Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Project Format & Sharing Cart

Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Project Format & Sharing Cart

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 134
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a proposal that our collaborative teaching team has begun development on. Comments, advice and suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Problem: It is difficult for our teachers to share projects and media or move projects between courses. By projects we mean a topic/section which includes a mix of resources and activities. Our teachers want to share projects, not courses and not individual resources or activities. "Import" is a great tool, but we need something more simplified to encourage teacher-sharing, and we need something that shares these collections of resources/activities in a topic. Generally, the backup/restore procedure collates course items into activity types which then breaks up the topic/project. Furthermore, we have difficulties handling media files, and want to keep them associated with the project, and move with the project.

Proposal: Create a course format in 1.9 for easy sharing, and a side block for random collecting.

1. "Project-based" Course Format
- make a new course format based on the "Topics" format.
- put more structure into each topic/project box. In addition to a free-form HTML label area, we would add a fixed "project title" and two Flash uploader buttons.
- a free form HTML area would remain below the title and uploader buttons.
- one quick uploader would allow bulk upload of resources and automatically insert the icons/titles in the topic/project box on the course page.
- another quick uploader would allow bulk upload of media files (audio and video) into a project folder for later linking to quizzes/ activities
- all resource files and media files would go into a project folder, located in the Course Files area, and the folder name fixed to the fixed to the project title.
- a backup icon would backup *only* the whole project--all resources, activities inside the single topic/project. Only the specific project folder inside the course files area would be backed up with the project.
- restore would rebuild the new paths to files within the project.

2. Activity/Resource "Sharing" Cart
- this will enable rapid collecting of individual items while browsing inside a site.
- a block inside a Moodle site would be called a "Sharing Cart"
- the block would be for teachers/admins and it would follow a teacher everywhere he/she navigates around the site.
- teachers could drag interesting activities/resources from other courses into their sharing cart.
- teachers could drag-and-drop any of these selected activities/ resources into their own course to the exact location they want.
- upon insertion, the sharing cart would automatically make a backup/ restore of the selected activity (without user data) into the new location

Questions: We are rather naive in attempting this, but we *have* to have easy sharing by March or our program will collapse! surprise Well actually, we have a lot of momentum in collaborative teaching and want to accelerate it. So I don't really know what questions to ask, and hope to hear some warnings and suggestions. Gordon Bateson has already given us some encouraging advice, and we are wondering about:
  • any issues with a project folder with a title fixed to the project title?
  • is it better to use Flash, Ajax or stick with a simpler XHTML?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Project Format & Sharing Cart

by Don Hinkelman -
The first release of the Project Course format is available here:
http://englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/downloads/projectformat/
The notes from the README file are as follows:

=========================================
Project Course Format 1.9 -- Release 1 - 2008.06.01
=========================================

Purpose
This is an optional course format. It changes the layout and operations of the main center column of a Moodle course. Inside a course, you can select the format of a course by clicking on Admin >> Course Settings. Typically, Topics format or Weekly format is used. This format is like Topics format, except that each section of a course can be "packaged" separately. It has a separate directory and it can be backed up separately with all resources and activities together. The import function allows a teacher to share and move the section (project) anywhere on the site. Fast resource creation and bulk media file upload are also possible. Tested only on Moodle vers. 1.9.

Features
- section directory
- section backup
- section import across site with auto-regeneration of media file links
- quick resource creator
- bulk media file uploader

Status
This course format has been used since early April 2008 in a full 1.9 production environment. However, we urge you use this on a development server until you can verify it works well with you your data.

Installation (admin status and experience installing contributed modules needed)
  1. Unzip this package
  2. Place the "project" folder into the course/format/ folder of your Moodle 1.9 program files
  3. Go into a course where you have teacher or admin status. Click on "Course settings".
  4. Change the course format to "project".
  5. Turn "editing on" and you will see new icons appear.
Bugs
Please report bugs to Don Hinkelman, hinkel at sgu.ac.jp
If you find it also works on Moodle vers. 1.8, please let us know.

Known Issues
- Converting from a topic-format course will require some manual correction of links
- It is best to have a unique directory name for each section (acrose a course), this is not always enforced strictly.
- Backup and import icons confusing to teachers.
- Easy to upload large numbers of files, no easy way to delete them. Be careful! smile

Acknowledgements
Design team: Don Hinkelman and Andy Johnson
Programming: Akio Ohnishi, version2 software
Funding: Sapporo Gakuin University, Japan

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice idea: section backup and section restore.

• Backup works strait forward, only: a question which modules are supported? (I tried to add a book with a picture, but could not find the picture in the backup.zip)
  • When I try to use Import, I get locked in a loop: after giving a name for the new section, and choose import, I endup on the give a name page again..
  • Some teachers wish to copy a section several times in the same course, buit import does not support re-import (unless you first copy to another course and then copy back..)
  • What is the leading idea behind this course format? (Are the language files available to explain?)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Ger,

Thanks for testing this out so quickly. If you see promise in this format and want to use it, send us your wish list, as we will be upgrading it shortly. Some replies to your comments:

... which modules are supported? (I tried to add a book with a picture, but could not find the picture in the backup.zip)
We believe all standard modules are supported. In addition, we asked for a handful of 3rd party modules that we use: project, split screen, and feedback. I think that’s it. We just did a test with a “book” resource with a picture and it worked fine. The picture imported into the new folder. PLUS, we did this test within the same course. I’ve done project imports within the same test numerous times and it works fine.

* When I try to use Import, I get locked in a loop: after giving a name for the new section, and choose import, I endup on the give a name page again..
Actually, you need not give it name before import. After import, you should be prompted to give it a new name. Were you locked into a loop more than once? I think we simply need to have a the program check to see if the user has already renamed the directory.

* Some teachers wish to copy a section several times in the same course, buit import does not support re-import (unless you first copy to another course and then copy back..)
See above. We haven’t experienced this problem.

* What is the leading idea behind this course format? (Are the language files available to explain?)
Here below are some help files which may not have been installed. The purpose of this format is to reuse "Units of Learning" or "Projects" which are shared by many teachers and modified for many levels of students. At present, we only use this for foreign language teaching. The quizzes are full of video, audio and image files. So we have had enormous problems sharing then, redoing links, and keeping permissions OK. This approach duplicates a lot of files but that is no problem given that we have our own server with sufficient hard disk size.

1. English Help file "format/project/resourceupload.html":
Quick Resource Upload
This is a quick way to upload a resource file into a section of a course. It will automatically name the resource with the same name as the original file. It can also be used to bulk upload an unlimited number of resources. This can save numerous steps and encourage teachers to take the time to publish their documents, handouts, and lesson files. However, be careful when selecting what to upload, because bulk upload is so easy, but there is no bulk delete or undo function. Each new resource must be deleted one-by-one. Any resource created by this method can be edited in the normal way.

2. English Help file "format/project/cousefileupload.html"
Quick Course File Upload
This is a quick way to upload a batch of media files (audio, video, image, etc.) for any activity in your section/project. For example, if you want to create a quiz with many images and sound files, use this to locate, select, and upload those files. Click on the link, "Quick Course File Upload", and then select the files anywhere on your hard disk. Click "Select" and these files will be instantly uploaded into the Course Files area of your course administration. When you do a backup or import into another course, these files will be included. After moving, a new path to these files will be built in each activity that has links to these files.

3. English Help file "format/project/sectionbackuprestore.html"
Section Backup and Import
The first icon in this pair of icons (on the left) is for section backup. It will backup all the activities, resources and associated course files into one package. It does not backup any user data or user files. This is useful if you want to send or exchange a zip file to another site or another teacher on a different site. The second icon (on the right) is more important. It is an import icon. First, you have to know the location of a good section/project you want to import into your course. After you have got the location in another course, you normally will go to an empty section in your destination course and click on this. When you click on this, you will have to select the original course, and then you will select one of the sections of that course.

4. Help file "format/project/directoryname.html"
Section Directory Name
In the Project Course Format, each section has its own folder. The folder is kept in Admin >> FIles of each course (not the Site Files). This folder holds the media files and resources that belong to the section (project/topic/theme). Initially, each section folder is named "section01"," section02"," section03" and so on. However, for moving and importing across the site, it is important that each folder have a unique name. You will be prompted to make a unique name.

by Ger Tielemans -

Thanks for language files!

Strange, I will test it again - and now with the help files smile

• What I like in your approach, is that resources stay together in a kind of section folder. (It helps to think in sets of learning objects..)
  • It also helps starting teachers to understand where there files are goining..
  • I wonder how difficult it is to integrate this file-mechnism in all other course formats...

missing r in reference: cousefileupload.html in format.php line 251

$button = helpbutton('format/project/coursefileupload',

by João Fernandes -
Hi Don,
here's the translation to portuguese of Portugal
One of these days I'll translate the help files and send it.
Thanks for all the japanese team work
regards
J

by David Campbell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I just downloaded and installed the sharing cart, but when I go to notifications all I get is a blank page. When I go to the add blocks with editing turned on I don't have a sharing cart showing. I am using a topic format in all of the courses. Any suggestions where I should look to solve the problem?

by Matt Gibson -
Email conversation I had with Don, reproduced here by request:

Don's reply to me after I said that the naming of the upload links was not very clear and that AJAX editing was broken

2008/6/30 Don Hinkelman <hinkel@sgu.ac.jp>:
Hi Matt,

First of all, what do you think of these naming options? I also don't like the current names so earlier I suggested these options:
- Quick Resource Creator and Quick Media File Upload or
- Upload Resources and Upload Files or
- Auto-resource creator and Quick Files Upload

In both cases we have to clearly explain what a resource is and what a file is.
a. A resource is a file visible on the Moodle center column
b. A file is anything uploaded into the Section Directory--not visible

Second, could you explain what you mean by "tooltips for rollover explanations" and how you envision AJAX working for all of this (sorry, I know almost nothing about AJAX). This will have implications for our next task, Sharing Cart.

