Conditional activities: Score Lock v 1.0

Conditional activities: Score Lock v 1.0

by John Gschnaidner -
Number of replies: 91

Here it is:
Score Lock
v 1.0 beta for moodle 1.6.1

WARNING: Even I test my codes until I get no more debugging errors it is possible, that there are bugs. Do not use Score Lock on a produczion server until you are sure!

Score Lock is a hack for locking activities/resources and section, forcing the student to complete one ore more tasks at a certain grade.
Score Lock is a branch of Activity Locking based on my version v 2.4 with additional functions:

• a separate log table where user access on resources is saved
    (and therefore the normal logs may be deleted)
  • a block for display and log controll
  • FULL INSTALLATION / DEINSTALLATION FUNCTION

Score Lock installing supports only mySQL at the moment.
Since I will have to do some traveling I won't be able to answer to bugs until 25th of September; thank you for your patience.

For further informationplease use the entry Score Lock from the moodleDocs.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Gschnaidner

Re: Conditional activities: Score Lock v 1.0

by Alistair McQuade -
Hi John,

I installed  your new locking activity on Moodle 1.6.1+. It was just my local test site which is MySQL on localhost. I de-installed my existing activity locking first. I notice that your file extensions are *.scl so I changed them to php and populated the relevant folders accordingly. Was this correct? Maybe not because I got the following error when trying to get into any of my courses:

'Error finding or creating section structures for this course'

Also it made the 'verify certificate' block invalid.

Thanks

Al

In reply to Alistair McQuade

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Al,

I just came back and need to see the other mails too.

So just a short answer:
It is IMPORTANT, that the files have the extension scl (my extension for SCore Lock)!
Score Lock is a HACK, that means, it will have to replace original moodle files to work.
During the installation part 2 (see docs) the original files will be backed up and the scl will be changed to php and html. There is a small error handling as well, to let you know if anything went wrong.

On deinstallation the hacked files will be changed back to scl and the original files will be restored.

Give me a day or two to sort out the rest of mails (I also have a real job smile).
Regards
  John

by Alistair McQuade -
Nice one John, thanks for that, I'll have another look later in the week as yes, I too have a real job!!

smile

Al
In reply to Alistair McQuade

by Genie Wu -

Hi All,

I am new to the board and just started using Moodle since last week.

First I want to thank John for this useful block. It must have taken a great amount of your leisure time to develop the block and write documentations for it.

I just installed scorelock this afternoon and ran into the same problem that Al stated above. Everytime I tried to create a new course, I got 'Error finding or creating section structures for this course' after assigning instructors. I had only one course on Moodle before I installed scorelock and that one seems to be working ok with scorelock but with some minor problems. One of the problems is that it has "[[]]" around anything to do with scorelock. Did I do anything wrong?

So far I am pretty impressed with Moodle. Cheers to everybody who make it happen!

Genie

by J. Chan -

Wow! Great Contribution.

I have never installed ActivityLocking before. I am just waiting for this one. I followed all the message in the forum. I downloaded a few previous versions without insallation.

This morning, I downloaded the v1.0 and immediately tried to install it.

The first time,

1. nothing happened. No message saying "Score Lock installed" except the table set up correctly in the admin screen.
  2. in every course or section, no "Score Lock" tabs were seen.
  3. The *.scl seemed not working at all.

So, I retried again. This time,

1. install the "block" ...ok
  2. replace the extensions "*.scl" of files by "*.txt" and do all the hacking manually for the following files:
    • course\editsection.php
    • course\lib.php
    • course\mod.php
    • course\topics\format.php
    • course\weeks\format.php
    • lib\moodlelib.php
  3. renaming the following files:
    • course\editsection_settings.scl to editsection_settings.html
    • course\mod_settings.scl to mod_settings.html
    • course\scorelock.scl to scorelock.php
    • course\scorelocks.scl to scorelocks.php
    • lib\scorelocklib.scl to scorelocklib.php
  4. following the course\ScoreLockCSS.txt and add in some settings into either the styles_color.css or colors.css files in the Theme folders.
  5. files are missing in the download:
    • lang\en_utf8\block_scorelock.php (this one not found)
    • lang\en_utf8\scorelock.php (this one can be borrowed from the Lock of the ActivityLocking 2.4)
  6. The above files only appear in German within the moodledata\lang\de_utf8.
  7. The file block\scorelock\db\mysql.sql contains four paragraphs:
    • the first two "create TABLE" is setup automatically in Admin.
    • the third and fourth ones "alter TABLES" are not setup unless it is written that "done when installing the block".
    • I followed the instructions and install the block in one course. Error message appear and even lock me out from the course. Only until I remove the scorelock block could I re-enter the course.
    • So again, I try to run the above "third and fourth paragraph" (i.e. to "alter Table" , which is similar to what the ActivityLocking advise to do) and re-install the scorelock block.
    • This time, everythings works except for one thing: "ScoreLock Block" is not working and shows only German.
    • BTW, I would like to mention that I still keep all the *.scl files in the target folders in case they might work and might affect the "ScoreLock Block".

Now, I have some questions:

1. I think I have just installed the ActivityLocking (instead of ScoreLock) with the title of "ScoreLock", haven't I?
  2. I supposed the *.scl files should be functional instead of manual hacking, shouldn't they?
  3. If it is so, would it make a difference when the *.scl files are mainly extracted and adapted from 1.60 or 1.61 moodles files but do not really match mine, which is the 1.6+ or 1.61+?
  4. Am I missing anything, where are the files in the lang\en_utf8 ?
  5. ScoreLock Block is supposed to function, how?

However, I can start working with the ScoreLock immediately. I tried on different mods, like Certificate, myjournals, ...etc. They seemed to be working and function great. Thanks!

