Grayed Out Grade

Grayed Out Grade

by Eric Westland -
Number of replies: 3
I have one student where on one assignment, his grade is grayed out. I have been unable to correct this. Any ideas? Ver. 1.92 I've attached a screen shot.

TIA,

Eric

Attachment gray.jpg
In reply to Eric Westland

Re: Grayed Out Grade

by Gary Anderson -
It looks like this is an item the you entered directly in the gradebook rather than from the assignment submission page. In the grader report in the gradebook, you can "turn editing on", and override grades (or enter them directly).

I don't normally do this for assignments, but it is sometimes helpful for quizzes and other activities. Even for assignments, however, it is helpful for bulk entry of grades if you don't care to always use the assignment grading module for assigning grades.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Eric Westland -

Thanks Gary, that worked.  I'm still not sure what caused this grade to be "grayed out"  in the first place for this particular student.  I have tried to duplicate this condition, but have not been able to do so.

I typically use the assignment submission page to grade.  If a student resubmits work, or hands it in late, I then use the Update function when I look at the list of submitted assignments if I have already given them a grade.  When I do this for this student, the Update page is grayed out as well.

Do I have cause for concern or is this normal?

Thanks again,

Eric

Attachment gray4.jpg
In reply to Eric Westland

by Gary Anderson -
Eric:

To duplicate the condition, you could:

* Go to the grader report in the gradebook
* Click the button in the top right "Turn editing on"
* Enter grades
* To save, click the update button

You can also remove your overridden grades by clicking the edit icon for the item in this page, and unselect "overridden".

As in my previous comment, I would not suggest you use overridden grades for assignments, but it is helpful for quizzes and other graded activities where you can not enter grades directly when students submit them in ways other than Moodle.

--Gary