course creator role

course creator role

by andrew singleton -
Number of replies: 7
a course creator has developed a course with a forum available however cant add his won topics for the students to reply to , any suggestions as to what might be causing this to occur?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to andrew singleton

Re: course creator role

by John White -
Andrew,

Oddly, even bizarrely, there appear to be 3 forum capabilities a Teacher (editingteacher) has, that a Course Creator doesn't,
and these have to do with the News Forum!

I suggest you try making your CC a Teacher as well on his/her own course!

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by Ray Lawrence -
John,

I just checked this on a site with unmodified roles for Course Creator and Teacher. Course Creators have all Forum capabilities set to "Not set", Teachers have all but one set to "Allow".

This is not bizarre as the CC role has little relevance to course activities. If the site settings have not been altered CCs are automatically assigned as a Teacher in any course they create.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by John White -
Quite right, Ray. My mistake. blush

I've just checked a second site and I must have modified the Course Creator role on the first site myself, some time back.
And I had left the oddity I referred to, in a role I no longer used on that site - which is only a test bed site!

So the point made on doubling up the Course Creator role with the Teacher role is pretty well essential,
and probably already occurs on Andrew's site, otherwise the CC would do next to nothing.

But if you link this with the comment I made the issue in General Problems (my 'too heavy' comment) you weren't keen on,
you see I believe its easy to make too many changes too quickly, and then not be able to trace the source of the problem back to its origins.

John
In reply to John White

by Ray Lawrence -
I'm not sure that I understand your doubling up comment as there should be no need to do this if the site defaults are used.

Yes, I agree that making too many changes to roles too quickly can result in hard to trace issues arising. The localised nature of overrides overcomes this quite nicely.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by John White -
'doubling up'...

We're saying the same thing with different words...

So long as
Creators' role in new courses is set to Teacher in
Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies

...the course creator becomes a Teacher on their own course
...and you see the user with two roles in the course Assign Roles page.

Now that I have reset that offending CC role back to defaults I see the only role assignment capability 'he' has, by default, (and without the Teacher role overlaid) is to un-assign his own role.

JW
In reply to John White

by Ray Lawrence -
...and you see the user with two roles in the course Assign Roles page.

I'm not seeing that on a clean install where the person is assigned to CC at System level.

Assign roles to users
In reply to andrew singleton

by Ray Lawrence -
Have you changed the "Creators' role in new courses" setting in user policies to something other than Teacher?