I hope anyone might spare some time telling me if I did correct procedure above.

Besides, I wonder if anyone has suggested that the ScoreLock may include one more function: different marks locked to different activities. 

For example, when the students only get 60% ~ 80% in one activity, A, they should start a series of two other remedial activities B & C. When they finished the two satisfactorily, they may try on the first activity (i.e. A) again. On the other hand, if some brighter students who achieve more than 80% in the first trial of A, they may further their course to activity D without going through B & C.

How can I configure the current ScoreLock to meet and monitor the above sequences?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

James

In reply to J. Chan

by Cody Nosfe -

I installed it as well, followed instructions as the author specified... but no results, I get an error telling me that the original files could not be backed up.

I followed james's, then I got a non-working site!

Luckily I reverted to the backup I did before installing ScoreLock.

Has anyone managed to install it successfully?

If so, how?

In reply to Cody Nosfe

by J. Chan -

Dear Cody,

Sorry that I forgot to say that I also had a non-working site too. Then, I restored the moodlelib.php and remove the scorelock block. Re-install the moodlelib.php again and use the new db files in the scorelock block. Actually, the new db files is mainly borrowed from the previous mysql.sql of the ActivityLocking.

Here I enclosed all the files I installed on my server ONLY if you want to test it out. However, I would highly recommend you to wait for John.

Cheers

James

In reply to J. Chan

by Cody Nosfe -

Well, thanks to your post, your files, some persistence and a handful of magic dust I have the Score Lock working, although I had to reinstall the scorm module as well (I am using it to condition SCORM packages).

I had a problem adding new module instances, but I got round it by setting 'Allow null' in the tables modified by SL.

I have a (slight) problem, though:

I get an annoying 'Error inserting new topic!' in the topic format (the one I use). I have so far commented the line that causes it in format.php, but I fear anything could be wrong there.

But thanks anyway for your help, it is appreciated.

And thanks to the author of such an inventive & practical block/hack!!!

In reply to Cody Nosfe

by Steph Foerst -
Your post just saved me Cody! I'm using AL 2.4 and I had an error every time I tried to add a new activity or resource. I changed the database to allow null and it works now! Yea!

Thanks!
In reply to J. Chan

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi James,

please see my answer to AL (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=54195#247159)

Ang: Re: Score Lock v 1.0

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

Welcome back smile

My test of your Score Lock beta reveals this:

In Firefox I get thrown out of the platform when I try to save the variables in the admin section.

In IE it goes fine and I get the message that everything has gone fine. By following your step 1 & 2 in the moodledocs.

But when I enter a course and try to add a block I get this error:

Could not backup /home/moodle/course/editsection.php before installation.

I try to change permission on that file to 777 - but the same error happens.

So John - welcome back - there is still a little to do - but your solution sure has the solution for tomorrows' Moodle.
Thank you smile
In reply to Jens Gammelgaard

Re: Ang: Re: Score Lock v 1.0

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello Jens,

thanks. I will publish a complete version (including English language files).

The message you see is a small fail-safe feature, just to make sure to get a proper installation done. I am not sure, but I thought writing files is necessary for moodle. I will have to give it a second look.

Regards
  John 

By the way: Which PHP and mySQL version are you using?

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Score Lock v 1.0

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

We will be looking forward to the coming weekend, nice.

I use PHP-version 4.4.2 and MySql version 4.1.21

BR
Jens

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

Interesting, even if I manually rename the editsection.scl to: editsection.php - I get the same error:

'Could not backup /home/moodle/course/editsection.php before installation.'

- which comes in fine English now with your language files.

Looking forward to see your next refinement smile

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello Jens and everybody else,

The error handling here is a bit simple; if you rename the scl files manually (or a part of them), or if a file is missing, or can not be renamed (for any reason) you will get about the same error (it is either could not backup or could not install ).
Currently I am writing a better error handling for the installation of the hack, to find out where exactly the error is happening.

The other part, where you get a lot of errors on creating a new course (after installation has been successful) is fixed; I forgot to include the other labels of course_sections, when a (new) course is empty.

The error handling will take me another day or two. Hopefully we will be able to nail the problem with this.

Regards
John

Score Lock v 1.0 - 'Could not backup' solved

by Torsten Regener -
I had the same problem on my Moodle 1.6.2 system (running Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 ). But fixed now! Here's how:

In blocks/scorelock/lib.php , change all double backslashes '\' to '/' (at the end in get_scl_files()) . Then look for $file_string = $CFG->dirroot.'\'.$scl->file.'.'; and change '\' to '/' here as well. There's two places to do that, once in install once in uninstall. That's it - at least the script tells me installation has been successfulsmile

I'll play around with it now and see if the rest also works fine ;o)

In reply to Torsten Regener

Ang: Score Lock v 1.0 - 'Could not backup' solved

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Torsten,

With your hack to the Scorelock 1.02 then I in the course when adding the block I get this error message:

Some of the original moodle files are missing.
/moodle//course\editsection.php

The same error message for some of the other files

Re: Ang: Score Lock v 1.0 - 'Could not backup' solved

by Torsten Regener -
It looks like you forgot to change some of the slashes - there should not be any double (//) or back (\) slashes anywhere.

I have attached my moodle/blocks/scorelock/lib.php so you should be able to just copy that file ... haven't changed anything else there.
In reply to Torsten Regener

Ang: Re: Ang: Score Lock v 1.0 - 'Could not backup' solved

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Torsten and John,

Torsten, thank you for the lib.php.

Now the slashes seems to work. How ever, when I press the edit button in a course I get thrown out from the Moodle platform. Then I delete the logs and try again - the same thing happens.

