Workshop questions...

Workshop questions...

by Chris Potter -
Number of replies: 3
A fellow colleague and I are presenting at a large conference (CIT - USA) this month and just want to make sure we have everything covered. We have a couple of questions regarding the workshop module:

1. How are default scores and gradebook results calculated?
  2. Why are some scores dropped?
  3. How does over-allocation really work?
  4. How does the instructor determine ideal deadlines?

We'd appreciate any feedback we can get on this or even some ideas to bounce around. Thanks for anything you can provide!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Potter

Re: Workshop questions...

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Chris,

Are you firmly committed to this presentation? I only ask as the Workshop module is hidden in new installs of Moodle as it's in need of a fair amount of TLC...

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Chris Potter -
Ray,

Thanks a ton for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, yes... the session descriptions were sent out a long time ago and if modified (we've been warned about this by the conference personnel) this late would probably not be worth the hassle. It might be possible to cover another module if we state early some the issues outlined below and a brief explanation.

My colleague and I (John) have noticed some "quirks" and noticed there didn't seem to be a developer maintaining it, so we expected this. It was in the outline for the session that the Workshop module was in somewhat of a "broken" state, but with explanation of how it could work and the benefits of it (John speaks very highly of it's working aspects). We didn't feel very comfortable stating any of this without more information, so it wasn't totally unexpected.

We're covering a few of the "advanced modules" that Moodle has (since last year at the conference, advanced users didn't get hardly anything out of the sessions they had). Would you have any more information about this situation or perhaps possible suggestions for the session that we could communicate about via PM or email? We'd just like to be well-informed so we can make the best decision about how to proceed. I have posted my email address in my profile and I noticed you have skype. I will add mine to my Moodle profile also so you can contact me if you like. I know we have a time difference, but maybe I can catch you at a good time.

Thanks again for your help!
In reply to Chris Potter

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Chris,

I'm a little rusty on the Workshop module as my recommendation to clients for quite some time has been to give this module a wide berth for anything that is remotely critical. You can see my concerns expressed in the discussion regarding a call for comments on a revised module (which sadly didn't emerge as a revision but a proliferation of modules).

A search in the Tracker will provide you with some insights into the current state of play.

I'd be happy to have a chat if you feel it would be beneficial. I'll drop you a message separately on this.