Third, could you comment on our plans for a sharing cart. Here is our initial plan six months ago.
Activity/Resource "Sharing" Cart
- this will enable rapid collecting of individual items while browsing inside a site.
- a block inside a Moodle site would be called a "Sharing Cart"
- the block would be for teachers/admins and it would follow a teacher everywhere he/she navigates around the site.
- teachers could drag interesting activities/resources from other courses into their sharing cart.
- teachers could drag-and-drop any of these selected activities/ resources into their own course to the exact location they want.
- upon insertion, the sharing cart would automatically make a backup/ restore of the selected activity (without user data) into the new location

Fourth, could you comment on these Issues for the Project Format as listed in the Moodle Docs.
1. Converting from a topic-format course will require some manual correction of links
2. After you import a new section into your course, you will be prompted to change the name of the directory. It is best to have a unique directory name for each section (across a course), however, this is not always enforced strictly.
3. Backup and import icons may be confusing to teachers. We are searching for new icons.
4. Easy to upload large numbers of files, no easy way to delete them. Be careful!
5. When moving a resource or activity within a course (using the up/down arrow icon), the associated media files or resource file does not move into the new section directory
6. This approach to backup/import may duplicate media files many times within a site. This is not a problem for a site with its own server and sufficient hard disk capacity. However, for limited capacity sites (such as on a shared hosting server), this course format could cause you to reach your limit sooner than expected. Use carefully.

Any other issues? Which issues are a priority for you? Which ones can we leave for now?

Have you got plans to release it into the wild and/or make a tracker item about getting it into core?

Actually, we released it June 1st and started a topic here (we will make a tracker item too--but what should go into core? the whole thing or just pieces of it?)

As well as this direct email, could repost your comments on that developer discussion topic too?

Thanks so much,
Don

My reply:

1. Hmm.. none of the options you've suggested strike me as ideal. Using 'media' implies video/audio, whereas it could be word documents or powerpoint. 'Resource' clouds the fact that this will include uploading a file as well as adding it as a resource.

2. By tooltips, I mean hovering the mouse button over the icons and having the title of the link appear as a small pop-up. You can see this in action by hovering over the help icons near the 'new resource' and 'new activity' dropdowns. As for AJAX, I meant the drag and drop interface that comes into operation on topics format when you turn editing on. This allows you to click and drag on the move icon of a resource and place it anywhere in the course without having to use the long-winded way, as well as one(two really)-click deleting and drag and drop moving of the blocks.

3. Sounds like another great idea! I'd be keen to make sure it can work with Moodle networking as it would allow institutions to share resources easily. I've often thought about this, but copyright is a big issue. Have you thought of having some sort of copyright tagging so that I could allow people into my course but they can only copy stuff that I have created, not the commercial resources that I cannot re-distribute? It might require a core hack.

1. Haven't tried this much yet. What sort of links?
2. no direct experience yet, but it sounds like a small checking routine could fix this
3. Tooltips could help a lot here to clarify what the icons mean
4. If you could get the AJAX features enabled, resources can be deleted very fast
5. Not tried that yet
6. Assuming that the files are not needed long-term, could they be marked as temporary and cleaned up using a cron job?

AOB/priorities:

AJAX editing would be priority 1 for me. Its become hard to live without, so I'm keen to get it back.

Reposting:

Absolutely!

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi again, Matt,

Maybe the naming of the functions should focus on visible/not visible upload of files. "File Upload-visible" and "File Upload-not visible" These terms still don't clarify it well.

3. Sounds like another great idea! I'd be keen to make sure it can work with Moodle networking as it would allow institutions to share resources easily. I've often thought about this, but copyright is a big issue. Have you thought of having some sort of copyright tagging so that I could allow people into my course but they can only copy stuff that I have created, not the commercial resources that I cannot re-distribute? It might require a core hack.

I think yes, we have to consider what you are suggesting...
1. Copyright Tagging: if you attempt to drag something into your cart, some copyright icon would appear to indicate it was protected. How would this tag work? I think it would have to be a checkbox that only an author can make, not changable by any admin or teacher. Any ideas? Has no one implemented this? My guess is that it will be part of the new IMS common cartridge specification.

2. Moodle Network: have you used this? We have several friendly universities who would like to share with us. How would a wandering block/cart span multiple sites?

Both of these will be beyond the first version of the Sharing Cart, but possible within a year if the programming costs are not too high.

Does anyone else have a priority for development of the Project Format and Sharing Cart?

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Don,

I think you're right about the author tagging, but it occurred to me that maybe the institution will have copyright licences for some of your content and not other parts. Maybe a larger system, maybe as part of the tagging/repository code would be needed so that different licences can be tagged. I've not used Moodle networking yet, mostly because there is nothing like the sharing cart to make it useful in terms of resources. I did think though - could the cart be two way, as in One school could have a course that many schools could put stuff into so that they can all share?

I've added the AJAX editing fix you sent me last night to a couple of my own to leave a slightly updated version, attached here.

Issues fixed:
  • AJAX editing now works when its enabled
  • Upload links are now labelled 'Upload file(s) and display them here' and 'Upload file(s) without displaying them yet' - still not ideal, but just a personal preference.
  • All links/icons have tooltips to elaborate on the imperfect titles
  • The divs containing those links will no longer overlap each other on smaller screens, whilst using long titles
  • Help files for backup/restore and directory name were the wrong way around
  • The directory naming help button was missing
This looks like being the best thing I've added to Moodle that I can remember!
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Don Hinkelman -
Thanks very much, Matt, for these fixes! I have added an updated README file, labeled this "projectformat-1.9-build20080703.zip, and uploaded it to the download directory: http://englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/downloads/projectformat/. I also fixed the misspelling of "couse" in line 254 of format.php that Ger noted.

by Matt Gibson -
I just altered a topics format course to project format and it seemed to work well. However, I got his message:

New directory name set.
Assignment did not rename. please rename manually

Is it supposed to try to rename the assignments (there are three in that section)?

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Matt,
"Assignment did not rename. please rename manually"
What this means is that the project format does not automatically reconfigure links for the assignment module--presently it only does for Quiz, Feedback, Project, Book, Resource, I believe. Did you have media links in these three assignments? If not, it is a general warning message. If you did, then you need to manually copy the media files into your section directory and then remake the links to them. Maybe we should redo this warning message to say, "Links in your Assignment activities were not renamed. Please rename them manually."
Thanks for the report!
Don
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Margaret Richards -
Hi Matt - I have a question with regards to a long message you posted in June that included this text:

2. By tooltips, I mean hovering the mouse button over the icons and having the title of the link appear as a small pop-up. You can see this in action by hovering over the help icons near the 'new resource' and 'new activity' dropdowns. As for AJAX, I meant the drag and drop interface that comes into operation on topics format when you turn editing on. This allows you to click and drag on the move icon of a resource and place it anywhere in the course without having to use the long-winded way, as well as one(two really)-click deleting and drag and drop moving of the blocks.

That drag and drop interface for moving activities and resources, how do I get that? I'm trying to understand what Ajax is but to no avail and your is the only reference I can find to what I'm looking for. (I'm using Topics format)

Thanks,
Margaret
In reply to Margaret Richards

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Margaret,

you need to enable AJAX under admin block->miscellaneous->experimental->enable AJAX, which can only be done as site admin from the front page admin block. Then, when you turn editing on, you should be able to click and drag in the top of the blocks to move them.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Matt Gibson -
n.b. this won't work on the front page blocks, only the ones in your courses.

Sharing Cart Requirements

by Don Hinkelman -
Yesterday, Akio, Andy and I pulled together requirements/limitations for the Sharing Cart-Phase 1. Thanks to Matt for many helpful comments.

Schedule: Begin after WorldCALL (August 9), complete prototype by September 10, complete all by September 20. Production use from October 1.

Requirements for Phase 1:
1. Inside one site (in a later phase we will make it span several sites via Moodle Network). For Editing Teachers, Course Creators and Admins.
2. Interface: either a floating box or a collapsible/adjustable left sidebar (similar to the Windows OS folder system). Akio will research which way is possible.
3. Operation: Using AJAX, a teacher will drag an item into the Sharing Cart. At that point, unseen to the user, a Backup of the item will be made without user data and that backup will be stored in a User folder. When the item is dragged onto a destination location using AJAX, the backup will be restored unseen to the user and placed in that location.
4. Limited Activities/Resources/Blocks supported
- all standard modules if possible
- contributed modules (test it on Feedback, Project, Split Screen, Book)
- HTML Blocks
5. Course Format: only for the Project Format at present (Topic and Weekly format might work, but we will work on that later)
6. Delete function: an "X" icon or check box next to each item in the sharing cart
7. Disk Full Indicator: An indicator showing the hard disk capacity and current status
8. Folders and Tabs to organize activities in the cart.
9. Help icons and Tooltips (Andy/Don-English, Akio-Japanese)
10. Turn on/off sharing cart: some basic setting for the user to turn it on or off (maybe custom Profile field?)