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Score Lock v 1.0 - 'Could not backup' solved

by John Gschnaidner -

Jens, Torsten gave you the modified lib.php of version 1.0. That could be the problem, if you use it on v1.0.2.

You can try to use the deinstall option (in admin/blocks/Score Lock/settings) and reinstall the hack again.

But I think, that you get the debugged version 1.0.3 tomorrow (I will post it tonight). you will still have to deinstall the hack (and better the block too), before the update.

Regards
  John

Score Lock v 1.0 - 'Could not backup' still a problem

by Deleted user -

I have read this Score Lock forum several times, and noticed that several people had the same error I just had during installation:

Can not backup original moodle file

Could not backup /home/mysite/public_html/course/editsection.php

I downloaded version 1.03, which fixed the problem with the slashes, so this obviously isn't the issue (which you can see in error above).

Score Lock creates the new tables fine, and I checked the box for Install in Admin Blocks, and then when I added the Score Lock block, the above error comes up. All the appropriate .scl files are in the appropriate directories, but the problem seems to be that it can't rename the editsection.php file to editsection.php.org (and yes, the file exists).

I noticed some other people had this problem, and even tried changing permissions, but the problem still persisted.

Has anybody found a solution to this problem?

In reply to J. Chan

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello James,

first, thanks for trying and yes, I just noticed, that the English language files are missing from the package. I will have a complete package posted this weekend (I need to access the data on my other PC).

Some answers to your questions:

1. As stated in the Moodle Docs, Score Lock is an offspring of Activity Locking v2.4. The name has been changed by me to draw a line to the confusion of several different branches with the same name (see Moodle Docs).
  2. The installation is divided in two parts:
    a) Block installation as usual
    b) Hack installation by setting the "Install" switch in the global block settings of the Score Lock block (this is one feature you won't find in AL). With this installation the tables are also updated.
    For further information please read the Doc. But I understand, with a missing lang file the tags are a bit hard to read.
  3. The scl-files are different from normal Moodle files, because they are hacked! The current version of the file before the hack can be seen in the first two lines of the file code.
    Currently the files are based on 1.61. The scl files will be renamed after the original files have been backed up. This way a complete deinstallation of the hack is possible (I think, nobody could make it before, but certainly not with AL).

An answer to your suggestion might be "Conditional Activity", but to be honest, I have not tried much of it. But I think it allows logical linking of conditions. If I find a lot of free time I might try something like that too. Or somebody else may try as I will publish on source forge once Score Lock is through the beta stadium.

Anyway, have a little patience. I will fix things as soon as possible, but until Saturday I have a bit of official business pressure.

Regards
John

by J. Chan -

Hi, John

Welcome back! Just to let you know the ScoreLock is working fine, except the ScoreLock block itself. At the moment, I don't know how to use only the "block", and so I have never "reset" a lock. However, sooner or later, I know I will ask my students to repeat a sequence of activities one more time for consolidation or simply, revision purpose. Please let us know how to reset the locks, thanks.

One pointer to new users of ScoreLock: Never, or don't even try, without a reason, to "tick" the box within admin/block/scorelock. If you have done so, you may have to re-configure all the previous settings you might have "locked" on activities. However, if you have done so, go back and "untick" the box, or you will keep receiving "error message" when you load the Scorelock block.

Once again, thanks to John for this great contribution.

James

In reply to J. Chan

by John Gschnaidner -
admin/block/scorelock tick box:
With the language files in place, you will notce, that this is the de-installation setting. smile

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi everybody,

here are the missing language files.
That should help you with the installation (since you get some messages and advices).

For the other bugs I will get back to you on / after the weekend (depends on finding the bugs).

Regards
  John

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello everybody,

here is the promised version (including English language files) with a fix on creating a new course (I am not sure if a allow Null in the DB is still necessary) and better error handling for hack installation.

To update make sure, the hack is deinstalled (admin - blocks - score lock - settings and access a course, which uses the Score Lock block), copy the files to Moodle and reinstall the hack.

The error handling of installation will check now (before installation), if all necessary files are there, and tell you which are missing.
Always remember to check the files in course and lib folder of Moodle for proper naming (extensions) after a failed installation.
I am thinking of a trace back on renaming, but it might take a while.

Please let me know any errors or bugs you may find.

Regards
  John

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

With your latest Scorelock 1.02 then I in the course when adding the block I get this error message:

Some of the original moodle files are missing.
/moodle\\course\editsection.php

The same error message for some of the other files

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Jens,

two things to check/try:

1. Is there a editsection.php in your course directory? (just to be sure )
  2. Try that fix by Torsten and replace the double backslash against single slashes (blocks/scorelock/lib.php). I will include this with the next bug fix (today evening or tomorrow; I am not at home at the moment).

It is possible, that this is related to the double backslash, since the message shows some mismatch there.

Ang: Score Lock v 1.0

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

I tried out Thorstens solution, which did not work here either.

I have an editsection.php in my course directory. It is though not the one you have hacked from the *scl file, so I manually renamed it. No, progress still.

I have also changed the // to a single one in the lib.php file, but it just gives this error: moodle162plus/course\editsection.php

I will try out your coming update, and give you the feedback a.s.a.p.

NB: None of my original files gets backed up as .org and your scl-files does not get used as the new .php and html files as they should.

Thank you.

Re: Ang: Score Lock v 1.0

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Jens,

about your last note: that is correct. As long as the existing-file-check does return an error, nothing will happen (no backup - no changes).

But still, the problem must be with the slashes. I'll give it another look tonight or tomorrow.

John

by John Gschnaidner -

Next debuged version:
ScoreLock v1.0.3

Fixed:

• new course error
  • error handling for installation
  • double backslash installation problem

by John Gschnaidner -
... and the German language file

by Angelika Bodein -
Hi John,

I've installed v1.0.3 and nothing happend. I get no message of tables installed and there is no block Score Lock.

