Special Needs student needs extra quiz time

Special Needs student needs extra quiz time

by Sidney Wood -
Number of replies: 6
If a special needs student needs extra quiz time compared to the other students, how can we assign the extra time individually to a participant?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sidney Wood

Re: Special Needs student needs extra quiz time

by Ann Adamcik -
I don't know of a way to allow a particular user a different amount of time than other users, but you can assign a user a role in which there is no time limit. Here's how we do this (using 1.9):

1. Create a duplicate of the student role - we named it "Student with no time limit". (Site Administration->Users->Permissions->Define Roles, then select Student and Duplicate role)
2. Edit the new role and set mod/quiz:ignoretimelimits to allow.
3. On an individual quiz, click 'Update this quiz', then 'Locally assigned roles', then select your new role and assign the student to it. He or she will then not have a time limit for that quiz.
In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Sidney Wood -
Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunetly the situation requires us to add "time and a half". The unlimited time will create other issues (fairness etc). So is there no way to do this. Due to human rights type issues I will need to find a workaround.
In reply to Sidney Wood

by Ann Adamcik -
I haven't tried it yet, but the 1.9 groupings feature is supposed to allow you to create an activity that will only be available to members of the grouping. I'm not sure how it works in practice, but in theory, you could add this student to his/her own group/grouping, and then create a duplicate quiz with the time and a half limit that is only available to that student.

Here's the Groupings documentation - http://docs.moodle.org/en/Groupings.

-Ann
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sidney Wood

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, the groupings feature might provide a work-around. Alternatively, there are other ways of enforcing the time limit than having Moodle do it. You could use a human invigilator, or you could just point out to the student that Moodle records how long they took and tell them not to spend more than a certain amount of time.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sidney Wood -
Great ideas! I think just letting the student know about the timestamp may work. Simple yet effective! I will also look into the grouping feature in this case. Thanks so much - I was beginning to get worried smile
In reply to Sidney Wood

by Paul Vaughan -
I know people have discussed this already, but I thought I would take the time to add an issue to the tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16478 "A quiz option, but on a per-student basis, to include n minutes of extra time, or n% extra time."

Please add votes (if you think it is a good idea) and your comments to further clarify what is required would I'm sure be beneficial too.