replies: 5
I have a course where I am using weighted mean of grades for the course. There are five categories each of the categories are set to mean of grades. I am not getting totals for any section. Anyone have an idea why this is? I've been pretty good about troubleshooting gradebook issues for 1.9.1 so far, but this one has me stumped.
In reply to Suzanne Faber

Re: Totals not showing

by Suzanne Faber -
I changed the categories to sum to see if that would work and instead of the totals being blank it has the totals as 0. It is still not doing the math somehow.

by Suzanne Faber -
I finally figured things out. For some reason the category file had a glitch. I moved the assignments into a different folder and I started getting totals. I deleted the folder with the glitch and created a new one. The gradebook now has totals.

by Richard Webb -
I'm looking at a teacher's class that calculates category totals for all but the two categories with no scores in it, but does not calculate a course total. I tried putting the two blank categories in another category so ALL of the categories have a category total, but still no course total. So, I looked at your thread and thought maybe this might be the answer--a "glitch." Was there something that you could find that said there was a glitch? I'm totally baffled by this one!

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer from your recent experience.

Richard
In reply to Richard Webb

by Suzanne Faber -
Richard,
There was nothing that said it was a glitch. It was just something I discovered from moving the assignments from the folder that did not calculate totals into a new category folder. When I moved the assignments into the newly created category the totals showed.

How are you trying to set up this gradebook? I've ran into situations before where I discovered that to have the totals show each category has to be set up correctly. This happens most of the time when a teacher wants the gradebook to be weighted. What I discovered is that the course category folder needs to be set to weighted mean of grades. After that, each category folder for the course needs to be set to mean of grades.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you with this. I know the importance in making sure the gradebook is functioning properly.
In reply to Richard Webb

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
I had the same problem and solved it the same way. I tried everything to figure out the original problem, and simply found no reason. Recreating the category and moving the related items into it did the trick.