Could it be a problem, that the moodle version is only 1.6?

Angelika

by Genie Wu -

Hi John,

I just installed SL 1.03. It appears to be working fine. I was able to create new courses and new activities after allowing some fields to be null in the newly created tables.

A couple problems though. I created a topic course with a webpage, a test, and a certificate (certificate module beta 3.1). The predecessors are the ones before themselves. The lock for the test works fine. But I was able to receive a certificate without passing the test (the completion of predecessor box not checked). I have another problem with a scorm activity with SL. The score setting for completion is 0 or 1. Don't know what that means.

Thanks,

Genie

In reply to Genie Wu

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello Genie,

great news and thank you for testing.

When I tried the last version of certificate (a month ago, or so) it worked OK.
SCORM created a couple of problems on moodle 1.6; at least I got the impression from watching the forum. What does your grade book say about the score for this SCORM package?

I also noticed, that starting with moodle 1.6 there are some differences with grade functions. I had to add a special rule for forums and resources. If there are more troubles, I have to dig a bit deeper.

Regards
John

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

I have tested the lock against an Assignment > Certificate and it works if you select the setting: Visible when locked: NO. (If you select YES - then the participant can click and view the certificate directly)

You can't lock the forums at all in order to view the certificate.

Regards
Jens

by John Gschnaidner -

Thank you, Jens, for that input. I first thought I know where to look, but that problem seems to be in a different location. I will check it by Saturday (at the moment I am quite busy; got a new course to create wink).

Regards
 John

by Genie Wu -

Thanks to both John and Jens. The certificate issue is solved by doing what Jens said to do - hide the certificate before the users pass the predecessors.

Another good news is that SL works fine with Scorm too. The problem I had yesterday was not with SL but with gradebook. The gradebook couldn't record anything other than 0 even though the report showed that the user completed the scorm. I came accross this: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5695 

After changing the code, the gradebook finally records the scorm grade correctly! Oh, I am using Moodle 1.62. Apperently the bug has not been fixed in this version.

Geniebig grin

In reply to Genie Wu

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Genie,

I don't think, that this will solve the problem completely. You will still be able to see the item from the corresponding menu (and that is something I have not been checking again).
As I said I will check on this matter.

Regards
 John

by Genie Wu -

Hi Jens,

I just realized that users can still see the certificate and go to it from the drop down menu "Jump to". Any other ideas?

Genie

In reply to Genie Wu

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Genie and John, The same access is of course possible in 1.63,- but I am sure as long as we continue to reweal these bugs for John, then a solution will come along smile Regards Jens

by John Gschnaidner -

One more thing:

Score Lock v1.0.3 is based on moodle 1.6.1 and should also work with 1.6.2.

Moodle 1.6.3 has some changes in the hacked files and in related code too. I have not yet tried, if it will work with 1.6.3 and if a 1.6.3 based version will run in 1.6.2 or 1.6.1.

That is the problem with hacked code.

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi John,

I will here report what happens in version 1.63+:

After uploading the hack > I go to Variables and save > The tables installes correctly > I enter the blocks > I tick the intalling selection and savn > I enter a course and add the Score Lock block >

I then get this block window: See attached

When I click the edit button I get this error message:

A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

And get thrown out of the moodle so I have to login again.

I can see that all the files from your hack are renamed as they should.

Just F.Y.I.

I will try a 1.62 version to see it helps smile

BR
Jens

Attachment BlockWindowScoreLockV163.png

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
John,

I tried a second time: Now the installation works with 1.63 - I must have used the beta 1.02 by a mistake. Great - I will contiune testing it smile

by Angelika Bodein -
Hi John,

now I am gone to Variables and saved (like Jens wrote) and I get the block Score Lock.

When installing the block I get no message and on adding SL to a course I get this error message:

Can not backup original moodle file.
Could not backup /www/rettungshunde-brh.de/moodle/course/editsection.php before installation.

Where can I get moodle 1.6.1?

Angelika
In reply to Angelika Bodein

by Bill Weinheimer -

John,

I'm using Moodle 1.61 with mySQL 4.1.21 running on sles9.3 and I get the message

In reply to Angelika Bodein

by Nikki Macfarlane -
John,

I am having the same problem. I am using Moodle 1.63 (I noted that someone else had got the Score Lock working well with 1.63 a few days ago) and just tried to install ScoreLock 1.0.3.

I went through all the steps in your documentation one at a time. Once I had copied all the files, I went to Admin and as expected, got the message that Score lock tables had been correctly set up.

I then clicked on Blocks and chose settings for the Scorelock block. Ticked install and clicked on save changes. All looking good so far. Checked the database and two tables had been created - mdl_scorelock_locks and scorelock_logs.

I then opened an existing course and created a Score Lock block. The block appears but with the message as follows:

Cannot backup original moodle file
Could not backup /www/sitename/moodle/course/editsection.php before installation

There is an editsection.php file in the moodle/course directory.

I looked at the .scl files and they do not appear to be any different than preior to installation. Am not sure - are they supposed to have changed file extension or are they supposed to just be sitting there as they were when I coppied them across from the download?

I tried adding the block to a new course as well but the same problem. I removed the certificate module because it did not appear to be working properly anyway and not sure if this could have caused problem, reinstalled Score lock and same problem.

Hope you can help!

Nikki Macfarlane
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Nikki,

When I successfully installed SL with 1.63 I did it in this order:

1. Uploaded the hack
  2. Admin > Variables > Saved > The tables install like you describe
  3. I setup a coockie in variable since I have several Moodles installed at the server.
  4. I went to the course and added the SL block - which says that I need to instal it via the block section
  5. Administration > Blocks > I select install in the Score Lock block.
I click the link to the course where I in step 4 added the SL block.

