Enter grades as letters & hiding category totals

Enter grades as letters & hiding category totals

by Carly Born -
Number of replies: 3
We have a number of faculty who want to use Gradbook to communicate grades to larg classes, but not necessarily to calculate tose grade totals. These faculty generally want to enter letter grades into the grade book.

So I could make them a letter scale and have them use that, but it's disturbing to them and the students because the category totals will be weird. Is there any way to hide only the category totals? When I try to hide it in Category and Items, the entire category is hidden.

Thoughts?
In reply to Carly Born

Re: Enter grades as letters & hiding category totals

by Elena Ivanova -
I can suggest a manual and slow workaround.
Go to My Prefrences and set Show show/hide icons to Yes.
Go to the Grader report, turn editing on, and use eye icons to hide grades for category total one by one for each student.
In reply to Carly Born

by Bob Puffer -
Hi Carly,
I've posted earlier in this forum and on NME a very easy hack to allow entering of course grades as letter equivalents and have the gradebook calc the category total points correctly. The CLAMP LAE we'll be working on in January will very likely include my gradebook changes also. Contact me offline, if you desire and I will assist in any way.
In reply to Carly Born

by Neil S -
Hi Carly,

We've used the following method to 'hide' category and course totals...

On each category (and probably the course total category)...

Select 'simple weighted mean' for the category aggregation method...
On each category select 'edit' and set 'grade type' to none... save it...
Make sure all the categories and items are visible...

You should now see grades for just the items... the category and course totals will not be displayed.

Take care,
Neil