Future plans
1. Browse and share across sites, across universities using Moodle Network
2. Copyright tagging/locking: to prevent sharing of commercial content or where an author chooses not to share
3. Sharing cart dedicated server
4. Public repository with metadata, contribution incentives, downloads based on contributions

Regards, Don smile

Re: Sharing Cart Requirements

by Don Hinkelman -
The beta version of the Sharing Cart is on schedule to be open for viewing on Wednesday, September 10th. Let me know by email if you would like to beta test and help affect the development of this tool. Cheers, Don smile

by Sasikala P A -
Picture of Translators
Don,
Please let me know when I can beta test the sharing cart?

regards
Sasikala
In reply to Sasikala P A

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Sasikala,
Thank you for offering to test the sharing cart block. It requires the Project Course Format to work, so to start, you can install that and see how it works. Then email me and I will send the sharing cart code to you via return mail.
Regards,
Don

Sharing Cart 1.9 - Release 3

by Don Hinkelman -
Thank you everyone for all the bug reports and interest in the Sharing Cart. We have uploaded version 1.9 release 3 into CVS (not available yet elsewhere). Features include:
  • easy duplication (cloning) of single activities/resources
  • roaming block follows you (teacher or admin) across all courses in a site
  • move course to course and place cloned items anywhere in center column
  • moves all standard Moodle activities and resources
  • moves many third party Moodle activities and resources (please report your issues)
  • compatible with Weekly, Topic and Project course formats
  • AJAX compatible
  • several bug fixes on March 16, 2009
See:
Moodle Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-907
Moodle Docs: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Sharing_Cart
Modules and Plugins database: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2150
CVS Download: http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/blocks/sharing_cart.zip

Re: Sharing Cart 1.9 - Release 3

by Mark Pearson -
Don,
I downloaded the CVS code today and tried it with my Catalyst - TinyMCE version of 1.9.4+ moodle. Same result as before -- reported in http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1090

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Mark Pearson -
Don,

Just to report that the problem I reported in CONTRIB-1090 was my fault. Yes, I'll come clean! I'm working on a new unfamiliar system (FreeBSD 7 with Jails) and I assumed that it had the zip executable installed which it did not. Hence the failure with the zip error (which I initially thought was a permissions thing). I have tried again with the CVS code and the block is working great with the Catalyst-TinyMCE Moodle. I concur with others that this will be a major deal for my users. I do hope that some version of Sharing cart will be included in Moodle 2.0 but I really think you need a flashier name. How about "Course Trolley" -- then you could have exclamations such as "drop this off your trolley?" or after an item is deleted, "I'm off me trolley!" smile smile We need more humour in Moodle!!!

M
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Joshua Westerway -

Hi,

This block is great on our test site. Just have a thought, all teachers on our site are enrolled in a new role to allow them to view all courses but not participate in the activities or edit the content, this is the core of my problem.

Can we get the sharing cart icon to copy resources and activities without editing turned on? Maybe make it a role permission? sharingcart:allow? This can be set for teachers in the view-all role I have to enable teachers to share between each other without the need to let them turn editing on (and possibly cause problems in courses for others)

As is the block is great but is only useful (in our site) for the course teacher to copy items between their own courses not for others to copy.

Thoughts?

-Josh

In reply to Joshua Westerway

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Joshua,

Thank you for the suggestion to make Sharing Cart work without "Turn editing on". I see your situation for your teachers. If we make the block, so admins are required to make a special role, I wonder if fewer sites will try it. What do you think? If you want a special version of Sharing Cart programmed for you, I think Version2 can do it reasonably. If interested, please contact me by email.

Thanks,
Don

by Enrique Robredo -
Thanks, good job.

This is the Spanish es_utf8 file translation.
  • block_sharing_cart.php
  • sharing_cart.html
In reply to Enrique Robredo

Re: Sharing Cart 1.9 - Spanish Translation

by Don Hinkelman -
Very much appreciated, Enrique! Will include it in the next release. Other language translations are also welcomed.

by KT Fav -

I am using Moodle 1.9.1+. I have downloaded the latest version of Sharing Cart. I have installed it and gone to Notifications. I have added the block to two courses within the same site. The icons do not appear in the main section so that I may add content to the Sharing Cart. I have uninstalled and reinstalled for a second attempt.

Thanks for your help.

by Dale Davies -
Hi Don, thanks for letting me know you had a new version of this plugin available. I have not exactly been able to test the new version extensively so far, but it seems like almost all the problems I experienced previously have been resolved.

for now there is one thing that still confuses me, when I go to delete an item from the sharing cart, I still get a message to say "An error occurred while deleting shared item".

Not sure if this will help but here is the query string for that page...

"www.myserver.com/blocks/sharing_cart/delete.php?id=1&return=%2Fcourse%2Fview.php%3Fid%3D560%26edit%3D1%26sesskey%3DIAv9nixl8e"

Other than that, seems to be working fine smile

Many thanks.

by Matt Gibson -
This has quickly turned into an essential feature for us as it's allowing activities like feedbacks to be quickly archived by copying to the sharing cart, renaming and hiding the old one, which still has student data, then copying back ready for a fresh start.

I've set it as a sticky block top right on all course pages and the teachers love it!

Thanks for a cool Block, Don smile
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Sharing Cart release 4

by Don Hinkelman -
You are very welcome, Matt!

Any problems sharing quiz questions? We need some testing on that question. You may need to create and new Role and put questions into the System category. See Sharing Cart Roles in Moodle Docs http://docs.moodle.org/en/Sharing_Cart

Release 4 on April 14th in CVS: http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/blocks/sharing_cart.zip

Re: Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Sharing Cart release 4

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Don,

I just got this error when I went to upgrade:

Warning: array_combine() [function.array-combine]: Both parameters should have at least 1 element in E:\Website Files\moodle\blocks\sharing_cart\settings.php on line 14

There was a bit with 'new settings', but it was blank. I couldn't make much sense of the code and had to comment that part of settings.php to get the install to finish.

I'll have a poke about with quiz questions when I get a chance.

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
First ! thank you for this beautiful block smile very very useful one.

now, since we use and hebrew right-to-left website with mysql and a unicode encoding
i had to issue to sql commands for this block to function correctly (after it was installed successfully without any problems) because i was getting "????????" as titles of the resources
i was coping from my current course to the current block.
( was functioning ok but not readable )
so...

1. update the table's COLLATE to utf_unicode_ci

ALTER TABLE `mdl_sharing_cart` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci

2. update each field COLLATE

TABLE `mdl_sharing_cart` CHANGE `name` `name` VARCHAR( 32 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL ,
CHANGE `icon` `icon` VARCHAR( 32 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL ,
CHANGE `text` `text` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL ,
CHANGE `file` `file` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL ,
CHANGE `tree` `tree` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL

maybe you can add these setting to the original install db file. i think every one would benefit from this. since not every one know how to handle databases and sql queries smile and unicode is probably the best COLLATE option for every one.
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
hebrew translation for this block
please create a new folder under lang with the name he_utf8
and place this attached file in it (remove the .txt extension!)

enjoy smile

by Mark Pearson -
Nadav,

Your point is a good one and applies to other non-western languages as well such as Arabic, Japanese and Chinese, all of which we use as well as occasional Hebrew.

I have several Moodle test instances each with it's own database. When I create the database I always use the following SQL:

CREATE DATABASE name DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci;

but I noticed that the sharing cart module was not alone in allocating the collation 'utf8_general_ci' to the type varchar. For example, mdl_assignment: name , description, assignmenttype all have collation 'utf8_general_ci'. And I was not able to find a single example of a varchar or text type of field that did not have 'utf8_general_ci' as it's collation. Thus it seems that Sharing Cart is merely using some standard means to generate it's database table, fields and collation.

What I don't understand is this. Why does the Sharing Cart block need the collation utf8_unicode_ci to display Hebrew if none of the other modules or blocks need that collation to display Hebrew (assuming that this is indeed the case)? OTOH, if indeed you have had to change all occurences of 'utf8_general_ci' to 'utf8_unicode_ci' in order to display any Hebrew then this ought to be counted as a major change item for moodle 2.0 in the Tracker.

Cheers,

Mark

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Don Hinkelman -
Dear Nadav and Mark,

Thank you very much for your comments and the Hebrew translation. Sorry I do not understand the database problem--currently the Sharing Cart works with Japanese. Do we have to reprogram it so it can work with Hebrew? Is this a core change needed as Mark suggests?

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
oups, i think the database encoding is our isolated issue. since (somebody) created our DB with the wrong collate encoding : latin1_swedish_cl and although we ( i ) changed it later it still picks up the original one when we add new plugins.
so i thought it might be safe to add this to the db install scripts.

utf8_general_ci is just fine (no need to use utf8_unicode_ci )
so if you are already using either one you are just fine smile

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
i am using moodle 1.9.2 (yes i know i know) and the lib files are missing some important functions if compared to version 1.9.4 so...
if you would like to copy (duplicate) a quiz from one course to the SAME course you will have to make sure you have the following function inside the following files:
(i got them from moodle 1.9.4 files)

lib/moodlelib.php ( add the following function at the end of the file)

/**
* @return string $CFG->siteidentifier, first making sure it is properly initialised.
*/
function get_site_identifier() {
global $CFG;
// Check to see if it is missing. If so, initialise it.
if (empty($CFG->siteidentifier)) {
set_config('siteidentifier', random_string(32) . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
}
// Return it.
return $CFG->siteidentifier;
}

backup/lib.php (add the following function after upgrade_backup_data() function lines 437~)

/**
* Are we restoring a backup that was made on the same site that we are restoring to?
* This relies on some information that was only added to backup files in January 2009.
* For older backup files, fall back to guessing based on wwwroot. MDL-16614 explains
* when this guess could give the wrong answer.
* @return boolean true if the backup was made on the same site we are restoring to.
*/
function backup_is_same_site(&$restore) {
global $CFG;
static $hashedsiteid = null;
if (is_null($hashedsiteid)) {
$hashedsiteid = md5(get_site_identifier());
}
if (!empty($restore->original_siteidentifier)) {
return $restore->original_siteidentifier == $hashedsiteid;
} else {
return $restore->original_wwwroot == $CFG->wwwroot;
}
}

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
i am getting (as admin) those following Notice since i have no plugins and no Plugins directory.
is this ok ? are there any plugins i am missing ?