Voila - now the SL block is installed successfully in version 1.63.

My experience is that 1.6x serie has been filled with far more bugs than the 1.5x serie, so personally I will recommend my Moodlers to wait for 1.71 (or later). But of course I hope the quality will surprise positively smile .

Great work John, - I will test yours new aprovement this weekend - you are amazing the way you finish to your own deadlines. smile

Regards
Jens

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Thanks for the info Jens. Followed it the same way you installed it from steps 1 through to 5. However, when I went back into the course that had the block added I got the same error. Grrrr!

Thanks anyway,

Nikki Macfarlane

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Nikki,

I should also mention, that each time I use a fresh installation and afresh database.

BR
Jens

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hey John,
No rush. Anybody looking at SL in 1.7 which I think has (of course) a slightly different set of requirements? 

Thanks for all your efforts.   Chris

by Nikki Macfarlane -
John,

For those of us who will be installing Score Lock to an existing installation of Moodle, I am wondering how Score Lock will know about activities students have already completed.

In the past this information was held in the logs. If for example, a student had completed activity A prior to Score Lock being installed, and activity B relies on the completion of activity A, once Score Lock is installed and the logs deleted, will the student have to redo Activity A in order to unlock activity B? Does this make sense? I am wondering how this will imapct students once Score Lock is installed on the live site and whether or not they are going to have to redo work in order to be able to unlock future activities.

Thanks,

Nikki Macfarlane

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Nikki,

as you asked for Activity Locking, Score Lock is using a separate table for the student-resource-access. That was very easy; I wonder, why nobody else did it:

When checking, if a mod has been completed I check my table score_lock_log, to see, if there is an entry for this student. If there is none, I check the normal log. If the log contains an entry, I create an entry in the score_lock_log.

Since this check is run on every page access, the score_lock_log is updated on students activities in no time; deleting the moodle log won't efect the score_lock_log. Only when the score_lock_log is deleted through the block, the student needs to redo their work.

The code is in the scorelocklib.php(scl) in moodle/lib. I separated that log checking from the original function, since I use it for mods and sections.

Regards
  John

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello everybody,

I checked my code and found ...
... nothing!?

It looks like that two current bugs could be wrong using:

1. Can not install due to 'Can not backup XYZ'
    Please check in the moodle/course, moodle/course/format /weeks and /topics and in moodle/lib for files with the .scl extension and files with the php(html).org extension. If there are files like that, do following:
    + delete all scl files
    + go to admin/blocks/score lock/settings and torn the switch to deinstall.
    deinstall the hack by accessing a page with the SL block.
    NOW you may update for Version 1.0.3
    I am currently putting an extra safety into the install function, to alert at this kind of problem.
  2. Still can access items, that are supposed to be locked:
    You can only test locks as a real student; students view won't work.
    If you are using a dummy student, be aware, that a lock based on resources is unlocked by accessing this resources once! If you want to retest, you will have to delete the logs first (that is in the block). Activate the 'delete moodle logs as well'-option (block settings/edit).
    If grades (activities) are involved you need to reset the Grades.

Let me know, if it did not work.

Regards
John

by Nikki Macfarlane -
John, I have the first problem "cannot install due to cannot back up ..."

I looked at the files and sure enough, there were .scl files and .php files named the same thing in the folders you mentioned. What is supposed to happent ot eh .scl files when it is all installed? Should I still be able to see them or should they be renamed or replace the .php files?

I tried removing the .scl files, uninstalling score lock 1.0.3 and starting over but had the same problem.

I previously had installed activity locking so - have removed the files for activity locking but the database tables still have the activity locking fields in them. Could this be causing a problem?

My log is now getting excessive with almost 200,000 records in it and do not want to delete it until I have score lock installed and working. But not sure where to go next. The following are the steps I took:

1. Downloaded Score Lock ver 1.0.3
2. Uploaded the score lock files to my server
3. Clicked on Administration and got notification the tables were installed.
4. Checked the database and could see the two Score Lock tables there.
5. Opened a course and added the Score Lock block.
6. Score Lock block appeared and said Score Lock was not installed.
7. Went into Adminstration and Blocks.
8. Selected Score Lock Settings, ticked the install box and saved.
9. Went into course with the Score Lock block installed and it gave me the error.

In additon to the standard Moodle 1.6.3 I also have installed the marking block, the book module, the feedback module. Had also tried to install the Ceertificate module but this was not working so have uninstalled it again.

Nikki Macfarlane

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Nikki,

first my answers:

What is supposed to happen to eh .scl files when it is all installed?
The hack installation will:

• modify the course_sections and the course_modules table (add additional columns for lock functionality)
  • rename the original moodle files into xyz.xyz.org (e.g. '/course/mod.php' into '/course/mod.php.org') and then the scl file into the correct extension (e.g. '/course/mod.scl' into '/course/mod.php')

But this will only happen on complete installation (without error). If 'section_edit.php' is your error, you won't see anything; it is the first file to be installed.

I previously had installed activity locking so - have removed the files for activity locking but the database tables still have the activity locking fields in them. Could this be causing a problem?
On an error with the tables you should get a different error and the installation won't reach the trigger for the 'can't backup'-error.

In addition to the standard Moodle 1.6.3 I also have installed the marking block, the book module, the feedback module. Had also tried to install the Certificate module but this was not working so have uninstalled it again.
That should not be a problem, as long as none of this modules/blocks are partial hacks.

