Installation Problem: Internal Server Error

Installation Problem: Internal Server Error

by l taylor -
Number of replies: 3

I have uploaded moodle 1.3.2 and I thought config correctly but when go to site get message

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@dharmakirti-ecollege.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

I have checked index.php and config.php but not familiar with servers. What do I need to do here.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to l taylor

Re: Installation Problem: Internal Server Error

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

A couple of things …

You have set $CFG->wwwroot = 'http://dharmakirti-ecollege.org'; when I looked at this page I got a directory listing which is poor security for a start but the big problem is that this is not your Moodle home pages. You probably mean …

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://dharmakirti-ecollege.org/courses';

… but you need to check this.

Probably not your problem, but something to check. You have created your moodledata file underneath the public_html directory, this is a bad idea as the data may be publicly accessible. Also, if you did create this where you say you have I would expect to see it in the directory listing, but I don't. Did you create it? Create this directory directly under your home directory so that it cannot be served to the web by apache.

Interestingly it didn't matter what I typed as a URL beyond courses got the same error, even (especially) files that I know would not exist, so I suspect that the problem lies in the configuration of your server software rather than moodle.

If none of this helps then the next stage is to check the apache error logs immediately after the error occurs. There will (hopefully) be a more helpful error message in there.

Good luck! smile

In reply to Howard Miller

by l taylor -

I made all the corrections to config page thanks , but still getting error so looked at error log

When look at Apache Server Log it says

65.75.174.140] /home/dharmak/public_html/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_flag', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

I am assuming the problem is with this .htaccess file. I found such a file in lib directory. Renamed it with the . and moved to root directory but it seems to disappear!

If I am right about this file where does it go.

And I am still not able to get onto

dharmakirti-ecollege.org/courses.org

Thanks for your help

Loren

In reply to l taylor

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It disappears because files beginning with a . are hidden. you have to do

ls -al

to see them, that's all.

You *still* have a badly misconfigured server which will make it very hard to debug the problem. You should not get an internal server error just because of missing files. Another thing... if your Moodle install is under /courses then...

home/dharmak/public_html/.htaccess

....is not part of your Moodle install, so I can't imaging how you got there. I'm running out of sensible suggestions smile Perhaps you should post your config.php file here and keep looking at your error logs to see if anything shows up.

Failing all that, if remote access is available you are welcome to contact me privately and I will have a quick look myself.