Notice
: Undefined property: stdClass::$sharing_cart_plugins in /home/tikshuvp/public_html/moodle/blocks/sharing_cart/plugins.php on line 120

by Jesús Martín -
I have the same problem.
Moodle 1.9.5+

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$sharing_cart_plugins in /var/www/moodle/blocks/sharing_cart/plugins.php on line 120

Thanks.
In reply to Jesús Martín

by David Kelly -

We too have the same problem.  We are using Moodle 1.9.5 on  Windows IIS server with an Oracle database.  PHP is version 5.2.6.

This block sounds very useful, so we would appreciate any suggestions that we can get for making it work.

Thanks.

by Dale Davies -
The new version seems a lot more stable, I can now delete items from the cart! This block has had a lot of use by our teachers, I think its probably their favourite plugin.

Ive noticed a couple of bugs in the new version however, nothing really bad but I thought I'd point em out.

It seems that the settings page does not show up, I've noticed that the cart has...

function has_config() {
return true;
}

But there doesn't seem to be any html files for this. Maybe there is not supposed to be, but every time I go to the Notifications page now I get a message telling me to update new settings, but there is just an empty box.

by Ron Castle -

I just installed the sharing_cart v20090623 to my Moodle 1.9.5+ site and it does not seem to be registering properly.  When I go to the notifications page I only see the following message in the header:

Block sharing_cart: block_sharing_cart not implemented

Is there somethin I've got mis-configured to use this module or that I can do to try and get this operational.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

In reply to Ron Castle

by arfan arfan -
I use sharing_cart v20090623 to my moodle 19.4+ and everything looks smooth.

But i am very dissapointed when i check moodledata folder.

I see, everytime i copy resource to another course, sharing_cart will copy the physical resource to another course too. I hope they just copy url to another course.

If i edit the resource in one course, i must edit all in another course. it will be perfect if resource is independent from course.

I think it will be good if sharing_cart is folder in moodledata that teacher can share their resource n everytime the resource is edited, it will refresh to all course that use this resource.

That's all and I am sorry if myenglish language is so bad.

Best Regards,

Arfan Ariyanto
In reply to arfan arfan

by Don Hinkelman -
Dear Arfan,

Yes, everyone is having problems with Moodle's system of handling resources and multimedia files. We are hoping that version 2.0 will make a better system of file handling.

The reason we cannot just copy a resource URL is because students will not be able to read it in another course due to Moodle's permissions which allow students to only see files within their own course or site files. So we duplicate the resource via the Sharing Cart to avoid problems for students.

However, the workaround solution to allow one-spot re-editing is not so difficult.
  1. Put the resource into Site Files. Then make *Link* not *Upload a file* in your course.
  2. Make all your quiz questions in *System Categories*, and associated quiz audio/image/video files in Site Files area. Then students and teachers will be able to share far more easily.
If there are any drawbacks to these solutions, we would really like to hear about them. We are also experimenting with 'Roles' to allow student permissions across the site.

By the way, the Sharing Cart is now updated for Moodle version 1.9.5+. Please download the latest zip package from CVS here and install in your blocks folder.

As I receive hundreds of Moodle.org forum posts per day, I often miss important ones like yours. If you have an urgent bug report or problem with the Sharing Cart, please email me immediately and I will do my best to assist. Check my email in my profile or use this (hinkel at sgu.ac.jp). The latest documentation on the Sharing Cart and its global Respository is here in Moodle Docs.
In reply to Ron Castle

Problem installing sharing cart

by Zbysiu Rodak -
Hi,
I hope this is the right place to report this. I'm trying to use the sharing cart block with Moodle 1.9.5 on a Win 2K8 64 bit server running IIS7 rather than a WAMP set up, but I get the following error messages -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(mysql): CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins ( id BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', user BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, data TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY (id) )

1101: BLOB/TEXT column 'data' can't have a default value

ADOConnection._Execute(CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins (
id BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFA..., false) % line 891, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins (
plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFA...) % line 89, file: dmllib.php
execute_sql(CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins (
plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFA..., true) % line 2298, file: dmllib.php
execute_sql_arr(Array[4]) % line 635, file: ddllib.php
install_from_xmldb_file(D:\iis7\public\Sandbox/blocks/sharing_cart/db/install.xml) % line 1374, file: blocklib.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(mysql): ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1146: Table 'xxxxxx.mdl_sharing_cart_plugins' doesn't exist

ADOConnection._Execute(ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data', false) % line 891, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data') % line 89, file: dmllib.php
execute_sql(ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data', true) % line 2298, file: dmllib.php
install_from_xmldb_file(D:\iis7\public\Sandbox/blocks/sharing_cart/db/install.xml) % line 1374, file: blocklib.php

I should add that other blocks seem to have installed successfully. Thanks

by Stephen Catton -

Hi

We have a 1.95 Linux based installation. Initially Share Cart worked fine but now i am getting this error message when I try to copy from the block to a course

exception 'SharingCart_ModuleException' with message 'Insertion failure' in /home/www/html/moodle/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php:283 Stack trace: #0 /home/www/html/moodle/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php(227): SharingCart_Restore->restoreSection() #1 /home/www/html/moodle/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php(119): SharingCart_Restore->parseXml() #2 /home/www/html/moodle/blocks/sharing_cart/restore.php(44): SharingCart_Restore->execute() #3 {main}

Any ideas?

Cheers

Stephen

In reply to Stephen Catton

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Stephan,

Moodle 1.9.5 made significant changes so we have had to update the Sharing Cart.

Please download today's release 8--20090918 version from CVS and let me know directly how it is working for you.

Thanks,
Don (hinkel at sgu.ac.jp)

by Zbysiu Rodak -
I am using moodle 1.9.5 and have just downloaded the latest version of Sharing Cart as I was having problems with an older version. I get two error messages -

1101: BLOB/TEXT column 'data' can't have a default value

ADOConnection._Execute(CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins (
plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFA..., false) % line 891, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins (
plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFA...) % line 89, file: dmllib.php
execute_sql(CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins (
plugin VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFA..., true) % line 2298, file: dmllib.php

1146: Table 'fphs_vle.mdl_sharing_cart_plugins' doesn't exist

ADOConnection._Execute(ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data', false) % line 891, file: adodb.inc.php
ADOConnection.Execute(ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data') % line 89, file: dmllib.php
execute_sql(ALTER TABLE mdl_sharing_cart_plugins COMMENT='table to store sharing cart plugins data', true) % line 2298, file: dmllib.php

________________________________________________________________________________

Any ideas why this might be so?
I'm using IIS7 on a Win 2008 64bit server.

In reply to Zbysiu Rodak

by Richard Penhale -
I too am encountering the same issue that Zbysiu Rodak is experiencing in the post above. Any suggestions how to resolve this would be much appreciated.
In reply to Richard Penhale

by Guillermo Madero -

I just faced the same problem. This did it for me:

1. modify file "install.xml" (under sharing_cart/db).

find the following line:

<FIELD NAME="data" TYPE="text" NOTNULL="true" DEFAULT="" SEQUENCE="false" ENUM="false" PREVIOUS="user"/>

and delete the text that says Default='', so the line ends looking like this:

<FIELD NAME="data" TYPE="text" NOTNULL="true" SEQUENCE="false" ENUM="false" PREVIOUS="user"/>

2. drop table 'mdl_sharing_cart' (and 'mdl_sharing_cart', though it should not exist).

3. do the 'administration > notifications' process again.

by Trevor Johnson -

Hi All

I've got a couple of questions:
Will the Sharing Cart work with Moodle2.0?
Will the Sharing Cart work with MS SQL?

Cheers

Trevor

In reply to Trevor Johnson

by deepti pulavarthi -
Does sharing cart allow a forum to be shared among courses? Or is there any other way a forum can be shared among courses???

Thanks!
Deepti
In reply to Trevor Johnson

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Trevor and Everyone,

Yes, the Sharing Cart will work with Moodle 2.0 (once we update it).

As you know, Moodle 2.0 has a completely new File API and Backup/Restore. We believe these will make the Sharing Cart concept easier to implement and deal with many issues of media file permissions. Our plan is start updating the Sharing Cart when 2.0 beta is released and release the new Sharing Cart about the same time as Moodle 2.0 is released, sometime in the Summer 2010. Now is the time to ask for feature requests and interface changes in the new Sharing Cart.

No, the Sharing Cart only works with MySQL, not Postgres nor MS SQL. How important is that for you? I will ask our programmers if that is a small matter, otherwise consider funding that upgrade.

Moodle HQ has no plans to include Sharing Cart functionality in Moodle 2.0 core which is nearing beta release. If you believe in the importance of cloning/duplication of activities and sharing across courses, please vote here in MDL-11288 to support its inclusion in Moodle 2.1. Also vote for the Sharing Cart CONTRIB-907 and the Project Course Format CONTRIB-906.

Note that Sharing Cart Release 12 (20100212) is now available from CVS. This corrects a small bug introduced in Release 11. The latest Project Course Format release 5 is only available from CVS. Do *not* use the englishforum download site.

