web address

web address

by Seth Goodwin -
Number of replies: 2
I'm sorry for what are probably very basic questions: I've just downloaded Moodle and am now trying to install it.  At the Moodle install page I am being prompted to enter a web address.  I am currently the only teacher using this at my high school.  Do I need to set something up within our school's server?  Or can I just register a web address for my class external to our server?  Which is best?  If I only need to create a web address for my class can I do this for free and where should I do it?  Many thanks! 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Goodwin

Re: web address

by Mark Miller -
You need to "host" your Moodle installation on a server someplace if you want others to be able to access it. Best bet is to see if your school will host it. If they won't do it, there are a number of service providers that you can use -- albeit for a fee. For example, I use Dreamhost. In the past I used Siteground. There are providers that specialize in hosting Moodle.

I've been using it in my high school english classes for the past three years and feel it's been a success.

regards

mark c. miller
noblesville indiana
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: web address

by Richard Weiner -
We had started a small private high school here in Florida 2 years ago, using online coursework through a local college, and are gearing up for the upcoming academic year with live teachers.

One of our daughter's school subscribes to Edline (way to expensive a subscription for us), and I found Moodle, and have built a new PC, installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server Edition on it. During the early hours of this AM, I went to my office (not the school's location), and installed latest stable version of Moodle. Voila, success, I was adding users, courses and roles!!!

I lost track of time.

Here's my issue, I want to get a static IP from my broadband carrier at work, register a doman, and host Moodle on that computer. Is this possible without paying a third party hosting company? This would save us several hundred dollars, and we are still in upstart mode (read, costs exceeding revenue this year again, especially with the state of the economy here in Florida).

Also, once I have a domain name registered (have checked them out, and plan on doing this today) and get a static ip, will I be able to link the domain name URL to the static ip for the served connected to my broadband router?

Richard