Problem: It is difficult for our teachers to share projects and media or move projects between courses. By projects we mean a topic/section which includes a mix of resources and activities. Our teachers want to share projects, not courses and not individual resources or activities. "Import" is a great tool, but we need something more simplified to encourage teacher-sharing, and we need something that shares these collections of resources/activities in a topic. Generally, the backup/restore procedure collates course items into activity types which then breaks up the topic/project. Furthermore, we have difficulties handling media files, and want to keep them associated with the project, and move with the project.
Proposal: Create a course format in 1.9 for easy sharing, and a side block for random collecting.
1. "Project-based" Course Format
- make a new course format based on the "Topics" format.
- put more structure into each topic/project box. In addition to a free-form HTML label area, we would add a fixed "project title" and two Flash uploader buttons.
- a free form HTML area would remain below the title and uploader buttons.
- one quick uploader would allow bulk upload of resources and automatically insert the icons/titles in the topic/project box on the course page.
- another quick uploader would allow bulk upload of media files (audio and video) into a project folder for later linking to quizzes/ activities
- all resource files and media files would go into a project folder, located in the Course Files area, and the folder name fixed to the fixed to the project title.
- a backup icon would backup *only* the whole project--all resources, activities inside the single topic/project. Only the specific project folder inside the course files area would be backed up with the project.
- restore would rebuild the new paths to files within the project.
2. Activity/Resource "Sharing" Cart
- this will enable rapid collecting of individual items while browsing inside a site.
- a block inside a Moodle site would be called a "Sharing Cart"
- the block would be for teachers/admins and it would follow a teacher everywhere he/she navigates around the site.
- teachers could drag interesting activities/resources from other courses into their sharing cart.
- teachers could drag-and-drop any of these selected activities/ resources into their own course to the exact location they want.
- upon insertion, the sharing cart would automatically make a backup/ restore of the selected activity (without user data) into the new location
Questions: We are rather naive in attempting this, but we *have* to have easy sharing by March or our program will collapse! Well actually, we have a lot of momentum in collaborative teaching and want to accelerate it. So I don't really know what questions to ask, and hope to hear some warnings and suggestions. Gordon Bateson has already given us some encouraging advice, and we are wondering about:
- any issues with a project folder with a title fixed to the project title?
- is it better to use Flash, Ajax or stick with a simpler XHTML?