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. Please send messages directly to me if possible.

Cheers,
Don (for the Sharing Cart, Project Course Format, and Repository team)

by Atsushi Kawai -
Hello,

I've made some modifications to the Sharing Cart (ver 2009040600):

Now it works with Postgresql (ver 8.4). It was relatively "a smallmatter".
The only problem on Postgresql was that 'user' cannot be used as
a field name, since it is a reserved token in Postgresql world.
It must be replaced with something else, eg. 'userid'.

Also, I have added a function to restore multiple items in the cart by
a single click. You can create a folder in the cart and put items in it.
Then you can click 'restore' button attached to the folder to restore
all items inside it.

Anyone interested in this? If so, what is the best way to distribute it?
Since the new functions are rather poorly tested only on a
single system (Moodle 1.9.4+Apache2.2.12+Ubuntu9.10),
probably I should send the modified versioni to the maintainer.
Is Mr. Don Hinkelman the right person?

Regards,
Atsushi Kawai

In reply to Atsushi Kawai

by Blair F. -
We've just installed this on our test server (Moodle 1.9.6) and I have a couple of issues, already:

1) The block does NOT stay on when I move from course to course, as it should

2) When I look at my profile, with debugging on, I get a VERY long page of "DEBUG MODE: user session variables. This sounds like something that could be related to this block.

Atsushi, is anything happening with your modifications? I like the idea of being able to restore multiple items with one click.

Thanks.
In reply to Blair F.

by Don Hinkelman -
Dear Atsushi,

Yes, Mr. Hinkelman is the right person to contact about the Sharing Cart. smile Since you are in Japan, you can also send the new code along with any comments in Japanese to Mr. Maruyama of Version2 software. He is the programmer and his email address is t-maruyama at ver2.jp

And for Mr. Blair, point 1), sorry about the confusion. I think you need to "Turn Editing On" and add the Sharing Cart block with the Add block menu. You need to turn on the Sharing Cart in every course you go to. After you have done it once, it should stay on.

In the Docs, I originally wrote: "After adding the Sharing Cart block, you will notice the block stays "on" and follows you wherever you roam courses across a site." Now I have corrected it to say, "After adding the Sharing Cart block, you will notice the block stays "on" the next time you enter that course. When you go to another course, add the Sharing Cart block to that new course. Then you can see your Sharing Cart as you roam courses across a site."

As for point 2), although there are messages in Debugging mode, I don't think these affect the operation of the Sharing Cart. Let me know if you experience any problems.

I am now testing the Sharing Cart in Moodle ver. 1.9.9+, and so far it seems to work well, although I cannot test all possible ways the Sharing Cart will be used.

Regards, Don Hinkelman

by Jason Maur -
Hi Don,

Love the plugin--works great for the teachers at my school. I just have one question:

What is the "best practice" for teachers sharing resources with other teachers?

Specifically, 2 teachers are teaching 2 different courses, and they want to share resources with each other. I'm not sure of the proper way to do this with the sharing cart. Does teacher A have to give teacher B permission to edit his or her course, so that teacher B can then enter the course, copy the resources he or she wants to the sharing cart? Is there a better way?

Thanks!

-Jason
In reply to Jason Maur

by Andreas Ebinger -

Hi Don,

same problem here. We wish to share the sharing cart between teachers so that all of them have access to the same library of contents. Any idea how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

- Andreas

In reply to Atsushi Kawai

回應: Re: Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Project Format & Sharing Cart

by Chiu Charlie -

Can anyone share the updates of using postgreSQL database?

My system uses postgre but I cannot find the my.sql file in DB directory to manually create the tables in Postgre.

Thanks

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Don,

I'm doing a bit of work to test our upgrade to Moodle 2.0.2 I was wondering if you guys have made any progress on the Project Course Format for Moodle 2.0?

Cheers,

Mike

by Mike Craddock -
The doc's mention a version 5, but the download link seems to only have up to version 3.  I must be missing something.  I love the concept!
In reply to Mike Craddock

by Don Hinkelman -

by Paullo Abreu -
Dear Don,
First of all ,thanks for this great plugin. It is a wonderful idea.
I have just installed the project course format and created a new course to experiment with it. when I try to upload a file to any of the sections, I get a message in Japanese and the file does not appear.
Can you help?
Cheers!

by Gary Blakemore -

Fanatastic plugin Don, thank you very much.

Would it be possible to allow resources uploaded by bulk to be set to "open in new window" rather than the "same window" by default.

Thanks.

In reply to Gary Blakemore

by Palmer Eldritch -
Have discovered the setting which controls window popup for the Project course format's resources. In ../project/upload.php, the line is:

$fromform->windowpopup = 0;

Changing the value to 1 makes all subsequent resources open in a new, full-size window. Now currently looking to change that!

by ben harding -
After copying the folder via FTP, I click on the notifications button and I get this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '&', expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /home/foley-belsaw/www/courses_online/blocks/sharing_cart/block_sharing_cart.php on line 121

or just a blank page if I don't have debugging on. Seems like a few others are also getting this blank page. know how to fix it?
In reply to ben harding

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late reply, you can always email me at hinkel at sgu.ac.jp.

Do you have the latest Sharing Cart? Release 12? What version of Moodle 1.9 are you using?

Cheers, Don

by tim henley -

Hi thanks for a great format option. It works just as we need. But the problem we have is the theme we are designing is throwing up some issues when we use the project layout in collapsed format.

Do you have any ideas why this should be?

In reply to tim henley

by Emily Walker -

Hi

i am still having problems installing the sharing cart block. i have taken out the extra defualt field in the install.xml but am at a loss what to do next. I am running Moodle 1.9.7

Below are my admin notifications

In reply to Emily Walker

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Emily,

Our programmer looked at your screenshot and replied with this:

"The error message "Table 'mdl_sharing_cart' already exists" means the old data didn't be uninstalled successfully. She needs to drop the 'mdl_sharing_cart' table from her database manually before installing SC.

Maybe, what Guillermo M. says is the cause of the issue, and this may depend on
the versions of the PHP/MySQL/Moodle. (I couldn't reproduce it with the latest ones.)  I will fix it in next release."

I hope this helps.   Regards,  Don

(for bugs and installation problems, please contact me directly via my profile email rather than on this forum--thanks!)

In reply to ben harding

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Ben,

I just talked with our Sharing Cart programmer and he said that the "Parse error..." problem likely means your PHP version is too old. Sorry, but the Sharing Cart requires PHP 5 or higher.

Regards, Don

(for bugs and installation problems, please contact me directly via my profile email rather than on this forum--thanks!)

Using under PostgreSQL

by Chiu Charlie -

I am currenting using  1.9.9+ (Build: 20100728), with PostgreSQL 8.33 and adding this sharing cart version: v20100308

According what I read from this forum, now should support postgre.

I installed without any error message, I can add block into a course and also see the icon for copying to sharing cart but when I did the copy nothing happened.

I checked the database the table of sharing_cart and sharing_cart_plugins are there but no entry.

So, what did I missed?  Anyone can direct to the right path will be great appreciated.

In reply to Chiu Charlie

Re: Using under PostgreSQL

by Gregory Eric Sanderson -

I've got the same problem. Specs :

- Moodle 1.9.14.1

- PHP 5.3.3

- PostgreSQL 9.0

- Sharing Cart v20100930

Any ideas why ?

In reply to Gregory Eric Sanderson

回應: Re: Using under PostgreSQL

by Chiu Charlie -

OK, I finially got the problem fo r PostgreSQL figured out.  

After 8.4, "user" becomes the reserved word in postgreSQL.  So, the insert SQL statement always get an error.

What I have done to the fix is change everything from user to userid, including the database definition.  The attached zip file is my modification and it works.  HTH.

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just to let you know - I've downloaded and installed the sharing cart block on my local test server (1.9.9) and received the following warning (at the top of the page - before the navigation bar):

Table 'moodle198.mdl_sharing_cart_plugins' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM mdl_sharing_cart_plugins WHERE plugin = 'repository' AND user = '2'
  • line 686 of lib/dmllib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 481 of lib/dmllib.php: call to get_recordset_sql()
  • line 421 of lib/dmllib.php: call to get_record_sql()
  • line 41 of blocks/sharing_cart/plugins.php: call to get_record()
  • line 85 of blocks/sharing_cart/plugins/repository.php: call to sharing_cart_plugins::get_config()
  • line 104 of blocks/sharing_cart/plugins/repository.php: call to sharing_cart_plugin_repository->__construct()
  • line 105 of blocks/sharing_cart/plugins.php: call to include()
  • line 12 of blocks/sharing_cart/block_sharing_cart.php: call to sharing_cart_plugins::load()
  • line 99 of blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_sharing_cart->init()
  • line 107 of blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->block_base()
  • line 1275 of lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->__construct()
  • line 452 of admin/index.php: call to upgrade_blocks_plugins()

There were also the following warnings during the table creation:

XMLDB has detected one CHAR NOT NULL column (plugin) with '' (empty string) as DEFAULT value. This type of columns must have one meaningful DEFAULT declared or none (NULL). XMLDB have fixed it automatically changing it to none (NULL). The process will continue ok and proper defaults will be created accordingly with each DB requirements. Please fix it in source (XML and/or upgrade script) to avoid this message to be displayed.
  • line 2265 of lib/datalib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 397 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBObject.class.php: call to xmldb_debug()
  • line 237 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBField.class.php: call to XMLDBObject->debug()
  • line 356 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBField.class.php: call to XMLDBField->setDefault()
  • line 478 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBTable.class.php: call to XMLDBField->arr2XMLDBField()
  • line 375 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBStructure.class.php: call to XMLDBTable->arr2XMLDBTable()
  • line 168 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBFile.class.php: call to XMLDBStructure->arr2XMLDBStructure()
  • line 151 of lib/xmldb/classes/XMLDBFile.class.php: call to XMLDBFile->arr2XMLDBStructure()
  • line 618 of lib/ddllib.php: call to XMLDBFile->loadXMLStructure()
  • line 1399 of lib/blocklib.php: call to install_from_xmldb_file()
  • line 452 of admin/index.php: call to upgrade_blocks_plugins()

(mysql): CREATE TABLE mdl_sharing_cart ( id BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, user BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, name VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', icon VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', text VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', time BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, file VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', tree VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', sort BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY (id) )

(I've omitted the repeated warnings).