Now my questions:

1. Can you find any more .org files in the /course and /lib directory?
    In that case you have a part-installation. Proceed as explained in the moodle docs.
  2. I previously had installed activity locking so - have removed the files for activity locking
    Did you restore the original moodle files?
    Did you delete all files of AL?
    Which version of AL did you use?
    You must be sure, that you have original moodle files and no other hack installed or parts of another hack remaining in your system!
    If you are not sure about, download moodle 1.6.3 again and unzip it on your local hard drive. Next delete the course folder in your moodle directory on the server and upload the course directory from the zip-file.
    In the lib directory on the server delete any form of lock.php or locking.php or so (now it would be good to know, which version of AL you have installed, because you could check for which files has been modified or added). Delete the moodlelib.php from the lib directory as well, and replace it by the one from the zip-file.
    That should take care of the files (you can also delete the /blocks/scorelock directory, since you will reinstall it anyway).
    You may also want to delete any tables add by AL (course_locks) and delete the columns in course_modules (course_sections if necessary) that had been added.
  3. Are you using a production server to test Score Lock? Or can you simply do a clean installation (as suggested by Jens)?
    Preferable you should use a clean installation for installing Score Lock.
    If you have a modified system, I will not be able to fix things for you to work. That would require a intervention at site (and I do not make house calls wink).

Hope this will help.

Regards
John

by Todd Thornton -

John,

Great work on Score Lock. It was just installed on my existing 1.6.3 system and seem to be working perfectly. I do have one question about the future. I was using an activity locking version that had the capability built in to lock forums based on number of postings, replies, etc. I was never able to get that part of the locking working right, but wondered if there were any plans to implement scoring/locking other than "user must access this activity" in Score Lock. On resources other than quiz, hot potatoes, etc, in settings I see the score xxx followed by either a 0 or 1. Is it even feasible to lock those types of activities on scoring, time spent, anything other than "user must access? Once again great work on the Score Lock.

Sincerely,

Todd Thornton

In reply to Todd Thornton

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello Todd,

thank you for the flowers. big grin

the planning is to put as much functionality into Score Lock as necessary. Resources and forums are currently on a special loop; there was some problem with them, so I used a simple way to make them work.
I need to look into that grade functions communication, to figure what is going on there.
Can you remember, which version of AL it was, that has that forum code? Maybe I can savage a bit from there, but I think, that kind of conditions would also be with the grading function.

Oops, that XXX is a left over from debugging.

Thanks again for testing.

Regards
John

by Todd Thornton -
John,

I think it was Stuarts third code for 1.5 that I don't know was officially released on Moodle. He said he didn't have time to support it so he didn't want to release it to the public. About a month or two after he sent it to me he released new code and I just assumed it was the same thing. I'm so confused with the different versions of activity locking I wouldn't even begin to know the version number. I've enclosed a screen-shot on the completion portion of a forum as an attachment.

I also sent you a private message, but I'm having trouble with a few different types of resources being released in Score Lock. The activities that don't want to release are chat rooms, choice, feedback, and glossary. I'd be interested to know if anyone else if having any issues or if it's something specific to my system.

Normal website resources (internal or external), quiz (scoring) , hot potatoes quiz results are all releasing fine.

Sincerely,
Todd Thornton

Attachment forumcompletion.jpg

by Chris Collman -
Hi John,
I just did a clean install of the most recent complete package for 1.6.3 and used SL1.03beta.tar. Looked like it installed when I went to admin, then again when I went into block and checked install in scorelock.

I then imported a course, which includes a bunch of lessons. Did not see tabs in either topic edit or lesson settings edit as administrator. Ditto with a new course.

Sort of followed Nikki's 17 Oct double check. Went to moodle/course and did not see any org but did see scl files. Saw 2 score lock tables. I am on a Windows localhost machine.

I did something different from Nikki. I found every scl file in my moodle directory (using the unpacked scorelock as a guide), renamed the .php file .org, then renamed the scl file to php. I got "Error finding or creating section structures for this course" when I tried to enter the new course I created.
In reply to Chris Collman

by Chris Collman -
Sorry I did not mention that 2.4 loaded just fine for me on a clean 1.6.3. My site administrator will be thrilled with the topic hide AND the activity/resource hide.

Best Chris

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Chris,

renaming the SCL's into PHP (HTML) won't do it, since you are missing some modification to course_modules and course_sections table, which is done on the second part of the installation.

Did you load the Score Lock Block in one course (resp. did you access a course, that has the Score Lock Block installed, after you checked 'install' in global settings - Score Lock), to trigger the second part of the installation?

You see, I use the block to install the hack. If you do not load the block, the hack is not installed!

Hope this will help.

Regards
 John

by Chris Collman -
John
I absolutely did not do that! Duh blush. How did I miss, add the score lock block to your course as the final step?

Another difference with the previous versions. Score Lock only works specific courses, not on every course on the site as earlier versions. Who would have thunk that?

So it works in 1.6.3 on a clean install. I did one simple course, that had a lesson in each of 3 topics and a test resource in the last. Locked lesson 2, locked and hidden lesson 3 and locked and hidden topic 4. My student saw what I expected them to see GREAT!

Thank you John. I guess it is a positive thing that after 10 months of Moodle, I can still manage to make new user mistakes.

Best

by Genie Wu -

Hi John,

I am not sure I get what you said about still can access items. I can lock everything except certificate. I tried what you said:  delete logs ->delete moodle logs as well -> register a new student -> log in as a new student -> go strait to certificate without passing prerequisites from the drop down menu (certificate is hidden so can't access it through topic page) -> got the certificate

Thanks,

Genie

In reply to Genie Wu

Re: Score Lock v 1.0 - Still can access certificate

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello Genie,

Moodle 1.6 has a function, where you can test your course in students view. Score Lock (and others) will not work proper in this mode. To test a course with Score Lock you will have to do that as a 'real' student.

