How to resubmit a graded assignment

How to resubmit a graded assignment

by M Rudolf -
Number of replies: 8
After a student submits an assignment for grading, if it happens to require revision, how can the student resubmit the revision? Right now, our system shows the message 'already submitted for marking'. Is there a way around this?

In reply to M Rudolf

Re: How to resubmit a graded assignment

by Art Lader -
Hi,

Well, since no one else has responded yet...There is probably a better way, but if you have access to the database, you can probably do it there. I am just guessing where you would do it in the attached screen capture.

Anyone else want to jump in here?

-- Art
Attachment 6-28-2008_8-32-02_AM.gif
In reply to M Rudolf

by David Wong -
M,

You didn't say what type of assignment, i.e., online text, upload single file, advanced uploading of files.

In version 1.9, if you've graded it, remove the grade for the assignment for the student and select the X next to the attached assignment. This returns the assignment to the student as a draft so he/she can resubmit it provided you've not restricted resubmissions.

In reply to David Wong

by Dan Jeffries -
Further to this, is there any way to store or keep a record of an initial submission date?

We use alot of resubmissions but it's important that we can see when it was first submitted. The resubmission tends to wipe this out, and it looks as though the student submitted it late.

Any work arounds?
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Dan
Attached is a screenshot of an Advanced assignment type in Moodle 1.9 showing the 'Revert to draft' button when viewing the grade assignment screen.

If you use the advanced assignment you could provide the opportunity for the student to submit up to 20 documents (several drafts...).

When a file is deleted (by yourself or the student) it is removed from the system however a log entry will advise when a file was uploaded, it will have 'Assignment upload' in the Action column.

Check out the Moodle docs for this here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Advanced_uploading_of_files_assignment

Cheers
Teresa
Attachment assgt-grading.jpg
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Teresa - thanks for your reply smile

We've used this before but found it complicated, for both staff and students.

It makes sense when we want to submit MP3s, but as we work with Online Text, it's not so useful.

It's really the Online Text work that gets resubmitted a lot, and when a student edits or adds to the work, the original submission date is not retained and hence the work appears late.

This is the ONE issue that my tutors have with Moodle - otherwise we 100% love it. :D

Dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Katerina Nemcova -

Hi,

A few years on now but has anyone found a solution to the resubmitting assignments issue? We use Moodle 1.9 (still but upgrading soon) - the 'Upload a file' assignment type and have students resubmitting their work if they failed the first attempt. The problem is that when they resubmit, it deletes the original file they had submitted, and also the original mark given (unless teacher manually types it into the feedbakc window when regrading).

Is there a way for these types of assignments you can keep the original file and mark on the system (like you can with Quizzes)?

Many thnaks

Katerina

In reply to Katerina Nemcova

by Vicki Dunnam -

If you check "send for marking" to yes and I set mine to 3 files, then the original files stays and the original marked file stays as well. 

In reply to Vicki Dunnam

by Katerina Nemcova -

Hi Vicky,

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work. Setting 'Maximum number of uploaded files' to 3 means that students can upload/send for marking up to 3 different files.

What we need is that when students fail and re-submit their assignments,  the original files and initial mark given stays on the system i.e. in their gradebook. Currently, when handling resubmissions, teachers have to revert the orignal submitted files back to drafts, which allows students to resubmit their work but the only way they can do that is by deleting their original files. Once teachers re-grade the resubmission, the original (failed) grade is replaced with the new one.

Surely there must be a way to keep the original grades/files logged on the system??

Thanks

Katerina