It all looks to have installed OK, but I thought it worth mentioning these messages.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There also appears to be a small bug in the javascript, so if you are viewing a course and only showing a single topic (which isn't topic 1), then the 'restore target' does not appear in that topic.

A possible fix for this is to update the init function to this (starting at line 415 in the version I downloaded today):

if (document.getElementById("section-0")) {
// course
for (var sec_i = 0, sec = null;
sec = document.getElementById("section-" + sec_i);
sec_i++) {
insert(sec, sec_i);
}
if (sec_i == 1) {  // Section 1 missing
while (!sec) { // Find the first section that exists
sec_i++;    
sec = document.getElementById("section-" + sec_i);
}    
insert(sec, sec_i) // Insert it
}
} else {

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi All!

I'm using the Sharign Cart block with Moodle 1.9.7 and I experience this problem whenever I try to copy an object to course. I've tested this block with a fresh install of Moodle 1.9.7 and it works. So I am stumped as to the cause of the problem. Uninstalling and re-installing the block also does not work.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/vhosts/moodleace.com/httpdocs/scm/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php on line 311

exception 'SharingCart_ModuleException' with message 'Course module record insertion failure' in /var/www/vhosts/moodleace.com/httpdocs/scm/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php:323 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/vhosts/moodleace.com/httpdocs/scm/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php(259): SharingCart_Restore->restoreSection() #1 /var/www/vhosts/moodleace.com/httpdocs/scm/blocks/sharing_cart/shared/SharingCart_Restore.php(142): SharingCart_Restore->parseXml() #2 /var/www/vhosts/moodleace.com/httpdocs/scm/blocks/sharing_cart/restore.php(44): SharingCart_Restore->execute() #3 {main}

Any ideas what's wrong?

Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Asaf Ohaion -

Since I don't know where development is taking place, I've started working on porting to Moodle 2,

here is the patch

In reply to Asaf Ohaion

by ces moce -

I don t know how to install a patch , is there a moodle 2.0 version available somewhere?

In reply to Asaf Ohaion

by Colin Campbell -

Due to demand for sharing cart functionality at our institution, I took on continuing with the port to 2.0. Since our requirements are much less than what was implemented for sharing cart, I took a shortcut by stripping out the functionality that we do not need. The most significant example of a feature I removed is support for an external repository. I removed so much, in fact, that I felt compelled to change the name to avoid confusion. Also, most of the implementation is new or greatly modified.

This version is "Activity Clipboard" and is available at git@github.com:colin-umn/activityclipboard.git. It seems to basically work but could use a bit more refactoring and commenting. If you try it, I would like to hear about any issues or suggestions you have.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by david freeman -

Having the exact same issue, with the exact same exceptions. Any idea why this occurs? The module has been working fine for years and just suddenly started to exhibit this behavior. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am totally stumped at to why this is happening.

Thanks,

David Freeman

by Miguel Angelo Cabral -

Just want to know if this works with Moodle 2.0?

I've tried installing it and got this error:

In reply to Miguel Angelo Cabral

by Don Hinkelman -

Dear Colleagues--Sharing Cart Users,

Sharing Cart 2.2 release 1 is now available, replacing the previous release: Sharing Cart 2.1 beta.

This fixes a bug reported by Sam Stegers and Alexander Bias who found that after multiple items were copied into the Sharing Cart, only the first item would copy back into a course. Attempts to copy other items would only repeat a copy of the first item. This was due to internal file names not being unique. n addition, we also extend the general warning from Moodle HQ, to avoid using Legacy Files, as the Import/Backup/Restore code (which is included in the Sharing Cart) may not always give expected or reliable results.

This update is available as a download from github, and attached for your convenience.
https://github.com/VERSION2-Inc/Sharing-Cart-2

Please replace your current Sharing Cart immediately, and thank you for your time testing the beta version.  And sorry Asaf and Colin for your trouble porting the sharing cart to 2.x. I do not visit this forum, so please keep checking Moodle Docs for news on development of this block. http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Sharing_Cart

For your information, we are planning a Sharing Cart 2.3 release for the fall.  Alexander recommended we include an option for the Sharing Cart to copy user data in some cases, such as Glossaries, Wikis, Forums and Databases. If this is useful to you, or if you have other requests, please let me know in the coming months.

With best regards,
Don Hinkelman
Sapporo Gakuin University

תשובה ל: Re: Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Project Format & Sharing Cart

by elmeser elmeser -

Hi,

I am using moodle 2.2 and I have installed the new version of sharing cart (v2).

It works fine at google chrome and internet explorer. but when i am working at firefox (v12) it doesn't show the "Copy to Sharing Cart" icon which appears after each resource or activity in a course.

Can someone help with that problem ?

by Laura Brunning -

Hello,

We are using Moodle 2.2 and are experiencing problems with the Sharing Cart.  We have checked that we have the latest version installed.

We cannot get to the bottom of it as the problems are seemingly random and effect different users at different times.

We have also tried Firefox. Internet Explorer and Chrome - so don't think it's browser related.

Items seem to copy over to the Cart OK - but when it's not working - things will not copy back onto a Course.  After clicking the icon - the placement boxes don't appear on the course page to choose where to put it.  Nothing at all seems to happen.

Also, we cannot delete items we have added into the cart - when you click the delete icon - again, nothing happens (you don't get the confirmation box)

However, it is not all the time - it can work perfectly in the morning, then stop in the afternoon of the same day (but not for everyone trying to use it)

Has anyone else experienced this?  Or know of any external factors that might be causing the problem e.g. is there a limit of number of items you can copy in a day? Are the items too large? 

Although, it doesn't even work when you are trying to move a text  label or URL - so they are tiny size-wise.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

In reply to Laura Brunning

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your post. I remember having problems like you described about a year ago. I think they have been solved. Have you tried the Sharing Cart download from Github?  This is the branch for Moodle 2.2:

https://github.com/VERSION2-Inc/moodle-block_sharing_cart/tree/MOODLE_22_STABLE

And this is the latest that works with Moodle 2.3 and 2.4:

https://github.com/VERSION2-Inc/moodle-block_sharing_cart

The issue I am experiencing now that seems to be a Moodle core issue, is that when you copy quizzes that have questions in the System Category, the whole quiz bank copies with it. The workaround is to move your questions out of the System category.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me directly.

Don

by Brian Rigwald -

Hello,

My colleague and I set up a Moodle course.  We were initially going to set up one course, because she didn't feel comfortable with the new technology.  Since then, she has become quite comfortable and wishes to maintain her own course.  We create the materials together, so we have used the Sharing Cart to copy items from the initial course to hers.  We discovered, however, that the questions assigned to each Quiz (which we are often using as formative assessment assignments) are blank.  I created the roles, as stated in the Shared Cart documentation.  

It lists the questions, but the questions themselves are blank.  Do I have to move all the questions from the previous combined course's question banks to a system wide hierarchy of question banks in order for the linkage to work through the Sharing Cart?  We have students arriving on Tuesday, so we need to straighten this out ASAP.

Thank you for your time!

In reply to Brian Rigwald

by Bob Puffer -

I think you'd be better doing a backup and restore of just the quizzes or an import.  You don't mention a version of Moodle you're using but this would work for any version to get you going by Tuesday.

In reply to Bob Puffer

תשובה ל: Re: Easy Sharing Across Courses -- Project Format & Sharing Cart

by Ruthy Salomon -

Hi!

My colleagues would like the option of allowing non editing teacher role to use the sharing cart in order that they can allow all teachers to use activities based in one major repository course - but that they should not have permission to change or delete activities within that course.

If all the teachers were given the non editing teacher role in that course and they had the ability to use the sharing cart from within that course this would be possible.

Is this an option?

Thank for your answer.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Don Hinkelman -

Bob is right. Backup/Restore or Import would handle your urgent need. As for the blank questions after using the Sharing Cart, I have never had that problem. Perhaps your Sharing Cart code is outdated. You do not need to move your questions into System categories.  In fact, you will get better results if you keep your questions in Course categories.  If you keep questions in System categories, all System category questions get copied with the Question Bank.  In my tests, it is possible for a one-question quiz with a System category question to pull along a 500mb question bank. This problem is in Moodle core and it affects Backup/Restore and Import as well as Sharing Cart. Vote for MDL-41924 if this problem is important to you.

And for Ruthy's question, sorry, there are no options in the Sharing Cart to adjust permissions for non-editing teachers.  But Moodle is very flexible, and the Sharing Cart uses mostly standard core code.  You might explore making some new roles that would allow non-editing teachers to copy, backup, restore quizzes and other activities.