With modules (= activities and resources), that have no grades function, I can not check for a result, based on a students action. In that cases I will check for the moodle logs and for the Score Lock logs, if the student has opened that resource. Once he or she has done that, the task is considered done. This result will be kept, until both logs are deleted. That can be done for a certain student or all students within a course by using the Score Lock block (within that course). Make sure, that you set the option delete moodle log (settings of the Score Lock block in that course!).
For further information please check the updated moodle docs on Score Lock.

Regards
  John

by Eric Eberhardt -
John,

We are using the Questionnaire, Certificate (3.1beta), and Book module. None of these Modules are protected when locked. As you described in the post above, you have to check for each module that has a grade OR each module that is accessed by checking the moodle logs. We understand the theory and we would love to help contribute to the code to make the 3 mentioned modules above (and possibly others) work. Can you point us in the right direction for how we can accomplish this? Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Eric
In reply to Eric Eberhardt

by Eric Eberhardt -
John,

We were able to discover the check_criteria() function on late Wednesday night. We placed this function in the Book, Questionnaire, and Certificate modules and it seems to protect them (and look at the log tables fine), however, the problem that we are having right now is this:

We are able to selectively release the Book, Questionnaire, Certificates fine based on a Test/Quiz score, however, we are not able to release a Test/Quiz score based on the Book, for example, being viewed. These items do appear in the mdl_log table and transfer to the mdl_scorelock_log table fine, but they seem to be unaffected by the fact that we have viewed the item.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eirc

by Munckfish _ -
Hi

I'd like to suggest that the SL source files can be saved in Unix format in future as recommended in the General Rules of the Coding Guidelines.

I went to a do a diff on the core files which SL replaces to see what has changed. However, the diff viewer showed the entire files as different because the line ending are are not the same.

I had to run dos2unix on them first cause the SL files seem to be using either Windows or Mac line endings rather than the Unix format (\n) which is used by the original Moodle files.

This is a very useful module/patch, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dan

Ang: Score Lock v 1.0

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Thrilled we will all be, when we see what John has to show us this weekend blinker

Re: Ang: Score Lock v 1.0

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello everybody,

to be honest, I am still digging.

Many modules in moodle 1.6 have a _grades function, except
choice, data, lesson, resource and label (of course)

The _grades function in the lib.php of a module is used, to tell Score Lock, which student has what score. Strangely I am having troubles to get forum to work with score lock, even it has the grades function.

The time consuming process is, that I will have to debug, which module is feeding back what score on which event. I won't be able to do that this week, since I have to install a complete new website (including a CRM), aside from my normal work.

Patience, please. smile I'll keep you updated.

Regards
John

Score Lock v 1.0 - Can not unlock certain modules

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello again,

I had just a little time, and an idea and I figured, what is going wrong with unlocking, based on the results of certain modules:

• Some modules have a modulename_grades function others have not.
  • Those, which have none, Score Lock is using it's own access log to figure, if the student has accessed it. (The log is the one you can delete with the block)
  • Those, which have a grades function:
    • Have a real score, defined by the students action
    • Have a score based on an assessment, done by the teacher (or others?). Forum is one of them.
      At the beginning of the function is a return false, if they have not been assessed.

For the forum I have installed a kind of patch. Even it has a grades function I use only the access log; same with resource (even it has no grades function).

I will fix that modules with grades function but no functuality in the next version (see table below). Maybe I need to put some extra setup, for those modules, that are working with assessment, to give the admin the option to select grading just by access or grading by assessment.

Hope this information will help you (Todd )

Regards
John

Please check the table for grading in modules:

Module Grades Function Grade Type
Assignment yes by teacher
Chat no --
Choice no --
Data no --
Forum yes by assessment
Glossary yes by assessmnet
Hotpot yes real grading
Journal yes by assessment
Label no --
Lams yes returns only null
Lesson yes real grades
Quiz yes real grades
Resource no --
SCORM yes real grades
Survey no --
Wiki yes returns only null
Workshop yes mixed (not sure)

Re: Score Lock v 1.0 - Can not unlock certain modules

by Todd Thornton -

John,

Great work. Keep this up and I might feel obligated to buy you a nice holiday gift! I just had my first on-line continuing education real estate class approved by two different set of regulators that require locking down activities so your code impressed them enough to give me the green light.

I'm going to try and test your code some more this weekend, but I did notice one thing that may or may not be a problem for some.

When you indent any activity, the check box for access does not move. It doesn't matter to me because I might only go over to the right one click and the box is still close enough, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I don't know if this could also have something to do with the theme I'm using or not.

I don't understand how to use CSS style sheets, but the option in the settings got me to thinking. Is it possible for the check mark to change color based on whether the activity has been completed? In my case I think it might be more intuitive for users to see a green check mark saying "Accessed" which turns to a red check mark showing "Completed" when the activity is finished.

Keep up the great work.

Todd Thornton

Ang: Score Lock v 1.0 - SCORM works with SL

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
John and others...

The SL actually works with the SCORM module, but in most cases it is important in the the SCORM settings for the actual SCORM Quiz to choose: Grading Method: Sum Grade (if only one attempt is allowed)

And if you use Certificate then choose Points in Grade Format.

Now we need to hide the certificate in the 'Jump to' menu and the certificate will be hidden for the right eyes.

How to hide "Section locked and hidden"

by Chris Collman -
I am still blushing but I did review MoodleDocs and while it mentioned block, it jumped right into the screens. I will edit the instructions once the Moodle deity allows me to once again log into MoodleDocs.

How can I hide the "Section locked and hidden" that my student sees? I suspect this is a compiled string of several variables and I was not sure which lines built that string. I think my site administrator would prefer that students don't even know how many topics they must complete.

