Allow one student to see an otherwise-hidden forum

Allow one student to see an otherwise-hidden forum

by Will H -
Number of replies: 9
Hi,

I have created a forum for a pupil who has long-term sickness to keep in touch with her classmates. I haven't released it to the class yet as I need to talk to them about her condition first, but I want the girl in question to be able to access it and make a first post.

I've assigned her the local role of non-editing teacher. She can see the forum, greyed out (like I see) on the course page, but when she clicks on it, it just says "Sorry, this activity is currently hidden".

I guess I need to override a permission somewhere but I can't find the right option. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Will.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will H

Svar: Allow one student to see an otherwise-hidden forum

by Daniel Håkansson -

Hi if you go in on www.root/admin/roles/manage.php and edit the non-editing teacher on row "View hidden sections" and set it to allow. then it should work just fine. It does it for me atleast.

Kind regards Daniel

In reply to Daniel Håkansson

Re: Svar: Allow one student to see an otherwise-hidden forum

by Will H -
Daniel, thanks for your reply but I've tried it and still get the same error.
In reply to Daniel Håkansson

by Will H -
Ah, I've had some success. I had to make the girl a non-editing teacher of the course, not the activity.

That works but I didn't really want to grant her those privileges except on this one forum. Any other suggestions, anyone?
In reply to Will H

Svar: Re: Svar: Allow one student to see an otherwise-hidden forum

by Daniel Håkansson -

Hi, what if you create a new role that is the same as a student role except on this point? it still will be for the entire course but will just be one thing that will differ here from the other students.

/Daniel

In reply to Will H

by Michelle Moore -
If you are using version 1.9, you could assign that individual student to a group of her own, then select the option to only make the forum visible to members of the group. (If you have other groups set up for the course, then you would need to create her group as part of a grouping though.) Then, she would be able to see and post to the forum and the forum would be invisible to every other student.

When you were ready for everyone else to see the forum, you could just change the group option or move everyone else into her group.

If you need more information, let us know.

In reply to Michelle Moore

by Will H -
Michelle, what you suggest sounds perfect. I'm not sure how to go about it, though.

I'm using version 1.9 and already have the students divided into two groups (one for harder spellings and one for easier spellings) but I haven't really used the groups yet beyond putting the students into them.

I might need walking through the process. As I understand it, a grouping contains one or more groups, and an activity can be allocated to a grouping but not a group. Is that right?
In reply to Will H

by Michelle Moore -
You are right that a grouping is a collection of groups--the nice thing about groupings is that it allows you to define which set of groups you want to apply to various activities. For example, for one activity I might want students in groups of 5 and so I would have a grouping defined for that. In another activity, I might want students in pairs, so I would have a separate grouping for that.

You are also right that a grouping can be allocated to an activity, but a group cannot. What I've found though is that if you have no other groups in the course and you want to do what we're going to do here, that you can do it without groupings. Short story--you have other groups, so we'll use groupings. smile

Before I begin to explain the process, please know that Groupings are still experimental. I have been using them with quite a bit of success but have seen some occasional odd behaviors here and there--I think in my case though it is because I have so many different groups and groupings set up. I think in your case, you shouldn't have any problems.

So, first step--make sure you have groupings turned on at the site level. If you can see Groupings as a tab on your Groups page, then you're okay. If not, you or your Moodle administrator will need to go to the Site Administration menu > Miscellaneous > Experimental and then Enable groupings.

Back inside your course, we are going to create a grouping with one group for the purposes of your special forum.

1) Create a group--name it "special forum" or something like that to help you remember the purpose of this group. Remember that students will see the group name though, so be careful what you use.
2) Assign the one girl to that group.
3) Then, create a grouping by clicking on the Groupings tab from the Groups page in your course. You'll find a button there to create a grouping. Again, name it in such a way to help you recall it's purpose.
4) Assign the group you've just created to the grouping. To do so, click on the icon that looks like a group of people to the far right of the page next to the grouping you've just created. Move the group with the one girl into the grouping.

Now that your grouping is created, we are going to apply that grouping to the forum activity you wish to have hidden.
1) First, undo any of the special role changes and role assignments you'd set up previously to try to make this work--for example, I think you had assigned her as a non-editing teacher--undo that. smile
2) Go into the forum settings and near the bottom of the page in the Common module settings section, click the Show Advanced button. In this section, you'll find an option to select the Group mode--in mine, Ihave Separate groups, but on reflection, since there is only one group in the grouping, No groups should work just fine.
3) For Grouping, select the special grouping you've created for this forum.
4) And, then, this is key if you don't want the other students to see the forum--check the box that says "Available for group members only." Since the one girl is in the group/grouping, she will see and be able to use this forum and the other students will not.

When you are ready for the other students to see the forum you can either change the forum to not use a grouping and uncheck the visibility option OR you can add everyone else to the group.

Before you deploy, I recommend testing--log in as the girl and then log in as another student and see how things work--or find some trustworthy students to log in and watch to see what happens. Again, it's worked fine for me, but . . .

Moving forward in the course, I'm not sure right off of the impact of having your spelling groups not included in a grouping--I don't think I've used that combination. You may want to test that out too and/or consider putting those into a grouping of their own and applying that grouping where appropriate.

I hope that helps--if you need more detail or run into problems, just shout. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Will H -
Michelle,

Thank you so much for those very detailed instructions. The procedure you described worked perfectly.

I've logged in as the girl in question, and as some other pupils, and the visibility is just as I wanted it: She can see and enter the forum while nobody else is even aware of its existence.

I wanted to rate your post but wasn't sure of the polarity of the drop-down menu. On my screen, the stars on the left are filled but smaller (they're the asterisk character) while the stars on the right are hollow but larger. Bit confusing, and I didn't want to give your post a rock-bottom rating, so I've left it for now.
In reply to Will H

by John Isner -
Will,
Stars/asterisks are a browser issue that is affecting others. See this post in a parallel discussion.