By the way, normally I don't see these forums in my mailbox.  But since "Using Moodle" renamed itself, my filters no longer work and I get all forum mail into my regular Inbox. However, for support of the Sharing Cart, it is best to contact me directly [hinkel at sgu.ac.jp]. We are now on our 5th year as one of Moodle's longest running contrib blocks--with over 25 releases during that period. At our university, it is the #1 timesaver and most requested plugin by teachers. Sharing Cart 2.6 should be released by the end of this March.

by Andrew Houston -

Handy plugin, its been getting a lot of use in our college.

We upgraded to 2.6, release 1 patch 1 but we are now getting an issue where we can't paste from sharing cart.

Copying to sharing carts seems to be working fine, but when we paste from sharing cart we get an error. We turned on debugging and this is what was displayed:

exception 'convert_helper_exception' with message 'error/tmp_backup_directory_not_found' in [dirroot]\backup\util\helper\convert_helper.class.php:140 Stack trace: #0 [dirroot]\backup\util\helper\backup_general_helper.class.php(291): convert_helper::detect_moodle2_format('56a63d74cfcbc6d...') #1 [dirroot]\backup\controller\restore_controller.class.php(130): backup_general_helper::detect_backup_format('56a63d74cfcbc6d...') #2 [dirroot]\blocks\sharing_cart\classes\controller.php(264): restore_controller->__construct('56a63d74cfcbc6d...', '242', false, 10, '5291', 4) #3 [dirroot]\blocks\sharing_cart\restore.php(21): sharing_cart\controller->restore(74, 242, 10) #4 {main}

More information about this error

Debug info: Error code: notlocalisederrormessage

Stack trace: •line 463 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown •line 29 of \blocks\sharing_cart\restore.php: call to print_error()

Output buffer: Notice: Constant CONTEXT_CACHE_MAX_SIZE already defined in C:\apache2\htdocs\config.php on line 29 <div class="notifytiny debuggingmessage" data-rel="debugging">Not a zip archive.: G:\moodle_data\pmoodle/temp/backup/56a63d74cfcbc6d119d4306cbdf497e8.mbz<ul style="text-align: left" data-rel="backtrace"><li>line 133 of \lib\filestorage\zip_archive.php: call to debugging()</li><li>line 278 of \lib\filestorage\zip_packer.php: call to zip_archive->open()</li><li>line 258 of \blocks\sharing_cart\classes\controller.php: call to zip_packer->extract_to_pathname()</li><li>line 21 of \blocks\sharing_cart\restore.php: call to sharing_cart\controller->restore()</li></ul></div>

Any help would be greatly appreciated

In reply to Andrew Houston

by Yvonne van Lingen -

I can report the same error with the latest updates of Moodle and Sharing Cart.

In reply to Andrew Houston

by Yvonne van Lingen -

Andrew, I've just solved this problem. There's a conflict with the new backup format.

Go to Development/ Experimental settings and uncheck the new backup format option. Sharing Cart copies made with this new format should be deleted and recreated.

Hope this helps.

Inge

In reply to Yvonne van Lingen

by Andrew Houston -

I had completely forgot I had that setting ticked.

Many thanks Inge =]

by David Dunn -

mdl 2.5.1

SC 2.6 

Successfully installed SC 2.6 from Github. However, the sharing icons do not appear in the list of icons by activities. Should I use SC 2.5?

In reply to David Dunn

by Don Hinkelman -

It may be a conflict with your theme. Change to Moodle default themes and see if that helps. Also, see the above fixes which mean you should uncheck the box using the the new backup format in 2.6.

by Melissa Benson -

Don, great module!

I just installed the latest github version, we're on 2.7. It looks to be working great for everything but I thought you were supposed to be able to put quiz questions in your cart. When I go to the question bank I don't see an icon to put them in my cart. How do I copy specific questions?

Also, how big of a quiz has everyone been able to copy into their shopping cart? How many questions in the quiz?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Melissa Benson

Moodle 2.9 Sharing Cart?

by Peter Gehbauer -

Hi, any plan (target date) to get a Moodle 2.9 version of this very useful plugin?

In reply to Melissa Benson

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Melissa,  Sorry you can only copy, move and restore quizzes, not individual questions. When you copy a quiz into the sharing cart, it will bring the whole question bank with it.  Sometimes it can be a lot of questions, if you have all your questions at the System Level category.  There is an old bug in Moodle, so if you want to fix it, go here and vote in the Tracker to fix this: MDL-41924.

And to Peter, I recommend you take the latest Sharing Cart and test it in Moodle 2.9.  It worked well in Moodle 2.8 and we believe it will work well in 2.9, but we will not upgrade our main server to 2.9 and test it until September.  But if you tell us any problems you encounter, now, we can get a head start on fixing them.

Cheers,  Don

by James Roberts -

I just tried Sharing Cart 2.8 in Moodle 2.9 and it didn't work. It installs well but when I upload a quiz, the quiz does not appear in the cart.

BTW, the sharing cart plugin is so useful that I think it should be included in the standard Moodle package. I'm going to revert to Moodle 2.8. 

In reply to James Roberts

by Don Hinkelman -

Thanks, James, for the compliments on the Sharing Cart and sorry it did not work in 2.9.  You are first person to test and report the results of the SC in Moodle 2.9.  We are in the middle of another Moodle project (video assessment module) so I can't say it will be fixed sooner than 2 months from now.  Our school upgrades in August, so that is why we lag the new releases a bit.

If you like the Sharing Cart and want it in core Moodle, here is the right place to vote and post your reasons: MDL-19721.

Also, there is an eight-year structural design bug with the Question Bank in Moodle core that makes trouble for the Sharing Cart and anyone who tries to backup/restore/import quizzes with large Question Banks.  Vote for these two: MDL-41924 and the original, unfixed MDL-12403.

by Don Hinkelman -

We have a fix for the Sharing Cart in Moodle 2.9. Change one term in the file: /blocks/sharing_cart/controller.php

In Lines 138-139, change textlib to core_text

I do not have a 2.9 server to test it, so I will wait for more confirmation that this works before committing a new version in Plugins. Emma Richardson has already confirmed it works,

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Don,

Thank you for the updated version of Sharing Cart for Moodle 2.9 and for the instruction to change textlib to core_text in line 138. The path to the file is:

/blocks/sharing_cart/classes/controller.php.

I tested Sharing Cart in a local installation of Moodle 2.9 and I am very glad that the block is now functioning in Moodle 2.9. Thanks a lot for maintaining and updating this block.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Don Hinkelman -

Just to confirm, the term, textlib, must be changed *twice* to core_text in both line 138 *and* in line 139.

I apologize to those who downloaded the plugin from Moodle.org plugins database, from June 16 to June 19, because only one of the textlib terms was changed, and therefore problems will persist until both are changed.  From today the download has been corrected.

by Peter Gehbauer -
I have the same experience with Sharing Cart in v2.90 -- hope that the upgraded version is available soon. On a temporary basis, I'm creating a section (teachers access only) as a pseudo-sharing cart that I can back-up and restore elsewhere (then dragging the required content to its destination in the other course.) Not a good solution but....

I'm using the essentials theme, tried other themes too, sharing card dysfunction does not seem to be theme-dependent.

In reply to Peter Gehbauer

by Evan Abbey -

Similar to Peter and James, I'm not having luck with my 2.9 deployment.  We use Essential, and have tried other themes as well... definitely not theme-dependent.  We also greatly appreciate your work with the module and will be eagerly anticipating your update once you get a chance in August.

And, they already have my vote adding it to the core.

by Sam Mudle -
When you copy a quiz into the sharing cart, it will bring the whole question bank with it. Sometimes it can be a lot of questions, if you have all your questions at the System Level category.

hi, If the other course has the same exact question bank, will it duplicate the questions when I do this?  How do I organize the quiz questions in a way that would prevent all 6000 other questions from being transfered every time I put a new 10 question quiz into the sharing cart?

Thanks in advance!

by Sébastien Masin -

Hello

Thanks for this great plugin. I use the Moodle 2.5 version.

When I try to put a test from one of my course (course A) to another course (course B) I have an error message.

I can copy the test in another course and I copy other tests in the course B.

I put the debug mode and I have this but I'm unable to understand it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

exception 'restore_step_exception' with message 'error/error_question_answers_missing_in_db' in [dirroot]/backup/moodle2/restore_qtype_plugin.class.php:185 Stack trace: #0 [dirroot]/backup/util/plan/restore_structure_step.class.php(131): restore_qtype_plugin->process_question_answer(Array) #1 [dirroot]/backup/util/helper/restore_structure_parser_processor.class.php(103): restore_structure_step->process(Array) #2 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/processors/grouped_parser_processor.class.php(151): restore_structure_parser_processor->dispatch_chunk(Array) #3 [dirroot]/backup/util/helper/restore_structure_parser_processor.class.php(91): grouped_parser_processor->postprocess_chunk(Array) #4 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/processors/simplified_parser_processor.class.php(148): restore_structure_parser_processor->postprocess_chunk(Array) #5 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/processors/progressive_parser_processor.class.php(92): simplified_parser_processor->process_chunk(Array) #6 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/progressive_parser.class.php(169): progressive_parser_processor->receive_chunk(Array) #7 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/progressive_parser.class.php(253): progressive_parser->publish(Array) #8 [internal function]: progressive_parser->end_tag(Resource id #572, 'answer') #9 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/progressive_parser.class.php(158): xml_parse(Resource id #572, '/shuffleanswers...', 0) #10 [dirroot]/backup/util/xml/parser/progressive_parser.class.php(137): progressive_parser->parse('/shuffleanswers...', false) #11 [dirroot]/backup/util/plan/restore_structure_step.class.php(105): progressive_parser->process() #12 [dirroot]/backup/util/plan/base_task.class.php(153): restore_structure_step->execute() #13 [dirroot]/backup/util/plan/base_plan.class.php(167): base_task->execute() #14 [dirroot]/backup/util/plan/restore_plan.class.php(157): base_plan->execute() #15 [dirroot]/backup/controller/restore_controller.class.php(315): restore_plan->execute() #16 [dirroot]/blocks/sharing_cart/classes/controller.php(256): restore_controller->execute_plan() #17 [dirroot]/blocks/sharing_cart/restore.php(21): sharing_cart\controller->restore(471, 180, 5) #18 {main}

Debug info:
Error code: notlocalisederrormessage
Stack trace:
  • line 476 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 29 of /blocks/sharing_cart/restore.php: call to print_error()

by James Roberts -

Don,

I voted/commented in the Moodle tracker thingee for this plug-in.

