Server overloading due to Cron on LINUX

Server overloading due to Cron on LINUX

by K.James Mathai -
Number of replies: 1
I have purchased space on LINUX based webserver and hosted moodle on it but on activating Cron after every 5 minutes through cPanel my account is using almost 50% of CPU and is causing  problems to the server. It had overloaded the server and in doing so, affected all the other accounts in the server as well.
Please let me know why it is overloading the server and what is the optimum time interval. How can I overcome this problem

Dr.K.James Mathai
Average of ratings: -
In reply to K.James Mathai

Re: Server overloading due to Cron on LINUX

by Dan Stowell -
If possible, call cron.php using the php executable rather than wget or curl. This is probably not an option since you're using a hosted service though.

There was a bug in the "statistics" tool in Moodle 1.6 which I think could cause problems like this, which is fixed in a more recent release. (I'm remembering an answer someone else gave, so I can't be precise, sorry.) So upgrading may fix this.

(Unless you're desperate to have stats, you could disable the statistics generation since it's the most costly thing cron does [in most situations].)

Reducing the frequency of cron down to 15 minutes (or lower) should be fine too.