Best way to give people view permissions to all courses

Best way to give people view permissions to all courses

by Ruth Bradley -
Number of replies: 3

I would like all staff users in my Moodle to be able to view all courses, once they are logged in (without being enrolled or participating).

In my test site, I have duplicated the authenticated user role and changed Capabilities/moodle/course:view to Allow.  I have then assigned this role to my test user and it seems to work.  Would this be a sensible way of giving view all courses permissions or is there a recommended way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ruth Bradley

Re: Best way to give people view permissions to all courses

by Ray Lawrence -

Hi,

Would Guest access work?

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ruth Bradley -

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try this. I thought guest access was for external use? If I open the course up to guest access does this mean that the person still has to logon?

In reply to Ruth Bradley

by Teresa Gibbison -

Hi Ruth

I'm guessing you also have Students as well as staff accessing your Moodle site?  Also can you confirm that you don't want the students to be able to view all the courses?  Can you let us know what version of Moodle you are running and how many staff users you are talking about - is it 30 or 300?

I would not alter the Authenticated User role as that would provide EVERYONE (including the students) the ability to view all the courses and means you cannot exclude anyone.  Others may do this differently but I would create a new role called 'Staff Member' who was allowed to view courses and assign the relevant users to it.  Remember that permissions may conflict with a user's other role so you'd need to fully test your set up smile 

Guest access does let people view courses without logging in unless you force everyone to log into the site - this of course depends on how you use Moodle smile
If you do force everyone to log in then guest access would let any user (who is already logged in) access the courses - including students!

Cheers
Teresa