Would somebody give me a file name and some line references?
Thanks Chris

Re: How to hide "Section locked and hidden"

by John Gschnaidner -

Hi Chris,

there seems to be a problem with the code I used before:
in course/format/topics(weeks)/format.php search for SCL or ALX (some tagging still from AL v2.4) or simply scroll to line 150. You will see something like that:

$showsection = (isteacher($course->id) or !$course->hiddensections or _
                        ($thissection->visible and _
                        ($thissection->lockedvisible or (!$thissection->lockedvisible and !section_locked($thissection)))));
                        // SCL

Change the whole thing to

// SCL_S
        $showsection = false;
        if (!$course->hiddensections) {
           $showsection = true;
        } else {
           if ($thissection->visible) {
              if ($thissection->lockedvisible) {
                 $showsection = true;
              } else {
                 if (!$thissection->lockedvisible and !section_locked($thissection)) {
                    $showsection = true;
                 }
              }
           }
        }
        if (isteacher($course->id)) {
           $showsection = true;
        }
// SCL_E

That should take care of it. The whole section disapeares until the student has completed the requirements.

I have seen some more debugging messages (prio 3, not a real problem - just ugly) around that. I will have to do more debugging, until I will post an updated version.

Regards
  John

Re: How to hide "Section locked and hidden"

by Chris Collman -
Thanks John,
I will make the change in the code and watch for an update.

We generally do simple stuff, Lessons, quiz, and of course Certificate. We are thinking of hiding topics with resources and our two activity types inside.

Best

by Karl Cardon -
Hello,
A big thank you for your work first. I convinced the school I work for to use Moodle only after showing them ScoreLock.
A little question though: I have managed to use the following code in the styles_color.css style sheet

.locked {
background:#FF99FF;
}

but adding the second part with ".completed" doesn't seem to work.
Why is the code in "ScoreLockCSS.txt" different? Does it have a different function?

Thank you.
In reply to Karl Cardon

by Karl Cardon -
Hello again,
I have found out using cssviewer that this is caused by the text not switching to "a.completed" when the condition is met, whereas it does switch to "a.locked" when it is locked.
And only the following code is necessary in the stylesheet, or so it seems.
/***
SCL Module Lock Style
***/
a.locked:link,
a.locked:visited {
background-color: #001000;
}
a.completed:link,
a.completed:visited {
background-color: #99FF99;
}

by Todd Thornton -
Activity not Showing as Accessed

John,

I appreciate your chart and think I understand about grades and accessing activities. I have a couple of web pages that each have an embedded YouTube video and all I'm doing is showing a check box to show they've accessed the page. The check mark never seems to appear showing they have accessed the page. I have other setups the same way (Youtube video embedded in a page) in my courses and the check mark appears when a student accessing the material. Could it be something in the actual videos that's keeping the activity from being released? Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Todd
www.realestaterenegade.com
In reply to Todd Thornton

by Andrew Winter -
This is a great mod. I'm really glad you took the time to move the logs in to the database. Makes manual unlocking of users a breeze!

by John Gschnaidner -

Dear all,

as you may have noticed, I am not much supporting you lately - and I won't be able to do so for some time.

Unfortunately I finally find myself facing the burn-out-syndrome. That means, I need to dump all the extra work for an unknown period of time and that will include Score Lock as well.

Since I do not want to leave this project dying, I will put all I have got into source forge net, as soon as I find the energy for.

I am sorry, that I can not do more for you at the moment.

With best regards
  John

by Munckfish _ -
John,

Why not see if we can get ScoreLock into the Moodle cvs:/contrib location instead (I'm not sure what the process is to do that)? Then maybe others can continue to build on it and support it while you're away.

Cheers

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi John,

thanks for your work.

I hope you will not read that post soon, keep your energy for yourself.

Take care,

Bernard

p.s Activities locking for 1.7 is on the way and the use of depreciated moodle functions will be probably applicable to score lock too.

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Eric Eberhardt -
Greetings Bernard,

Do you know if score lock v1.0 will be modified for Moodle 1.7+? I know there has been a lot of postings about it. I heard that v1.8 or v1.9 might include some native activity locking, but I don't know if that is true.

Any insight you have would be great.

Regards,

Eric
In reply to Eric Eberhardt

by Bernard Boucher -

Hi Eric,

activities locking and ScoreLock are only hacks, that mean that they are not upgraded with all other moodle files. In official Moodle roadmap conditional activities are planned to be included in Moodle version 2.0.

When 1.7 wil be stabilized ( 1.7.1 ) I will probably update AL 2.0 from that table to 1.7.1 but without full group support, only using depreciated functions. If time permit, maybe I will give a try to undate ScoreLock with the same limited group support, but I don't promise it.

I hope it may help,

Bernard

by David Cogg -

Hi Bernard,

We currently use Activity Locking in Version 1.54. We would like to update to 1.7+ in the near future. I was wondering if you know if Activity Locking or Scorelock is any closer to being released for the newer version?

Thanks

Dave 

In reply to David Cogg

Re: Activity locking 2.0 for 1.7.1

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Dave,
as promised but 1 month later check it there.

Please don't test it on a production server.

Let me know if it works fine ( I don't use 1.7.1 yet )

I hope it may help,

Bernard

Re: Activity locking 2.0 for 1.7.1

by Douglas Dixon -

Hi, all, I have updated score lock to work with the latest moodle 1.7+ code as of 7-21-2007. It also includes backup and restore capabilities. I am waiting on funding before I update it for moodle 1.8 or 1.9, but I thought I would share the updates with the rest of you.

Due to the file size the archive is split into 2 parts. You will have to download both parts before extracting.