I am using Moodle 2.8 now and the Sharing Cart works well but I have noticed a small bug. The waiting/busy spinning dots do not appear while the Sharing Cart is uploading an activity. (I am using Windows 8.1.  I haven't checked this elsewhere.) This is unnerving, I suspect for new users in particular, since the transfer can take time. In Moodle 2.4, the spinning dots were always present.

Is this a Moodle theme issue since my installs (2.4 vs 2.8) involve different themes?

by Just H -

Change the theme to the one you used in 2.4 to see if it's a theme issue.

In reply to Just H

by James Roberts -

Just H,

I realize now that the "Copy to Sharing Cart" shows a waiting icon (turning circle/spinning hourglass) to the immediate right of the source activity.

When you select a location in the receiving/destination course and "Copy from the Sharing Cart", the waiting icon appears in the active tab of the Internet browser (usually in the upper left of the screen).

Moodle indicates that you have to wait while files move; but you have to know where to look for progress!

does the Sharing Cart create independent copies or linked clones?

by Jerome Di Pietro -

Does this create duplicates of the original resources? i.e. once copied to your ‘cart’ does the new version become detached from the original?

For me the ideal implementation would just link back to the original so that any updates were reflected in all child clones. Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Jerome

In reply to Jerome Di Pietro

Re: does the Sharing Cart create independent copies or linked clones?

by Davo Smith -

Sharing cart backs up and restores the activity to make an independent copy.

Moodle has no support for linking two activities together in the way you are describing (other than manually inserting a link into a 'label resource').

In reply to Davo Smith

by Jerome Di Pietro -

Thanks Davo, it's as I thought. 

Still very useful! 

Cheers

In reply to Jerome Di Pietro

by Don Hinkelman -

Yes, Davo is exactly right. The Sharing Cart is a personal library for backing up and restoring (cherry-picking and planting) full copies of individual course items.  In our school program, whenever we want to "link" and have all teachers/classes use the same copy and update the same copy, we use a metacourse. For example, at our university, 500 students with 15 teachers on 35 classes all use the same quizzes via a metacourse with 1000 question items, that are constantly being updated.

By the way, this forum thread is now nine years old--happy birthday to Sharing Cart! We are still campaigning to get this in core. HQ is listening, so please vote here if you want the Sharing Cart as a standard block >> MDL-19721 (Put Sharing Cart into core). And then post a comment there on why the Sharing Cart is valuable to you and your colleagues.

by Aurelien DARIE -

Dear Don,

Thank you for this great plugin.

I've had some issues copying h5p content. It crashes as soon as I decide or not to include the user data within the copy (even though it is enable within the block settings).

Furthermore, it seems like teachers aren't capable of copying other teachers content. 

I did change the permission : moodle/backup:userinfo, moodle/backup:anonymise and moodle/restore:userinfo

error

We use moodle 2.9.3 in our school

Thank you

by Andrew Ambrosius -

Hi,

I am using the latest version of sharing cart on a Moodle 3.2.1 installation. The sharing cart works perfectly on my 2.9 version theme. The problem arises when I apply the latest REMUI theme from edwiser. When I try and edit a resource the sharing cart option is not available.

I know the issue lies with the theme and not the sharing cart, however if anyone had any suggestions on how to enable this in the REMUI theme, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Ambrosius

by Just H -

Given it's a paid theme unlikely anyone here can help; best to contact the theme developers.

In reply to Just H

by Andrew Ambrosius -

Yes, to be fair I thought as much, however, no harm in putting it out there. 

At the end of the day if it helps someone else in the future, better to have posted than to have kept quiet. 

I'm waiting for a response from the edwiser team. When,  I get one, I'll be sure to post it... That is if it solves my problem

by Sam Mudle -

Hi Don,

Can you update this for moodle version 3.3?

Thanks!

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Don Hinkelman -

Emma Richardson has tested the latest Sharing Cart 3.2, release 1 version in Moodle 3.3, and reports that it works fine.

Please go here to download from the Plugins Database: https://moodle.org/plugins/block_sharing_cart

Sorry, until recently, we have not learned how to make automatic notification of upgrades, but thanks to some coaching by Alex Bias, we hope to do so in the next future upgrade.  And a reminder, please vote here if you want the Sharing Cart to become a standard block >> MDL-19721 (Put Sharing Cart into core).

by Roger Emery -

Hi,

We really like the sharing cart, very useful.

One question - we'd like to allow users to put items in the sharing cart from a course full of resources, however we don't want the user to have editing rights to the originals in the course.

It seems the only way to allow users to put items into the sharing cart is to give them editing access (eg editing teacher) role. Is there a way of doing this so they only have read only access to activities?

Many Thanks

Roger

In reply to Roger Emery

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Roger,
We try to give teachers as many rights as possible. So I don't see that kind of feature in the near future. What are some reasons to limit teachers to non-editing?

by Steve McGuire -

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@sagehills.net to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

In reply to Steve McGuire

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Steve,

Not sure what your post is about. If it is an issue you are having with the Sharing Cart, you can send a message to me (hinkel at sgu.ac.jp) or you can post the details on github. For those of you cannot wait to get Sharing Cart 3.3, here is a zip file. It will be posted in the plugins directory in a few weeks when we have things tidied up. Vote for MDL-19721.

Don

by stefan weber -

Hi Don,

thanks for your great plugin, we have been using it for a while and our teachers love it smile

I have one problem though, which is not really a bug, so I decided to post it here instead of github:

We run a customized version of boost which pulled some of the action icons for activities out of the action dropdown menu.

Now we would like to get rid of the dropdown menu altogether, and the only icon that I can't manage to pull out is the "backup to Sharing Cart"

I redefined all the other activity action icons as " action_menu_link_primary" instead of " action_menu_link_secondary" - however, I cannot find where the action icon for the Sharing Cart is defined / added to the course page

In reply to stefan weber

by stefan weber -

nevermind, i figured it out:

change two lines in script.js:

line 189: .addClass('menu-action cm-edit-action')

line 1094: $menu = $activity.find('div[role="menubar"]');

by Lea Cohen -

I hope this is the correct place to post a support question.

On our Moodle 3.3 system, there are some quizzes that result in an error when restoring them from the sharing cart.

The error received is:

restore_step_exception: Failed to find an answer matching "<p><a href="$@PAGEVIEWBYID*56799@$" target="_blank">ישעיה א</a></p>"
in the question_answers database table.
This occurred while restoring the question with id 508139 in the backup file,
which has been matched to the existing question with id 508139 in the database.

followed by a stack trace.

How can I deal with this problem?

by Richard van Iwaarden -

I love the Sharing Cart! However, I have noticed that in some custom course formats there's no option to add entire sections to the sharing cart. Question: how is this option added to the normal 'topics' format? Perhaps I can adjust my custom course formats to work well with the sharing cart.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Richard,

A new Sharing Cart ver. 3.5 is now released on the Plugins Database: https://moodle.org/plugins/block_sharing_cart.  Version 3.6 coming soon. Also there is a new github for reporting issues. Sorry please re-enter any previous issues at this new github: https://github.com/donhinkelman/moodle-block_sharing_cart   Thank you very much for your patience.

Don

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Sharing Cart locking down edit functions after update

by Fernando Oliveira -

After updating Sharing Cart to version 2019012000, the plugin is preventing all edit functions from loading properly, as shown here: https://www.screencast.com/t/P0NG9zqyOW

Looks like some kind of JS problem.

The strange thing is that this problem exists on our production server, but I can't seem to replicate on our test site.

We're running Moodle 3.5.4.

Wondering if anyone has come across this problem.

Thanks,

Fernando

In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: Sharing Cart locking down edit functions after update

by Fernando Oliveira -
In case anyone else comes across this problem...

Note that just disabling Bootstrap Elements won't solve the issue. You need to uninstall.

Hopefully they'll have a fix soon.

Cheers,
Fernando

Re: Sharing Cart locking down edit functions after update

by Osvaldo Canato -

Thanks a lot, Fernando.

In our brazilian site (IFSP, Câmpus SP) the same was happening. As we use so much the Sharing Cart tool, we were quite lost until discover your post!

Cheers,
Osvaldo

Re: Re: Sharing Cart locking down edit functions after update

by Amanda Doughty -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I have fixed our issues by editing mod/bootstrapelements/amd/src/fontawesome-iconpicker.js

In 2 places remove:

(function(a) {
"use strict";
if (typeof define === "function" && define.amd) {
define([ "jquery" ], a);
} else if (window.jQuery && !window.jQuery.fn.iconpicker) {
a(window.jQuery);
}
})(function(a) {
"use strict";

and replace with:

define(['jquery'], function(a) {